View Full Version : Self chain adjustment

Joshua95
April 9th, 2014, 01:58 PM
Hi guys I'm struggling trying to adjust my chain. So long story short I can't loosen the axle nut. I put the open wrench 24mm that comes from the kit and 17mm socket on the other nut. I try to go left on 24mm to loosen it but the 17 also keep moving??? How do I loosen the nut?

EternalNewb
April 9th, 2014, 02:05 PM
You have to use another wrench to brace/hold the 17, while loosening the castle nut.

Joshua95
April 9th, 2014, 02:12 PM
I only have a socket and ratchet for 17mm don't have any other tools. So for the 24mm I go left and the 17mm also right to loosen? Do I have to loosen the adjuster nut before I loosen the axle nut?

csmith12
April 9th, 2014, 02:15 PM
I only have a socket and ratchet for 17mm don't have any other tools. So for the 24mm I go left and the 17mm also right to loosen? Do I have to loosen the adjuster nut before I loosen the axle nut?

I normally go for the axle nut first but I don't think the order really matters. Sounds like you need some more tools. Sometimes, you have to use both at the same time, one going left, the other going right or at least the 17mm is held static while you work the castle nut.

Got a friend with some tools?

Joshua95
April 9th, 2014, 02:24 PM
Unfortunately I don't have any friends that have tools. Can I somehow loosen the castle nut while the axle bolt turning?

EternalNewb
April 9th, 2014, 02:27 PM
I usually just hold the 17 static while loosening the 24. If you don't brace it, you won't be able to loosen the castle nut. If you don't have the tools, call the local hardware store and get what you need. You'll probably have to adjust the chain in the future, so it's a worthwhile investment and shouldn't cost much.

Joshua95
April 9th, 2014, 02:35 PM
I see your right lol I'm dumb the axle bolt was inside the castle nut. Could you please tell me the tools that I need. I will go get them on the weekend.

EternalNewb
April 9th, 2014, 02:38 PM
Depends on what you have. I usually just hold the 17 with a crescent wrench, and loosen the 24 using a socket wrench. Make sure you have spare cotter pins, and you should be set.

Joshua95
April 10th, 2014, 10:59 AM
Hmm I do have crescent wrench but the very big one I don't have the regular size one. I currently don't have anything that could brace the axle bolt from turning, and also the castle nut is so f****** hard to turn.

broilmebk
April 10th, 2014, 11:18 AM
I see your right lol I'm dumb the axle bolt was inside the castle nut. Could you please tell me the tools that I need. I will go get them on the weekend.

An impact wrench is a worthwhile investment. I have no troubles removing the axle nut and front sprocket nut :thumbup:

tfkrocks
April 10th, 2014, 11:23 AM
Breaker bars are your best friend

Joshua95
April 10th, 2014, 12:47 PM
I looked up on the internet and it seems like breaker bar will do the job of loosening the castle nut. I guess for right now I will invest on breaker bar first since its cheaper than impact wrench. But what would you guys suggest me use to brace+hold tight the axle bolt from moving? what did you guys normally use?

tfkrocks
April 10th, 2014, 05:33 PM
Breaker bar for the castle nut. Regular old ratchet on the other side. Never had a problem.

CZroe
May 10th, 2014, 09:52 AM
I looked up on the internet and it seems like breaker bar will do the job of loosening the castle nut. I guess for right now I will invest on breaker bar first since its cheaper than impact wrench. But what would you guys suggest me use to brace+hold tight the axle bolt from moving? what did you guys normally use?

You said that you have the original tool kit and it does have a 17mm open-end wrench that you can use to hold the other side. That said, I've still lifted the bike right off the stand when trying to loosen the axle nut! Having a lot of leverage to give it a jerk helps (kinda how an impact wrench works). To do this with the stock tool kit, I secure the 17mm wrench to the axle with a zip tie or have someone else hold it while I attack the axle nut with my improvised breaker bar:
Put the shock adjustment tool into one end of the pipe handle piece and the axle nut wrench into the other. This will be quite a bit longer than the axle nut wrench + pipe handle alone and give you much more leverage.

supernoob
May 11th, 2014, 07:48 AM
you can use a pipe for the breaker bar it just needs to fit over the ratchet or the wrench you are using.

jkv45
May 12th, 2014, 08:27 AM
A 1/2" drive ratchet and socket should do it. You may have to put a wrench on the other side and, while standing directly behind the rear tire, pull up on the nut with the ratchet while also holding the end of the bolt (pushing down) with the wrench at the same time to stop it from spinning. I've never needed a breaker-bar, but it might help if you are working alone.

If it's that tight, having a helper will make it a lot easier.

Here's a link to a good video showing the proper way to set the chain tension -

http://www.canyonchasers.net/video/chain.php

verboten1
May 12th, 2014, 08:34 AM
silly question, but did you take the pin out of the nut?

I just took mine off with 2 crescent wrenches, and as far as I can tell it hasn't been loosened yet. it was tight, but not prohibitively so

CZroe
May 12th, 2014, 09:12 AM
A 1/2" drive ratchet and socket should do it. You may have to put a wrench on the other side and, while standing directly behind the rear tire, pull up on the nut with the ratchet while also holding the end of the bolt (pushing down) with the wrench at the same time to stop it from spinning. I've never needed a breaker-bar, but it might help if you are working alone.

If it's that tight, having a helper will make it a lot easier.

Here's a link to a good video showing the proper way to set the chain tension -

http://www.canyonchasers.net/video/chain.php

I don't like his wrench-between-the-chain/sprockets technique. I heard from a member here that you should use a rag to use up the slack there, which sounds a lot easier on the surfaces to me.

Other than that, it all sounds like great advice!