View Full Version : Isn't this a cool idea?

speedgsx98
April 17th, 2009, 03:19 PM
http://www.privateersgarage.com/garage.htm

So, I can yank my wheels off and bring my tires down there, or do the whole thing there myself in under an hour for $25 both tires changed. I used to have tire machines in my own garage, but had to sell them when I moved to a condo.

I have a new set of mt-75 pirellis in my room waiting to go on. I ordered 3 tire irons from motorcycle superstore and was going to try and put them on by hand. It will be a pita. If I can't get them on, i'll go to this place, as the next alternative in town wants $30 per tire off the bike. Crazy SoCal labor rates =(

kkim
April 17th, 2009, 03:22 PM
have you seen this DIY?
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10296

speedgsx98
April 17th, 2009, 03:33 PM
good stuff. If one was reading this on their own, they might actually think changing their own tires is easy. It all about getting the proper leverage points, and not scratching the wheels. I used to be a motorcycle mechanic, and former tire shop manager...but I haven't changed a tire by hand in 15 years. I just refuse to pay their inflated prices. I'd rather me and a few friends go in on a machine before paying these guys the money they're asking to do this. It's just crazy, especially tire changes off the bike. If you could actually get a shop to do tire changes by hourly, it would be .1 hour per tire, but no...they have to ream you =(

sometimesido
April 17th, 2009, 03:46 PM
I have changed my own tire before, but sometimes I take it to the shop.
my shop charges me 25 bucks?
and they're not some podunk shop. they prep race bikes.

If I factor in all the tools I need to change a tire, time, space, my back, I think 25 bucks is decent.
but yea, it is a cool idea.

1hardryder4life
April 17th, 2009, 04:04 PM
The homie who started that biz is a good dude. Reps for him!

JCCJMM_
April 18th, 2009, 09:05 AM
I mounted up my Diablos about a year ago. IMO it is actually pretty easy. I was even able to break the beads with just the tire irons.

The only part that was frustrating was mounting the new front tire. Simply because I did the rear tire first....saving the hard part for last. The tire irons were flying around everywhere and my rim protectors kept falling inside the tire.

But, overall, really not a hard job. And most of all......very rewarding.

djpharoah
April 18th, 2009, 09:30 AM
It costs $20 for tire mounting per tire at my Kawi dealership. I just don't bother considering they mount the new tire, can fill it up with nitrogen, dispose of the old tire and balance the new one.

sometimesido
April 18th, 2009, 09:48 AM
hahah, 20 bucks at the dealership?
they quoted me 75 per tire.

zartan
April 18th, 2009, 09:51 AM
I think the concept is really great to be able to rent a safe clean place to work on your bike. I hope they can grow to more locations. the cat hair alone even after a good cleaning and blowing out makes me cring to try to do any carb work in my garage :)....

Lots of people live in apts and do not have a work space and sometimes it's just the zen of working on your bike that will make it worthwhile.

Alex
April 18th, 2009, 11:28 AM
hahah, 20 bucks at the dealership?
they quoted me 75 per tire.

I don't think you're comparing apples and oranges. The $75 per tire was likely if you rode your bike in and they did all the labor of taking the wheels off, mounting and balancing the new tires, reinstalling wheels, and you riding away. The $20 is when someone carries the the new tires in along with the wheels off the bike and all the shop is doing is mounting and balancing the tires onto the wheels.

Flashmonkey
April 18th, 2009, 12:04 PM
I wish they had this kind of thing for cars....well at least in my area. It's a huge PITA to lift up a car, especially if it's been "lowered" and the regular hydraulic jacks won't fit underneath. :rolleyes:

HKr1
April 18th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Nice idea!

This sentence makes my head hurt:

What can I all do at Privateer's Garage?

Wish they would add more stuff to the hobby shop geared towards bikes.

sometimesido
April 18th, 2009, 03:52 PM
I don't think you're comparing apples and oranges. The $75 per tire was likely if you rode your bike in and they did all the labor of taking the wheels off, mounting and balancing the new tires, reinstalling wheels, and you riding away. The $20 is when someone carries the the new tires in along with the wheels off the bike and all the shop is doing is mounting and balancing the tires onto the wheels.

ok, they wanted 45 off the bike.

TnNinjaGirl
April 18th, 2009, 03:54 PM
I think it's a great idea. I would be afraid of liability though. How does he go about that issue?

HKr1
April 18th, 2009, 06:22 PM
ok, they wanted 45 off the bike.

Theres only two places here that will put on "your" tires. One wants 45 per wheel no matter what - the other will go 40 ea wheel if you bring rims/tires in.

The other places will not change tires unless, you buy the tires from them.

This place freaking sucks!

Alex
April 18th, 2009, 08:16 PM
I can't believe there are places charging over $40 per wheel for tire mounting off the bike. At that rate ($80 per set of new tires), I'd start considering my own tire changing machine. A few friends have different types, and from what I've learned from their successes and failures, it will run about a grand for a unit that will be reasonably straightforward to use, unlikely to damage rims, can handle not only the ninjette's more narrow rims as well as the 6" rims on the 10R, and is built well enough to last quite a few years. At $20/wheel, spending $1000 doesn't make sense. But at $40 - $45 per, it starts to add up a little quicker...

JaeL
April 18th, 2009, 08:39 PM
http://www.privateersgarage.com/garage.htm

So, I can yank my wheels off and bring my tires down there, or do the whole thing there myself in under an hour for $25 both tires changed. I used to have tire machines in my own garage, but had to sell them when I moved to a condo.

I have a new set of mt-75 pirellis in my room waiting to go on. I ordered 3 tire irons from motorcycle superstore and was going to try and put them on by hand. It will be a pita. If I can't get them on, i'll go to this place, as the next alternative in town wants $30 per tire off the bike. Crazy SoCal labor rates =(

Perfect for guys without and/or without buddies with garages.