View Full Version : can't figure out what is wrong!

goodwin22
April 11th, 2014, 12:05 PM
so my engine has been making a very loud tapping noise and has lost a lot of power. this first happened when i was riding to work and the bike just lost all power. at first no noise but i thought it might be low oil. went and got oil and put a quart in. start the bike up and now it sounds like its gonna blow up. get the bike home and take the whole motor off after i see that there is a ton of oil on the spark plugs. take the head off and replace the head gasket cleaned the carbs and even adjusted the valves all to .006. put it all back together and it still sounds horrible. any ideas?

subxero
April 11th, 2014, 12:15 PM
video with sound, pictures of things might help.

But you just put more oil (a quart!!) in it with out checking level, no oil light or anything :eek:

To much oil is a bad thing, oil on your plugs? not just carbon? You have oil getting into the cylinder it would seem. You say "take whole motor off", Im assuming that just means the valve cover ;) EDIT: oh you say cylinder head as well, right? if so what did your rings look like assuming they were still intact :bounce: any pitting on top of piston?

It sounds like you have issues in your bottom end for sure, not sure what shape your piston, rings, cylinders are in. You say you did valves and that seemed all good, cams, cam chain, CCT ect...?

DaBlue1
April 11th, 2014, 12:26 PM
..... it still sounds horrible. any ideas?

Sound like this?

6OgBeCttHCw

goodwin22
April 11th, 2014, 12:58 PM
sounds similar but maybe even like a louder noise. not sure just with the sound on the video could be distorted bc i know atleast on mine it is loud as hell.

goodwin22
April 11th, 2014, 01:06 PM
dropped the whole motor out so it would be easier to work on. took the whole top end off and changed the head gasket and redid the valve cover gasket. didn't notice any pitting but plenty of carbon build up on the pistons. the piston rings seemed fine but im no expert. what could be wrong on the bottom end?

goodwin22
April 11th, 2014, 01:15 PM
what ended up wrong with that one?

DaBlue1
April 11th, 2014, 01:33 PM
what ended up wrong with that one?

Spin rod bearing.

goodwin22
April 11th, 2014, 01:48 PM
is it worth replacing. and where could i find a good bearing. looked around the interwebs and that sounds like it could be the problem.

DaBlue1
April 11th, 2014, 02:23 PM
is it worth replacing. and where could i find a good bearing. looked around the interwebs and that sounds like it could be the problem.

Probably cheaper and easier to buy a slightly used engine. Chances are you'll be replacing more than just the bearings.

subxero
April 11th, 2014, 05:08 PM
dropped the whole motor out so it would be easier to work on. took the whole top end off and changed the head gasket and redid the valve cover gasket. didn't notice any pitting but plenty of carbon build up on the pistons. the piston rings seemed fine but im no expert. what could be wrong on the bottom end?

bottom end, could be lots of things, but you can check some of it with the top end apart/cylinders off. rotate the crank for each side, listen feel, check for play. Take clutch cover off and look for anything odd, sometimes things will collect at the bottom, metal shavings, small pieces if broke. Check the oil screen if you haven't already for small pieces metal shavings ect...

You cam chain tensioner is functioning properly right?