View Full Version : Convex Mirrors

chess
April 18th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Maybe the best $4 I've spent in a while...

This might be a farkle, I don't know...but since it technically probably makes the bike LOOK worse, I'll stick it here. I see it as a safety upgrade.

I had the 3.75" version of these on my Virago, but they are too tall for the Ninjette's mirrors. Today, I saw the 3" version at O'Reilly's while I was trying to get a Wix oil filter. They're $2 each, and they don't look all that bad. They increase my visibility by quite a bit...or at least my confidence in my visibility.

The brand is Hot Spots, and I recommend the 3" version (3.75" won't fit and 2" is too small to see). Also, I recommend placing them as far outboard as you can to increase your field of vision directly behind you.

Be safe out there!

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-HSM~49202.htm?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=ppc

TrueFaith
April 18th, 2009, 06:36 PM
A lot of us got the 1.5" ones from Walmart for $1.50 each, but it's pretty well known that these stick-on convex mirrors are about the only way to see anything but your elbows in the Ninja's mirrors. :rolleyes:

Snake
April 18th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the tip. They look good.

Sound Wave
April 18th, 2009, 07:12 PM
i got the 2" ones. it helps in the day, but they are kind of useless at night if there are a bunch of cars behind me.

Alex
April 18th, 2009, 08:11 PM
That my friend, is a farkle. ;)

/thread moved...

miks
April 18th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Nothing wrong about them, doesn't look too bad!

snowlife
April 19th, 2009, 10:02 AM
I really think that they look like **** (general). BUT if they came as standard it would be another story, no mod lines. I had a hire car mitsu lancer 2004ish that had great convex mirrors, I could see the whole world out of those mirrors. I really appreciated it as a motorbike rider. I wish they did it on bikes.

mxnello
April 19th, 2009, 01:10 PM
K-Mart and NAPA both have little rectangular ones, look good and do the job, they look much better than the round ones

zail
April 19th, 2009, 01:49 PM
I got some mirror extenders - they make the world of difference! Now I can see road, not elbows!

kkim
April 19th, 2009, 01:59 PM
I got some mirror extenders - they make the world of difference! Now I can see road, not elbows!

where did you get the extenders from and how much were they?

sorry for the thread hijack, but any pictures? :D

mike_sema
April 19th, 2009, 02:17 PM
i got this from cycle gear for 4 bucks

zail
April 19th, 2009, 02:37 PM
extenders were £30 ... would upload pic but ridiculous replacement laptop doesn't have bluetooth :( Kawa make their own but the ones I got were made by a German co called SW-Motech - they are the same ones as for the ER-6 F (06) and the GPZ500 (94onwards) .. they fit loads of other models too - not sure if US and Europe model names are the same? They are worth their weight in gold and realy easy to fit - they fit into the original mounting and then the mirrors fit into them giving loads more adjustment and er, rear view :)

kkim
April 19th, 2009, 02:50 PM
thanks. was this the part #? SVL.08.500.100

and look like this?
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2516/220/

Sound Wave
April 19th, 2009, 02:52 PM
extenders were £30 ... would upload pic but ridiculous replacement laptop doesn't have bluetooth :( Kawa make their own but the ones I got were made by a German co called SW-Motech - )

are these the ones you are talking about? http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2516/704/

edit: lol, kelly you beat me!

zail
April 19th, 2009, 03:12 PM
yep.. that's them - was just going to edit post with part no but you guys beat me to it! lol

kkim
April 19th, 2009, 03:21 PM
cool... thank you, Zail. :yo:

do you think you would be able to post some closeup pics anytime soon?

chess
April 19th, 2009, 03:23 PM
I really think that they look like **** (general). BUT if they came as standard it would be another story, no mod lines.

I agree, but *shrug* it's just the mirrors.

I had a hire car mitsu lancer 2004ish that had great convex mirrors, I could see the whole world out of those mirrors. I really appreciated it as a motorbike rider. I wish they did it on bikes.

Agreed, and I can't imagine why they don't.

py2e
April 20th, 2009, 09:37 AM
I installed the mirror extenders on my bike. Sorry I don't have an up close pic... It doesn't affect the look of the bike at all, but it helps so much.

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2756/1/113/517186461/n517186461_1576941_3820045.jpg

kkim
April 20th, 2009, 12:11 PM
I installed the mirror extenders on my bike. Sorry I don't have an up close pic... It doesn't affect the look of the bike at all, but it helps so much.

are they the same extenders that Zail posted about?

py2e
April 20th, 2009, 12:20 PM
are they the same extenders that Zail posted about?

yea

kkim
April 20th, 2009, 12:20 PM
thank ye, sir. :yo:

Sound Wave
April 20th, 2009, 02:21 PM
cool. thanks people. i think i am going to have to pick up a set.

so you don't have to tuck your elbow in anymore to see behind you?

py2e
April 20th, 2009, 02:31 PM
I can see fine without tucking them in, but I see more when I do.

zail
April 20th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Here's a close up pic for you all - only took the one angle though.. doh! And yes, no more elbow tucking! Hurrah!

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=114&pictureid=1129

kkim
April 20th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Thanks! :)

do you notice more vibration distortion in the mirrors? That was the one complaint I've heard from others that have used extenders on other bikes.

zail
April 20th, 2009, 02:57 PM
not noticed any vibration at all -maybe I'm just not going fast enough though??? lol

dyeclan
April 20th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Ah crap, there goes another $65 bucks. Seriously though, this is the most useful thread hijack evar!

py2e
April 20th, 2009, 03:38 PM
not noticed any vibration at all -maybe I'm just not going fast enough though??? lol

I have not noticed any vibrations at all either... even at 85 mph... unless you consider that as slow :(

Sound Wave
April 20th, 2009, 08:23 PM
thanks zail and pete. ordered a set. damn shipping fees to hawaii. too bad they didn't have usps as an option. only ups.

i am sure these will definitely be better than my 2" convex mirrors.

kkim
April 20th, 2009, 08:25 PM
damn... we should have ordered together and halved the shipping. I have not ordered mine yet, but will soon.

py2e
April 20th, 2009, 08:28 PM
thanks zail and pete. ordered a set. damn shipping fees to hawaii. too bad they didn't have usps as an option. only ups.

i am sure these will definitely be better than my 2" convex mirrors.

I use both actually, but I place mine on the inside. I hope you like them because it is expensive!

Sound Wave
April 20th, 2009, 08:46 PM
damn... we should have ordered together and halved the shipping. I have not ordered mine yet, but will soon.
sorry. it didn't even cross my mind. :o but yeah, i will call them to see if i can change the order.

I use both actually, but I place mine on the inside. I hope you like them because it is expensive!
well, if i DON'T like it, then i will sell it to you at a marked up price since you are partly responsible. :D but seriously, i think i will probably leave my convex ones on too. more vision is better.

py2e
April 20th, 2009, 08:50 PM
sorry. it didn't even cross my mind. :o but yeah, i will call them to see if i can change the order.

well, if i DON'T like it, then i will sell it to you at a marked up price since you are partly responsible. :D but seriously, i think i will probably leave my convex ones on too. more vision is better.

Why would I need another set? You might as well sell it to someone else at a marked up price, and then split the profit with me... because I'm partly responsible. :thumbup:

Sound Wave
April 23rd, 2009, 06:27 PM
unbelievable. i received the mirror extenders in the mail. one kit for myself and one for kkim.

anyways, i open up the first one thinking i was going to install it today. one of the bolts if filled solid... plus the tip is not even shaped the same. one is a cylinder and the one that is filled solid kind of bulges out in the center. there is no recess for the allen bolt to fit. great quality control. lol. anyways, i emailed them asking them to send me a replacement via 2 day ups (the same method i used to order it). i will see what they say.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o8/sound_wavez/DSC_0005-1.jpg

kkim
April 23rd, 2009, 06:31 PM
open up my kit and see if you can use parts from mine to get yours installed. Technically, you own both kits till I pay you. :D

I want you to install them to see what a difference they will make for me. :p

that was quick!

Sound Wave
April 23rd, 2009, 06:38 PM
the other kit seems fine. i didn't want to take from the good one. can't ride anyways for the next couple days with the storm that is supposed to hit.

i will see what they have to say first. hopefully they reply by tomorrow. i would just run down to the hardware store, but i don't know if these are specially treated not to rust or what... besides, they should be held accountable for replacing defective items free of charge.

kkim
April 23rd, 2009, 06:42 PM
Gary,

use the parts from the other kit... no problem. I'm not in a rush and will be traveling till 02may09.

yeah, make sure they give you another bolt, but in the mean time, mount yours up. :)

I wanna know how well they work! :D

Sound Wave
April 23rd, 2009, 06:47 PM
thanks! i will try to mount them later on tonight as long as the hospital leaves me alone. hopefully this bolt thing is squared away by the time our other order comes in middle of next week.

kkim
April 23rd, 2009, 07:01 PM
cool... looking forward to a full DIY, so take plenty pictures!! :lol:

komohana
April 23rd, 2009, 08:25 PM
cool... looking forward to a full DIY, so take plenty pictures!! :lol:

dang bruddah gary...didn't you see that one coming? :pound:

py2e
April 23rd, 2009, 08:35 PM
SW,

Sorry to see that. :(

Sound Wave
April 23rd, 2009, 10:27 PM
thinking about it made me tired and i took a nap. lol. gonna try a diy this weekend when i got some daylight.

zail
April 24th, 2009, 01:17 PM
That's annoying about the bolts... must be a problem in the bolt factory as when I got my R & G exhaust hanger the 10 mm bolt had a damaged thread and althiugh I phoned them a week ago the replacement still hasn't arrived ... I used a spare bolt off a old bike that's standing in the garage but I need a new shiny one!

Buffalony
April 24th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Maybe we can get Cheng (Ride2Max) to craft up some better looking knock offs for us eh? Sure these are VERY, VERY called for. They look too boxy and outta place for my taste, not visually pleasing against the bike, "IMO"

ninjabrewer
April 25th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Now those things look interesting, very interesting. Might have to get me a pair of those.
Gary, let me know how you like those.

nb