View Full Version : Top Case vs Tank Bag

rasta
April 12th, 2014, 06:11 PM
Got a new job so my commute is about to get quite a bit longer. I might start taking the ninjette if it's too long in the cage. Which of the two options would you choose? I'm leaning towards the top case for 2 reasons, 1) I go to the gym after work, and I think the top case would better be able to accommodate my gym bag; and 2) I feel like a tank bag would affect my ability to tuck.

Your thoughts?

Edit: Just so you get an idea of what I'll be carrying, so you can get an idea for the amount of cargo space I might need:

Work stuff (papers etc)
Work shoes, pants, shirt
Gym bag (shoes, shorts)

Motofool
April 12th, 2014, 06:14 PM
The top case may make your steering wobbling in high crosswinds or heavy loading.

Don't tuck. :)

accumack
April 12th, 2014, 06:23 PM
I have both but really love my Nelson-Rigg magnetic tank bag. http://www.nelsonrigg.com/store/product.aspx?pid=1687

dcj13
April 12th, 2014, 06:31 PM
I have both for my K75 (as well as panniers). Far and away, I use the topbox more than the tankbag. The topbox is fugly, but lockable and, therefore, relatively safe to leave on the bike. With respect to a load up high and at the rear of the bike, don't carry your tungsten stash or gold bars in it (tungsten is about the same density as gold). Hernan has a good point about a topbox being a windsail, but if it's reasonably sized, you'll be able to live with it.

After all, Rojoracer carries his damn bicycle back there! Granted, he's a skilled rider. Plus it's a good way to start conversations with the ladies. (The bicycle on the back of the motorcycle, not the topbox).

tfkrocks
April 12th, 2014, 06:31 PM
I've done a lot of commuting with both and I like the top case so much more. My 47L top case can hold my helmet, gloves, knee armor, overpants, and some emergency kit stuff. It's hard and it locks so I feel ok about leaving my gear in it. I could stuff everything but the helmet in my tank bag, but then i'd still have to drag it with me, so i'd have my helmet in one hand and my tank bag in the other. Carrying around all that **** gets old. I would never leave the tank bag on the bike because it's too easy for someone to just walk off with it or just open it. Same deal with tail bags. Between tail bags and tank bags, tail bags are more comfortable for riding, but tank bags are nice for being able to have easily visible written directions.

I haven't noticed any handling issues with the top case. Yes the tank bag will prevent you from tucking.

rasta
April 12th, 2014, 06:32 PM
If you vote other, please be a champ and specify what :)

antiant
April 12th, 2014, 06:33 PM
Other - Tailbag. That's what I personally use + Kriega backpack.

dcj13
April 12th, 2014, 06:36 PM
If you vote other, please be a champ and specify what :)

I was wondering about that as well, thinking you meant shopping bag, backpack, or something.

tfkrocks
April 12th, 2014, 06:40 PM
If you want, you can borrow some of my luggage to test out what you might like better, not including the top case. I have a very large tank bag and various sizes of tail bags.

rasta
April 12th, 2014, 06:43 PM
I must first install a bracket before using any sort of top case right?

Thanks tfkrocks, I will take you up on that sometime

Kevin1956
April 12th, 2014, 06:43 PM
I use a Rapid Transit 19 liter magnetic bag and a 27 liter Coocase. Great tank bag, fits the new gen tank better than any others I've seen. The Coocase isn't enormous like most, so it doesn't look too goofy. It's of very good quality. I really don't pack the top case with much weight when riding, so not to affect handling. I use it mostly for locking up either my jacket or helmet. The price is an absolute bargain, currently around $35 from Twisted Throttle. They're being closed out and are on sale.

tfkrocks
April 12th, 2014, 06:49 PM
I must first install a bracket before using any sort of top case right?

With all givi stuff you need the bracket arms and a mounting plate. Dunno about if you get stuff from other manufacturers.

Kevin1956
April 12th, 2014, 06:55 PM
rasta, you can get a SW Motech luggage rack for your bike from Twisted Throttle, or a Hepco-Becker rack from Moto Machines. You'll need one to mount a topcase. The other, and cheapest, way to mount a top case is to buy a used rear seat off of eBay, strip the uphoulstery off and bolt the top case's mounting bracket to the seat pan. (They come with the top case.) The only drawback, you can't carry a passenger. If you plan on carring anything heavy, the seat pan method would be prefered as it centers the load over the axle, which is less likely to affect handling.

rasta
April 12th, 2014, 06:57 PM
What mounting rack would y'all suggest

Edit: didn't see Kevin's post till after I posted dis one:)

capt_bugaloo
April 12th, 2014, 07:11 PM
I use a Wolfman magnetic tank bag, but I usually only carry a lunch and maybe a few papers on my commute.

I used to have a bungee-strap tail bag, and I really liked it: I'm thinking of buying another.

Kevin1956
April 12th, 2014, 07:11 PM
The SW Motech Alu-Rack from Twisted Throttle. Cheaper than the Hepco-Becker rack. Easy 20 minute or so installation. Currently around $177.

tfkrocks
April 12th, 2014, 07:28 PM
I thought about doing a seat mounting setup, but I feel like that might interfere with wearing a backpack. Another thing to consider is that you can no longer have a tail bag. I like having the option to carry way much stuff :D

accumack
April 12th, 2014, 07:39 PM
I have my Givi mounted to my rear seat with 2" velcro straps I got at Walmart for about $5.
it will hold more than the rated weight of the Givi mono key case

Kevin1956
April 12th, 2014, 07:39 PM
One of the most versatile pieces of luggage I have, I made myself. I didn't want to spend a bunch of bucks on a tail bag. I used a $20 duffel, a $17 (inc shipping) used seat from eBay, and some nuts and bolts I already had. To stiffen the bag and to keep it from sagging, a $3 cookie sheet from Walmart is silicone glued to the bottom on the inside. It was a perfect fit. Not waterproof, but it works well, hold a lot, and it locks to the bike. No bungees or straps needed. I carry my seat in the bag when using it. I unlock the bag from the bike, put the seat back on, and I'm on my way.

iplante
April 13th, 2014, 01:23 PM
I have a top case, a tail bag, saddle bags, and a tank bag.

All have their uses.

xSean13
April 13th, 2014, 01:34 PM
If you decide to go with a tank bag, I do have one laying around for sale, feel free to offer:

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=127081

ChrisMKV
April 13th, 2014, 02:24 PM
Other - Tailbag. That's what I personally use + Kriega backpack.

Another vote for a tailbag. Unless you have a seat cowl, they put the space behind you to good use.

tfkrocks
April 13th, 2014, 06:32 PM
Caveat with the tail bags is that they might get awkward when wearing a backpack.

Sirref
April 13th, 2014, 06:45 PM
I don't have either but am considering investing in a tank bag to take the annoyance of a backpack when going to class and having something to hold my phone/wallet on fun rides.

considering something like this
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-urban-tank-bag

I am worried that it would get in the way a little bit while riding aggressively but I usually don't lay on the tank so I'd probably be good, it would also be pretty useful on the trip to deals gap next month.

tfkrocks
April 13th, 2014, 06:50 PM
I don't have either but am considering investing in a tank bag to take the annoyance of a backpack when going to class and having something to hold my phone/wallet on fun rides.

considering something like this
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-urban-tank-bag

I am worried that it would get in the way a little bit while riding aggressively but I usually don't lay on the tank so I'd probably be good

That's the one I have. It's huge. I could fit my overpants, knee armor, and boots in there when I got to my destination. Great for carrying a lot of stuff, but it is on the larger side so I have a smaller tank bag for those other times.

Sirref
April 13th, 2014, 06:55 PM
So it would fit a 1pc leather race suit for a trip to deals gap then? I'm debating bringing it and I'm not so sure I want to wear it all the way down even though I can.

tfkrocks
April 13th, 2014, 06:56 PM
So it would fit a 1pc leather race suit for a trip to deals gap then? I'm debating bringing it and I'm not so sure I want to wear it all the way down even though I can.

Not unless you can fold up your leathers into a compact shape. I have not yet found a solution for carrying any leathers around unfortunately because they're all just so damn bulky.

Sirref
April 13th, 2014, 06:58 PM
Not unless you can fold up your leathers into a compact shape. I have not yet found a solution for carrying any leathers around unfortunately because they're all just so damn bulky.

makes sense, I'll probably wear it. It can't be that uncomfortable to wear a race suit for the better part of a day while you put 7-800 miles on your bike.

Also, obviously a change of clothes would fit in said bag. does the bag get in the way at all when you get into a lean or tuck? (3/4 tuck like you would on a highway to get out of the wind a bit)

tfkrocks
April 13th, 2014, 07:00 PM
makes sense, I'll probably wear it. It can't be that uncomfortable to wear a race suit for the better part of a day while you put 7-800 miles on your bike.

As long as you're at a comfortable body temperature, it really shouldn't be too bad to wear the suit for a long time while riding.

Sirref
April 13th, 2014, 07:02 PM
As long as you're at a comfortable body temperature, it really shouldn't be too bad to wear the suit for a long time while riding.

that's probably true, I've worn it for a few 2hr rides without issue. I'm just a little skittish since it's a longer trip :o

rasta
April 13th, 2014, 09:29 PM
Tank bags seem like they'd block the instrument panel. But I'm assuming since so many people use them, it's not really a problem?

Sirref
April 13th, 2014, 09:36 PM
Well the question here is how much you need the instrument cluster. The only thing I really need it for personally is to check how far I am from the speed limit and even then I don't really need that if there's traffic.

Kscreations08
April 13th, 2014, 09:41 PM
When I finish my luggage system, it will have the Cortech Micro Tank Bag

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/images/CTECH-8225-2305-00.jpg

And I was going to get the Cycle Guys fat pack

http://www.thecycleguys.com/product_images/uploaded_images/ducati-1098-fastpack.jpg

But Im really liking the simplicity of Kevin1956's homemade duffle bag

Sirref
April 13th, 2014, 09:49 PM
^ that cortech tankbag looks perfect for a day of canyon carving. Relatively inexpensive too

Kscreations08
April 13th, 2014, 09:50 PM
^^ yep, zips down flat. Even doubles as a comfy pillion cover. :thumbup:

Sirref
April 13th, 2014, 09:52 PM
with how hard the stock seats are I'm sure that would be much appreciated by said pillion passengers

tfkrocks
April 13th, 2014, 10:54 PM
Tank bags seem like they'd block the instrument panel. But I'm assuming since so many people use them, it's not really a problem?

Doesn't block the instrument panel at all, even when fully loaded. I think the positioning of the tank makes it a non-issue.

antiant
April 14th, 2014, 04:55 AM
And I was going to get the Cycle Guys fat pack

http://www.thecycleguys.com/product_images/uploaded_images/ducati-1098-fastpack.jpgI have this and it doesn't get in the way w/my backpack. I also like the fact that you can lower it, so it has a smaller profile if you are only carrying a little bit. Also, love the aesthetic of it, as it doesn't take away from the bike, imo.

dfox
April 14th, 2014, 05:11 AM
I use a tail bag to commute.

Sometimes it's quite loaded... It won't kill your handling, after all, you're just commuting with it, right?

It's out of the way, holds a lot, and comes with me when I get off the bike. It'll double as your duffel bag. Kriega bags would be a nice solution.

I hate using a tank bag. Might just be that mine is huge, but it interferes with my arms since I'm relatively short.

cbinker
April 14th, 2014, 05:21 AM
leave work clothes at work, wear gym clothes under riding gear.

sharky nrk
April 14th, 2014, 08:05 AM
looking back again at that coocase 27 liter on sale. I found my extra rear seat from the race bike so thinking about mounting up the plate that comes with it directly to the seat pan. I do wear a backpack though

rojoracing53
April 14th, 2014, 08:30 AM
It's not even a choice to debate. Top case over tank bag and both if needed. Tucking and commuting, who does that:confused:

rasta
April 14th, 2014, 08:40 AM
leave work clothes at work, wear gym clothes under riding gear.

I work in an office, so it's not as if I wear the same uniform everyday. Maybe they'll give me my own personal closet :lol:

EternalNewb
April 14th, 2014, 08:45 AM
Tucking and commuting, who does that:confused:

:ashamed10: Me? Sometimes. It's mostly because I'm not the biggest out there, and windchill on the freeway (or Angel's Crest, etc.) can get really cold sometimes.

rasta
April 14th, 2014, 08:48 AM
Tucking and commuting, who does that:confused:

People who don't want their head blown around from the wind...?:confused:

tfkrocks
April 14th, 2014, 09:12 AM
I tuck to stay warm.

sharky nrk
April 14th, 2014, 09:19 AM
I tuck to stay warm.

:thumbup:

Sirref
April 14th, 2014, 10:47 AM
People who don't want their head blown around from the wind...?:confused:

rojoracing53 pretty much this even though it's usually not too bad. I'm usually more comfortable in a slight tuck anyway.

dfox
April 14th, 2014, 11:40 AM
I have the super de duper zero gravity sport touring windshield and I still tuck on the highway even when commuting.

Less wind noise. Less fatigue on the arms. Warmer on chilly mornings.

and because fast. :dancecool:

Kevin1956
April 14th, 2014, 09:39 PM
I tuck too, but only at stoplights while waiting for the light to turn green.:dancecool:

Kscreations08
April 14th, 2014, 09:42 PM
I cuddle to stay warm.

FTFY :p