View Full Version : Random Keyring Question

Wade
April 19th, 2009, 02:46 AM
Ok so this week i am planning on getting my Black ninja 250r (ive payed deposit and arranged finance etc) and i had a question.

On my current bike i have wear marks below where you put the key in the ignition from other keys rubbing on the "metal" so i was wondering if i sould just have a seperate keyring for the bike so nothing CAN wear away paint etc or is there a better type of keyring that can prevent this from happening?

Snake
April 19th, 2009, 07:09 AM
This same thing started happening to me so I wound up taking the bike key off of my keyring. When I ride the only thing in the ignition is the bike key and then when I get to my destination I just put it in that little front pocket in my jeans. When I get home the key stays in the ignition since I park the bike in my garage.

Strider
April 19th, 2009, 07:14 AM
:whathesaid:

No key ring here! I do not like scratches ...

TrueFaith
April 19th, 2009, 07:14 AM
I use one of these non-scratching key rings:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KAWASAKI-KEY-RING-CHIAN_W0QQitemZ140314518412QQcmdZViewItemQQptZApparel_Merchandise?hash=item14031 4518412&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

I also have a rubber Kawasaki one on my spare key that also prevents scratching.

CC Cowboy
April 19th, 2009, 09:22 AM
I never use a key ring.

Grn99Kawi
April 19th, 2009, 09:47 AM
I have the rubber "Green K" Kawasaki key ring on mine.. no other keys on it though.. no scratches.

kkim
April 19th, 2009, 10:45 AM
I never use a key ring and not because of scratches, but because any other weight on a key in an ignition can wear the ignition lock tumblers out.

Most people that have ignition problems are females who tend to have tons of stuff and cutesy figures attached to their key rings. :confused: Over time, the vibration from the vehicle plus the weight of the things attached to the keyring wears out the internal workings of the ignition mecahnism.

Also, lube your ignition. I use Triflow, a Teflon based lubricant, in all my locks and ignitions. One little squirt in there works wonders to prevent stuck locks and ignition problems. :thumbup:

dyeclan
April 19th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Rubber 'SHIFT' keyring. Already lost one doing the no keyring thing. But I had a single metal keyring and it was chipping the top of the triple tree. Rubber now, very light and still sticks out like a sore thumb so I can find it.

http://www.ridersdiscount.com/images/shift/2009/59904_003_sm.jpg

Sound Wave
April 19th, 2009, 02:16 PM
my keychain removes from my main key chain. all i got on it are the ignition key, disc lock key and the "monster energy kawasaki" rubber key chain.

CC Cowboy
April 19th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Rubber 'SHIFT' keyring. Already lost one doing the no keyring thing. But I had a single metal keyring and it was chipping the top of the triple tree. Rubber now, very light and still sticks out like a sore thumb so I can find it.

http://www.ridersdiscount.com/images/shift/2009/59904_003_sm.jpg

Frank does that key ring light up when it's time to shift?

Jiu Jitsu Player
April 19th, 2009, 06:00 PM
I have my bike key and house key on the same ring. I had the problem with the house key rubbing against the middle part wearing off the paint. When I got my tank protector I cut up a portion of the pro grip tank pad I had and just stuck it on there to keep it from rubbing.

After reading Kkim's post on this, I'll probably just have my bike key as the only key on the ring from now on.

dyeclan
April 19th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Ha, and idiot light keychain... maybe we can get Billy Mays to hock it for us!

wyckedflesh
April 19th, 2009, 07:34 PM
I use a #2 NiteIze S-Biner rated at 10lbs.

This lets me attach it to the D-ring on the helmet when it is on my desk at work, to my main key chain if need be, or a zipper pull if I am running light. The only other key on the ring is the disc lock key.

I have lost loose keys in pockets out on the road before. Cheaper to pay for a new ignition switch later then to have a Locksmith make you a key on the roadside.

Verus Cidere
April 20th, 2009, 10:09 PM
I use a smaller carabiner too. I usually keep my keys on a lanyard that's about 1.5ft long, so they're easier to find and easier to get out of my pocket. I have all my keys attached to the carabiner, which is attached to the lanyard. The carabiners are around $1 at Wal-Mart or Autozone, and they make removing/returning keys to your usualy keyring easy and quick. :D

OldGuy
April 21st, 2009, 07:45 AM
When I ride the only thing in the ignition is the bike key and then when I get to my destination I just put it in that little front pocket in my jeans. When I get home the key stays in the ignition since I park the bike in my garage.

Yup :whathesaid:

py2e
April 21st, 2009, 07:55 AM
my keychain removes from my main key chain. all i got on it are the ignition key, disc lock key and the "monster energy kawasaki" rubber key chain.

Do you have a pic?

smcbride11
April 21st, 2009, 09:38 AM
I've got my ignition key and my garage key on a little aluminum caribiner - the garage key's so small that it doesn't hit the tank, and the caribiner doesn't appear to scratch. My garage key operates the opener so I don't have to worry about getting the garage open, and I don't carry a house key because I've got a touchpad lock on my back door - that's one home improvement that I VERY strongly recommend.

Sound Wave
April 21st, 2009, 10:20 AM
Do you have a pic?

komohana
April 21st, 2009, 10:13 PM
i use just the bike key on a ring w/a short blue piece of flat nylon cord tied to it. wife had it on a chain that i took off cuz the scratch factor. got the blue cord on there so's it's easy to find.

i need help with that... :o

Nemy
April 21st, 2009, 10:19 PM
I was just gonna take the hit on the scratches... cause I have a horrible memory and the less things I have to remember the better :o But now that I see that everyone else removes the key, I might have to jump off the bridge too :rolleyes:

Wade
April 30th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Hey its been a while and i found the perfect solution Here (http://www.petersaccessories.com.au/Keyrings.html) he also has an ebay store for those not in aus just saerch KeySafe Keyrings ill be ordering mine tonight.