View Full Version : Changing cam chain

scorch
April 17th, 2014, 09:25 AM
Anyone change the cam chain on their bikes yet? Mine needs it since my mnanual cam chain tensioner is almost all the way in.

I was wondering if i could remove the chain by using a chain breaker, and then using a small master link to fit it together?

alex.s
April 17th, 2014, 09:35 AM
i wouldn't trust it. there's a video on youtube of a guy welding it back together also. again i wouldn't trust it. it's not terribly hard to replace. pull the engine, split the bottom half case off, slide the new chain in. put it back together

rojoracing53
April 17th, 2014, 09:35 AM
Sorry I have no input to your question but was curious about how many miles on your bike?

scorch
April 17th, 2014, 09:37 AM
i wouldn't trust it. there's a video on youtube of a guy welding it back together also. again i wouldn't trust it. it's not terribly hard to replace. pull the engine, split the bottom half case off, slide the new chain in. put it back together

Why wouldnt you trust it?

Pulling the engine sure sounds like an awful lot of trouble. I was thinking i can replace it with a cam chain and use a master link or even rivet it without having to pull the engine and split the bottom half.

The bike in question has 81k miles

alex.s
April 17th, 2014, 10:14 AM
81k miles!

rojoracing53
April 17th, 2014, 10:15 AM
Holy **** that's a lot of miles. I'm at 40k miles which is still more then most new-gens and was worried I may have overlooked mine chains wear level. Anything else failing on the bike motor wise so far? I plan to continue logging in 20k a year for many years to come and was thinking of picking up a cheap spare motor so when mine dies, that way I can rebuild it at my leisure and keep riding. I'm just not sure how long this little thing with last. If I can get at least 80k before a complete rebuild and I'd be pretty happy.

csmith12
April 17th, 2014, 10:20 AM
mah f'in :werd: 81k

scorch
April 17th, 2014, 10:58 AM
so im told that the chain cannot be broken by racerx. Since he is an expert i might have to do this the old way.. now the question is, how do i even replace the cam chain? Do i have to remove the engine completly?

alex.s
April 17th, 2014, 11:11 AM
removing the engine isn't hard. up on the rear stand, bodywork off, take the chain off, gas tank off, undo the two carb clamps, remove the 3 wire connectors and undo the ground bolt, take off the clutch cable and drain the fluids and undo the radiator hoses. take out the plug wires and put a jack under the engine. undo the front 4 bolts first, then the back top bolt, let the engine rotate down then take out the last bolt and move the engine to the work bench.

splitting it isn't terrible, there's about 20 or so case bolts. some are hard to find. the one inside the oil filter hole took me awhile to find. remember there are bolts going in on both top and bottom and all around the sides. remove the two side panels first. you'll want a clutch hub tool and an impact wrench to remove the clutch hub so you can get behind it to remove the oil line running between the two case halves. at 81k i would completely disassemble and inspect everything since you're already there. just don't mix anything up. and take lots of photos to post here.

scorch
April 17th, 2014, 11:36 AM
lol, thanks ALex. I am going to look into buying a new engine instead. way too much work and time.

rojoracing53
April 17th, 2014, 11:57 AM
lol, thanks ALex. I am going to look into buying a new engine instead. way too much work and time.

:lol: this guy gets me:thumbup:

alex.s
April 17th, 2014, 12:01 PM
i'll give you $100 for your old engine

mgentz
April 21st, 2014, 06:17 PM

4 hours in tear down time. Stock rebuild would be 6 hours back to running.

no too much time!

scorch
April 22nd, 2014, 05:42 AM
4 hours in tear down time. Stock rebuild would be 6 hours back to running.

no too much time!

thats assumning i know what i am doing :). but 6 hours isnt much. but do you guys recommend me changing the cam chain or buying a new engine?

Racer x
April 22nd, 2014, 06:13 AM
How many miles on the engine? Is it the original bottom end. I know I replaced the top.

mgentz
April 22nd, 2014, 06:16 AM
Also, I have a cam chain with 10 hours of run time on it that I will sell for cheap. the stock ones are expensive....but I always go overkill....

scorch
April 28th, 2014, 06:48 AM
Also, I have a cam chain with 10 hours of run time on it that I will sell for cheap. the stock ones are expensive....but I always go overkill....

how much for it?

mgentz
April 28th, 2014, 08:46 AM
new is $65. I would sell for $25 shipped.