View Full Version : New to the Ninjas

Z1R rider
April 18th, 2014, 07:48 PM
Hello all, I'm in So. Dak. and have been riding since 73 and have ridden a 78
Z1R since 1980. I've been doing track days with my boys for a few years and decided to retire the Z1R from track duty before I wreck it. The guys on the 250s looked like they were having a blast so I thought I'd join the fun. Got an 02 greenie last fall and just bought a red 00 fixer and a 99 parts bike. Two of the boys followed my lead and snagged a pregen each and the third will probably ride my second 250. Can't wait to get to the track!

EternalNewb
April 18th, 2014, 07:52 PM
Nice! Glad to have you with us, and welcome aboard.

misfitsailor
April 18th, 2014, 08:20 PM
Welcome to the forum!

greenaero
April 19th, 2014, 10:27 AM
Welcome Roger!

Motofool
April 19th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Welcome to Ninjette.org, Roger !!!

Snake
April 21st, 2014, 12:27 AM
Hello and welcome.

csmith12
April 21st, 2014, 07:33 AM
Welcome!

Where do you normally track in SD or do you have to travel a long distance?

Z1R rider
April 21st, 2014, 11:53 AM
We usually go to Mid America Motorplex (MAM) at Pacific Junction, IA just south of Omaha (220 miles), but have gone to BIR at Brainerd, Mn. (350 miles) Have plans to hit Motorsport Park Hastings (MPH) at Hastings Ne. (250 miles) later this summer. As far as I know these are the closest for us. One of the boys lives in the Twin Cities so BIR is closest for him.

KJohnson21
April 21st, 2014, 11:08 PM
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=62&pictureid=1195

CC Cowboy
April 22nd, 2014, 07:25 AM
Pictures of the Z1R would be nice. Is it for sale?

Z1R rider
April 22nd, 2014, 07:44 PM
Pictures of the Z1R would be nice. Is it for sale?

These are from 5 to 10 years old, since these were taken I've put ZX6 calipers on the front (huge improvement!) and ZRX shocks on the back. I'll take some updated pics and post them this weekend, time permitting. Used to dragrace it too, 11.6 at 115 on a good day. No plans to sell it at this time, maybe the kids will have an estate sale someday. :D

cuong-nutz
April 22nd, 2014, 08:55 PM
These are from 5 to 10 years old, since these were taken I've put ZX6 calipers on the front (huge improvement!) and ZRX shocks on the back. I'll take some updated pics and post them this weekend, time permitting. Used to dragrace it too, 11.6 at 115 on a good day. No plans to sell it at this time, maybe the kids will have an estate sale someday. :D

Lol great looking bike you got there!

alex.s
April 22nd, 2014, 09:09 PM
:eek: that's probably my favorite bike.

cbinker
April 22nd, 2014, 09:13 PM
Hi, what part of south dakota are you from?

cbinker
April 22nd, 2014, 09:14 PM
We usually go to Mid America Motorplex (MAM) at Pacific Junction, IA just south of Omaha (220 miles), but have gone to BIR at Brainerd, Mn. (350 miles) Have plans to hit Motorsport Park Hastings (MPH) at Hastings Ne. (250 miles) later this summer. As far as I know these are the closest for us. One of the boys lives in the Twin Cities so BIR is closest for him.

I am planning on going to MPH in June, we could meet up there.

Z1R rider
April 23rd, 2014, 04:48 AM
Hi, what part of south dakota are you from?

I am planning on going to MPH in June, we could meet up there.

I'm in Mitchell, plans right now are to get to MAM in June and MPH in August. You never know, plans may change and we'll meet up at one of the tracks.

Z1R rider
April 23rd, 2014, 05:00 AM
:eek: that's probably my favorite bike.

Back in the day I didn't really care for the "mag" wheels, I was looking for a standard KZ but found this one and the price was right. It was a totaled bike with only 52 miles on it, most of the damage was cosmetic. It's got around 75,000 miles on it now, used it for about everything, toured on it, drag raced, track days, a lot of commuting, my brother even took it hill climbing, it does it all....just doesn't do anything real well! :p

Z1R rider
April 23rd, 2014, 05:06 AM
Lol great looking bike you got there!

CC Cowboy
April 23rd, 2014, 08:16 AM
Nice bike, is that your grandfather riding it?

250rr
April 23rd, 2014, 01:13 PM
Welcome, my friend.

Z1R rider
April 23rd, 2014, 02:48 PM
Nice bike, is that your grandfather riding it?

:eek: I is the grandfather riding it!! :cool:

CC Cowboy
April 23rd, 2014, 05:38 PM
:eek: I is the grandfather riding it!! :cool:

Speak up, I can't hear you.

I almost bought one of them there bikes brand new in 1978. I ended up getting a Harley XLCR 1000 Cafe Racer. The Harley sucked as a racer, sucked for comfort, sucked at braking, but it looked cool and turned out to be worth a bunch of money.

crazymadbastard
April 28th, 2014, 06:19 AM
Welcome!

WarriorGene
April 30th, 2014, 05:20 PM
Do you do BIR with ZARS? I've registered for 6/30 and 9/1. Last year, my first track day was at BIR and I did a second at Heartland Park-Topeka (HPT). I'd like to try MAM and MPH sometime.

Z1R rider
April 30th, 2014, 07:10 PM
The boys have been to BIR with Zars, but I never have, it's probably been 6 or 7 years since I've been to Brainerd. I haven't rode on the new "infield" track, last time I was there we still had the loooooong straight coming out of turn 10, has to be most of a mile long, then the fast turn 1. I don't remember the name of the outfit that was doing the track days at that time.:confused: I really like MAM, (and Trackaddix) more technical (and rough, as in patches) and not as fast as BIR. What outfit did the Heartland Park? We've talked about going to that track too.

WarriorGene
April 30th, 2014, 08:08 PM
I did the 2.5 mile Competition Course, it sounds like you were on the 3.1 mile Donnybrooke Course. Too much speed for my blood. I haven't been on MAM since they first opened, well before I started riding again. HPT is run by St. John's Racing. I registered through HPT's website. Their 3rd track day of the year will be 5/11, 10 scheduled for the year. HPT is a smooth, clean, and very fast track. The scariest part for me was the hill on the monster straight just before turn 1. BIR and HPT balanced out well for me. I wore down the right side of my tire at BIR and wore the left at HPT. I also signed up for Road America with ZARS. I need to work on the technical stuff. . . MAM will be perfect for that.

Z1R rider
July 4th, 2014, 09:24 AM
since these were taken I've put ZX6 calipers on the front (huge improvement!) and ZRX shocks on the back. I'll take some updated pics and post them this weekend, time permitting.

As promised, just not when promised. Had to clean the storage shed so took some new pics while it was out.

CZroe
July 4th, 2014, 11:44 AM
A whole family of Ninja riders. Neat.

Kawasaki is far and away my family's choice too. ;) I don't think there's a single non-Kawi in the fam, though the SIL is tatted up with H-D logos (boo!).

I have a bunch of 250s and plan to add a 300, my older brother rides a KLR650 (I think he had a Kawi back in the late-'80s too), my nephew is buying a 300, and I'm going to force my twin brother to take one of these 250s when I finish it so I can justify the 300 (he's uninterested in motorcycles and I plan to change that). :thumbup: