View Full Version : De-Winterizing.. Oil Change

April 19th, 2014, 12:07 PM
Quick question: If I'm de-winterizing, I understand the oil should be changed. How soon should I change the oil? The wiki page says to change it after you've ridden it for a few minutes, which means I need to run it for a bit first.

Could I ride it like half an hour to the hardware store to buy the torque wrench I need in order to change the oil? Can I ride it a bit today and then change the oil tomorrow? I just don't want to ruin anything.

FYI I rode it until mid-December, ran fuel stabilizer into the gas lines, kept it garaged (semi-heated but not really) and now I'm itching to start going.

Flying
April 19th, 2014, 01:40 PM
The point of changing it while it is warm is to make sure as much of the old oil runs out as possible.

Yes to changing it right after coming back from the store. No to waiting till tomorrow without running it again.

Bob2010
April 19th, 2014, 04:18 PM
This is my thought IF it's been sitting for a couple months or longer.
I always change it cold. That way everything comes right out, and you're not re-mixing it all around the motor/clutches. Figure it dripped-dried from the motor and it's all collected at the bottom just waiting to come out anyways.

Normal use oil changes I change hot because it flows out easier.
My 2 cents. I do this with car as well, that in bring out each spring

jkv45
April 21st, 2014, 10:47 AM
Best idea is to change it before storing - not after.

The reason being is you want clean oil with no moisture, acids, or unburned fuel protecting the internals of the engine from corrosion when it's being stored. Your best choice is a good synthetic oil and a new filter before storing. There's no need to change it again after storing.

Never start an engine during storage to "warm it up" - you are just contaminating the fresh oil and creating moisture that wasn't there before.