View Full Version : changing tires

oompa
April 19th, 2014, 01:16 PM
Should I try to change the tires myself or just take it in and pay some guy to do it? if i do it myself, how do i do it? I was reading and saw that i need to get crow bars and wheel mounting fluid, but im still uncertain as to how to get it on and balance it.

alex.s
April 19th, 2014, 01:26 PM
take your wheels off and take the wheels and new tires to cycle gear. they will change and balance them for free for you while you browse their gear.

dcj13
April 19th, 2014, 01:40 PM
take your wheels off and take the wheels and new tires to cycle gear. they will change and balance them for free for you while you browse their gear.

Heed Alex's advice if you need tires soon, don't have the tools, have never removed/replaced your own tires, and you don't want to scratch the crap out of your rims. Otherwise, a too-long read on advice and things to buy if/when you want to do it yourself:

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?p=825464&postcount=28

Motofool
April 19th, 2014, 02:16 PM
...........I was reading and saw that i need to get crow bars and wheel mounting fluid, but im still uncertain as to how to get it on and balance it.

You should consider also a flat clean surface to work plus some space to deploy the tools and the wheel horizontally.

kennetht
April 19th, 2014, 08:02 PM
tires are the most important thing on your bike. i wouldnt mess around with doing it yourself if you arent comfortable.

i just got new tires myself and am taking them and the bike right to the shop for them to do it. no way am i going to risk doing something that I have no idea how to do correctly.

just pay the cash.

kennetht
April 19th, 2014, 08:07 PM

if i bring the bike to them will they do it for free? i didnt even know i had a cycle gear near me till i just googled it.

they are only like 10 mins from me.

Aggrotech
April 19th, 2014, 08:25 PM
cyclegear does it for free..? the one near me charges 20bucks per tire after taking both off.

alex.s
April 20th, 2014, 12:27 AM
cycle gear isn't a shop so they wont take your wheels off for you.

and they are not supposed to charge you anything. it is a free service from cyclegear. unless they recently changed it's been that way for years.

Foxrider64
April 21st, 2014, 02:02 PM
cycle gear isn't a shop so they wont take your wheels off for you.

and they are not supposed to charge you anything. it is a free service from cyclegear. unless they recently changed it's been that way for years.

That might be a hook up you have-

They are supposed to charge you for removal of old tires and mounting of new tires- purchased there or not.

The balancing is free though. I used to mount my own tires and then take to them for high speed balancing for free- until they gouged a practically brand new wheel using a screw driver to remove the old stick on weights. I then bought my own, old school bearing balancer.