View Full Version : Sprocket sits in Cush drive, but there's wiggle room.

Floki
April 21st, 2014, 11:45 AM
I removed my rear wheel to check my bearings because my wheel didn't feel smooth and clicked while rotating on a stand. I've re assembled the wheel and when you rotate it, there is wiggle room in the Cush drive so the sprocket moves after the wheel is rotated a bit. I can't remember if this is normal or not. Is it?

Alex
April 21st, 2014, 11:52 AM
Normal. It moves around a bit forward and back. Some people shim the cush drive by placing thin plastic or other material in the gaps so it doesn't move as much. Others just don't worry about it. :)

kirk595x
April 21st, 2014, 11:59 AM
Common problem. My bike had the same issue @ 3k miles.

What you can do is get a plastic milk jugg or similar plastic and cut small pieces to shim between the Cush and where it makes contact with the Hub.

I packed mine a bit tight but it's preference.
You will feel a noticable difference when you take off from a start.

Floki
April 21st, 2014, 12:04 PM
Alright thanks guys, I was trying to figure out my clicking issue and it seems to be the chain. I can't figure out why it's clicking though.

Alex
April 21st, 2014, 12:59 PM
How old is the chain? How many miles?

Floki
April 21st, 2014, 07:10 PM
How old is the chain? How many miles?

6 moths old with 8,500 miles

Alex
April 21st, 2014, 07:50 PM
Did you change the sprockets out when you replaced the chain?

Floki
April 21st, 2014, 09:26 PM
Did you change the sprockets out when you replaced the chain?

Yes

cuong-nutz
April 21st, 2014, 09:51 PM
I thought about making poly-u Cush drives but people have mention that it's too stiff and doesn't have enough give to prevent damage to the countershaft bearings and chain when slamming gears. The looseness is normal and feathering the clutch will alleviate the slight pause before the sprocket hub engages the Cush drive.

cbinker
April 21st, 2014, 10:24 PM
normal.

mgentz
April 22nd, 2014, 04:40 AM
Normal. Buy new cushions or shim if bothered.