View Full Version : Which foot do you put down when you're coming to a stop?

Mr.E
August 23rd, 2011, 10:27 PM
Was watching BlinkyCab, got me interested, what are you?

OqXCKuSMMIM

Snake
August 23rd, 2011, 10:35 PM
When it comes to the bike I guess I'm a lefty for the reasons he mentioned to keep my left foot on the rear brake.

CC Cowboy
August 24th, 2011, 08:52 AM
I put both feet down. I also ride on the right side of the road.

LazinCajun
August 24th, 2011, 10:23 AM
I put my left foot down as I'm stopping, with right foot on the rear brake. If it's flat, once a couple cars stop behind me, a lot of times I'll switch into neutral and leave my left foot on the peg for a quick shift into first. MSF would fuss at me, and truthfully it's probably a bad habit. Having said that, a lot of my riding is unfortunately around the city with lots of red lights, and getting a hand cramp is no fun.

alex.s
August 24th, 2011, 11:29 AM
i've encountered a third type of rider... they don't ever put their feet down. they also seem to have an extra wheel in the front or back...

ninja_sleeper
August 24th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Im a both-y. I alternate, I guess it just depends on if im hungry or not.

GreenNinja
August 24th, 2011, 01:06 PM
i've encountered a third type of rider... they don't ever put their feet down. they also seem to have an extra wheel in the front or back...

:lolsign:

DarC
August 24th, 2011, 03:03 PM
I slow to pretty much a stop and kind of smoothly/ slowly put both down. If I want to sit up I pop it in neutral as I am rolling to a stop. This bike is so light I can usually manage to keep it from rolling down all but the steeper inclines.

dp64
August 24th, 2011, 06:30 PM
I suppose that I'm ambidextrous. Left foot, right foot, or both depends on the riding/stopping situation that I am in.

akima
August 29th, 2011, 05:55 AM
I put both feet down. I also ride on the right side of the road.

He is riding on the right side of the road ;)

azimmer11
August 29th, 2011, 06:34 AM
im both. i can write with both hands (mainly my left), eat with my left, play most sports with my right...

rockNroll
August 29th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Imna have to check next time I stop

kyrider
August 29th, 2011, 11:04 AM
I throw with my right hand but catch with my left.

cadd
April 22nd, 2014, 11:46 AM
There's no right or wrong answer. Just a matter of preference. Just curious...is it always the same foot regardless of the situation?

I usually put my left foot down (not always). I like to flash the brake light with my right foot when there's a car coming to a stop behind me. I want to make sure he sees me.

I can easily trackstand on my track bike, road bike and mountain bike. I'm working on that on the 250 :)

Desmoluci
April 22nd, 2014, 11:51 AM
Usually the left, I keep my foot near the rear brake for better low-speed stability coming to a stop.

rasta
April 22nd, 2014, 11:52 AM
All of the above, depending on situation and how lazy I feel

Alex
April 22nd, 2014, 11:53 AM
/moved to riding skills

CC Cowboy
April 22nd, 2014, 11:53 AM
Did I win?

GHill762
April 22nd, 2014, 11:58 AM
usually left, occasionally both.. I try to stay on the pegs as long as I can.. like a little challenge every time you come to a stop..

rojoracing53
April 22nd, 2014, 12:38 PM
I honestly have no idea:confused: Ill have to get back to you but I'd assume I always put down the correct one first.

adouglas
April 22nd, 2014, 12:41 PM
The middle one.

There's no option for that, so I didn't vote.

oblivion007
April 22nd, 2014, 12:43 PM
Usually left so I can use the rear for soft stopping.

LittleRedNinjette
April 22nd, 2014, 12:44 PM
The middle one.

:rotflmao:

Left in most cases but if i know its a long light or something i'll switch it up so i can put the bike in neutral.

csmith12
April 22nd, 2014, 12:44 PM
Usually left so I can use the rear for soft stopping.

^^^^ msf 101 right there

crazymadbastard
April 22nd, 2014, 12:45 PM
The middle one.

Tripod?

akima
April 22nd, 2014, 12:51 PM
I usually put my left foot down (not always). I like to flash the brake light with my right foot when there's a car coming to a stop behind me. I want to make sure he sees me.

Oooh! Good tip. Didn't think of that. Thanks.

misfitsailor
April 22nd, 2014, 12:58 PM
Always left, both if a long light. You can flash brake lights with your right hand just as easily.

alex.s
April 22nd, 2014, 01:07 PM
because i switch to rear brake at around 5mph, i'm always already using my right foot when i stop at a light

rasta
April 22nd, 2014, 01:13 PM

I do the same thing, but I like to do with the front brake lever. I hit it like I'm rapid-firing a paintball gun

Alex
April 22nd, 2014, 01:16 PM
I sometimes do that as well, but afterward I remember I had CThunder-blue install a rear brake flasher for me so I didn't have to do it manually...

cadd
April 22nd, 2014, 01:49 PM
Oooh! Good tip. Didn't think of that. Thanks.
Am I sensing a bit of sarcasm? Lol.

@misfitsalior - yes, sometimes I do use the front brake to flash. However, I like to lean back a little with only left hand holding the clutch lever. If I'm at a long light, I shift up to N and sit back to relax and only shift back down to 1st when I see a vehicle approaching on my 6.

It's weird, I racked up over 4000 miles on my bicycles when I lived in NYC (commuted) and I almost always unclip and put my right foot down.

The only time I really put my right foot down on a motorbike is when I'm stopped at a light or at any strip mall exit and have to make a sharp right turn immediately from a stop. This way, I can lean the bike a bit even before I have to accelerate out to make that sharp 90 degree turn. Makes the turn so much easier and so much tighter (at least for me).

Motofool
April 22nd, 2014, 01:50 PM
Consistently right foot down.
I rarely use the rear brake, never for stopping.

akima
April 22nd, 2014, 02:23 PM
cadd - Having re-read my comment it does sound sarcastic! It's not meant that way though. I'm genuinely pleased you mentioned that! If I'm the first to stop behind the line at some lights, I generally watch my mirrors to see if someone's coming in hot behind me. I'll probably tap the brake while watching my mirrors now.

akima
April 22nd, 2014, 02:25 PM
Consistently right foot down.
I rarely use the rear brake, never for stopping.

Is that so you can knock it into gear quickly if you want to pull away from danger? ... Or maybe right footing is just motofool style! :cool:

ally99
April 22nd, 2014, 02:35 PM
Left always. On windy days, both sometimes.

NevadaWolf
April 22nd, 2014, 02:46 PM
Depends on which side of the lane I am in. If solo and riding on the left side of the lane, I will ride in the tire tracks of the car in front of me and put my left foot down on the raised portion of the lane. If behind another bike in the left side, I'll put my right foot down on the raised side. I'll will rarely put my foot down in the center of the lane to avoid the grease and oil that has built up there.

I always keep it in first and use my hand to flash the brake for any approaching vehicle.

250rr
April 22nd, 2014, 02:54 PM
usually left, occasionally both.. I try to stay on the pegs as long as I can.. like a little challenge every time you come to a stop..

+1

Motofool
April 22nd, 2014, 03:00 PM
Is that so you can knock it into gear quickly if you want to pull away from danger? ... Or maybe right footing is just motofool style! :cool:

Yes, I like having potential control over the gears, either if I keep first during any light stop or if I decide disconnecting the transmission (neutral).

It always seemed illogical to me to have redundant control for brakes and nothing for transmission.

For the riders from which I learned, putting two feet down or duck walking was the most obvious sign of a marginal rider.

We do have an old thread about this subject:
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?p=617313

Motofool's style is putting the right foot down slowly only after the bike has stopped completely and quickly up before the bike starts moving forward.

I use counter-steering and front brake to make the bike consistently fall onto the right side.

It is not better or worse than other ways, but it has always worked well for me and I like it. :)

Dredgshadow
April 22nd, 2014, 03:02 PM
Usually left for the same reasons as stated above. The only time I would be right footed only is if there was a strange angle to the road or something like that. I like to be in gear at the light. Sometimes if it is a really long light and there is already a huge line of cars behind me (not gonna get rear ended) I'll pop it in neutral and put both down to chill a little.

cadd
April 22nd, 2014, 04:16 PM
Off topic: The only time I get a tad nervous is when I know the light is going to turn green within 5 seconds and a car is approaching from the rear 200ft away. I know it'll turn green before he will be fully stopped. In that scenario, I keep my right foot on the brake to signify that I am still at a full stop.

Once the light turns green, I accelerate like I'm drag racing. But even before it turns green, I'm constantly scanning cross traffic to make sure there are no red light runners and also making sure there are no cars making a left turn in the opposite direction (left hook) that may jump the light once it turns green (this is in additional to keeping an eye on the mirror to make sure I won't get rear ended).

I just hate the vulnerable feeling from a car stopping short behind me.

I also point my wheels towards the middle of the two lanes (ready to filter if I feel he/she won't stop in time).

But if you're first in line, right in front of a red light, what recourse do you really have as an escape route if someone comes in too hot from the rear? You obviously shouldn't accelerate through the intersection running the light and get t-boned. What do you guys do? What is your escape route in that situation?

Skullz
April 22nd, 2014, 07:53 PM
I always put the right one down for pretty much what moto has said, and i also like to let my hand take a break from the clutch lever when possible.

Yakaru
April 22nd, 2014, 07:55 PM
Depends on the stop reason and time. If I have some reason to stand on the rear brake (e.g. stop on an incline) then I put the left down, if I'm 'covered' and in neutral I put the right down so I can shift into first more quickly. If I'm stopped for more than 5 or so seconds both feet go down usually (and if on an incline I use the front brake)

Motofool
April 22nd, 2014, 08:08 PM
........What is your escape route in that situation?

Point the bike in the direction of the closest-to-you crossing traffic (~45 degrees to the right or left (one-way right to left crossing traffic), so you can bank and try merging into that traffic.

That is a difficult but useful exercise: starting turning sharp from a total stop.
This is difficult because the centrifugal effect of the acceleration tends to throw you off out of the turn (in essence, that is equivalent to counter-steering) while you need leaning toward the center of the turn.

Flashing the brake light always help catch the attention of the approaching rider; however, red-runners crossing the intersection that you cannot see (big truck blocking your view) are your major actual danger.

cbinker
April 22nd, 2014, 09:19 PM
Right foot on the brake.

cadd
April 22nd, 2014, 10:04 PM
That is a difficult but useful exercise: starting turning sharp from a total stop.
This is difficult because the centrifugal effect of the acceleration tends to throw you off out of the turn (in essence, that is equivalent to counter-steering) while you need leaning toward the center of the turn.

The only time I really put my right foot down on a motorbike is when I'm stopped at a light or at any strip mall exit and have to make a sharp right turn immediately from a stop. This way, I can lean the bike a bit even before I have to accelerate out to make that sharp 90 degree turn. Makes the turn so much easier and so much tighter (at least for me).

This is EXACTLY what I was trying to say!!! You just explained it so much better :dancecool: If I need to make a right turn from a complete stop (out of a shopping center parking lot) it really helps when I'm already leaning the bike to the right (with my right foot on the ground) and with the handlebars turned to the right. This way when I accelerate, the bike will naturally want to stand upright. But since I'm "one step ahead of the bike" by leaning it over before I accelerate, it stabilizes itself and I just pull hard into the tight right turn without going wide. Hope that makes sense.

akima
April 22nd, 2014, 11:54 PM
^ makes perfect sense.

I remember seeing this video some time ago and getting some good visual tips from it:
1gzAgCSfnQM

LittleRedNinjette
April 23rd, 2014, 02:41 AM
I'm going to try that! That's one thing I'm kinda BAD at. An over wide turned out into a lane from a parking lot or side street. :o

Racer x
April 23rd, 2014, 04:00 AM
Left . Right is on the break and I have already shifted to first.

GearMonkey
April 23rd, 2014, 07:20 AM
I do the same thing, but I like to do with the front brake lever. I hit it like I'm rapid-firing a paintball gun

Samesies.

Left first, then both down once I'm stopped, then right while I put it in neutral to pick my nose and adjust stuff, both then lean to one side or the other while contemplating why the red light is so long, then the quick shuffle into first and feet up. I'm sure it's quite a show for those around Me.

Ninja Bob
April 23rd, 2014, 07:30 AM

Your brake light doesn't work with both brakes?

csmith12
April 23rd, 2014, 07:39 AM
Your brake light doesn't work with both brakes?

I would be it does, but I sometimes use my foot to flash the brake lights when my hand needs a rest. I feel where he is coming from.

akima
April 23rd, 2014, 11:42 AM
Who are the 2 trackstanders then?! Fess up!

cadd
April 23rd, 2014, 12:07 PM
Who are the 2 trackstanders then?! Fess up!
U guys that trackstand, do u do it seated or standing on pegs?

On my mountain and road bikes, I can only do it standing (if it has to be longer than 30 seconds) . However, for my track bike (fixed gear transmission) I can do it seated and stay in that position for a few minutes.

The secret is to turn the front wheel up towards the crown of the road (usually left for us in the US).

I'll try it soon with the ninjette since the fairings are currently off :)

Rogue
April 23rd, 2014, 12:17 PM
I'm a munchkin, so if it's a short stop, I'll track stand. If it's a prolonged stop, most of the time it's a butt scoot to the left (right on the brake), and left foot down. The exception being when the surface is dipped on the left, then I'll scoot to the right.

LittleRedNinjette
April 23rd, 2014, 12:32 PM
Hmm, must practice this trackstand stuff.....

Rogue
April 23rd, 2014, 12:39 PM
Hmm, must practice this trackstand stuff.....

The 300 is so well balanced, it doesn't take a whole lot of effort. I practiced it on the patio until I got the hang of it. It makes brief stops so much easier for us shorties.

cadd
April 23rd, 2014, 02:13 PM
My goal is to trackstand for a full minute. But I'll prob have to do it standing on the pegs....defeats the purpose. More work =(

akima
April 23rd, 2014, 03:02 PM
To be read in the voice of Morgan Freeman...

http://a4.files.saymedia-content.com/image/upload/c_fill,g_face,h_300,q_70,w_300/MTE1ODA0OTcxNjMzNjQwOTcz.jpg

At the time, they didn't realize it, but it was on this day that it began. It was the seed that spawned their demise.

It seemed like an innocent discussion... a trackstand. So cute... so trivial... but it was enough. Before long the entire population of ninjette.org transitioned from a group of safety conscious ATGATT obsessives to a gang of squidy stuntaz.

Their once benevolent leader -- Alex -- held out for a while, but his resolve was not enough. Almost without realizing he found himself riding wearing little more than flipflops and a back protector. A camera in one hand (pointed at himself) and a smart phone in the other (posting on ninjette.org)... all the while, sat on the buckled tank of his ninjette facing his posse behind him.

NevadaWolf
April 23rd, 2014, 03:10 PM
...backs away slowly from the squirrel....

akima
April 23rd, 2014, 03:11 PM
:D

Motofool
April 23rd, 2014, 05:05 PM
I'm going to try that! That's one thing I'm kinda BAD at. An over wide turned out into a lane from a parking lot or side street. :o

http://www.msgroup.org/Tip.aspx?Num=194&Set=

LittleRedNinjette
April 24th, 2014, 07:21 AM
Thanks Motofool!

I think i lost some confidence with being off the bike for so long. Some parking lot practise is probably a very good idea. :thumbup:

CycleCam303
April 24th, 2014, 09:07 AM
I always use one foot or toe now. Generally if its flat ground I use my right foot down. Up hills or down hills I put my left down so I can be on the brake. The 848 is a bit taller so I have to pick a side before I stop. I actually can't get both feet down and touching at all.

Motofool
April 26th, 2014, 04:01 PM
Thanks Motofool!

I think i lost some confidence with being off the bike for so long. Some parking lot practise is probably a very good idea. :thumbup:

You are welcome, Teri :)

Note how the bike follows the sight of the rider and how smooth minute inputs control the changes in speed and direction (skip the first 30 seconds of the video):

EAJEcmWnZgs

evidens83
April 26th, 2014, 08:05 PM
Right foot down always for me. I like to use both brakes when coming to a stop(MSF class) and hold on to the front brake whenever I'm at the red light. That way I can shift to neutral pending traffic wait time or I can stay in 1st if I need to quickly move.

RogerPapaMike
April 28th, 2014, 05:40 PM
quick question, if you're one of the people putting your right foot down are you goofy footed on a snowboard/skateboard? if you put the left down are you regular?

cadd
April 28th, 2014, 09:07 PM
I'm regular (snowboarding) and put left foot down on motorbike 95% of the time. Yet on a bicycle (road and mountain), I put right foot down 95% of the time. But but but but on my track bike (fixed gear), I put my left foot down. :noidea:

Another question would be, if you ride both motorbikes and a bicycles, are your front brakes both controlled with the right lever? Or do you have the left lever as your front brake on a bicycle (universally accepted in the States).

Kscreations08
April 28th, 2014, 09:43 PM
^^^ amateur flatland bmx. We always tore the brakes off. If you need to stop, stuff your shoe in the tire. I wouldn't suggest trying that on the ninja though.

Also... Started trying that Captain Crash lean over to turn right

I remember seeing this video some time ago and getting some good visual tips from it:
1gzAgCSfnQM

Practice makes perfect. Do it wrong and its like being on a bucking bronco. Almost had a 2 mile an hour high side in a parking lot yesterday lol

Both feet, almost all the time. Is it cuz I'm da noob?

akima
April 29th, 2014, 12:45 AM
Practice makes perfect. Do it wrong and its like being on a bucking bronco. Almost had a 2 mile an hour high side in a parking lot yesterday lol

How the hell did you do that?! The only way I can imagine that happening is if you engaged the clutch a very low revs causing the engine to sputter and almost stall. Because you'd be leaned over when this happened, to save it, you would have to very quickly disengage clutch bring revs up high, re-engage clutch and surge forward (while at an angle) throwing the bike around a bit. That what happened? I had something similar happen once.:o

Kscreations08
April 29th, 2014, 01:26 AM
How the hell did you do that?! The only way I can imagine that happening is if you engaged the clutch a very low revs causing the engine to sputter and almost stall. Because you'd be leaned over when this happened, to save it, you would have to very quickly disengage clutch bring revs up high, re-engage clutch and surge forward (while at an angle) throwing the bike around a bit. That what happened? I had something similar happen once.:o

Thats just about right. Play by play. Keep in mind that when you pull that clutch in, the bike drops further in. Momentary "ohshitgottasaveit", little bit too much throttle and let that clutch lever out too fast and the bike SHOOTS vertical :doh: it came up so fast it threw my right foot off the peg. buuutttt... I didn't drop it and I didn't fall off :thumbup: Who on here keeps quoting the Bruce Lee "Be like water" thing? lol smooooth :p

akima
April 29th, 2014, 01:39 AM
Thats just about right. Play by play. Keep in mind that when you pull that clutch in, the bike drops further in. Momentary "ohshitgottasaveit", little bit too much throttle and let that clutch lever out too fast and the bike SHOOTS vertical :doh: it came up so fast it threw my right foot off the peg. buuutttt... I didn't drop it and I didn't fall off :thumbup: Who on here keeps quoting the Bruce Lee "Be like water" thing? lol smooooth :p

Awesome that you saved it! https://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/151/4/f/_w00t__revamp_of_sorts_by_stuck_in_suburbia-d3hr3js.gif Never give up!

I made a little txt file of quotes that I like that I heard in here. One was Bruce Lee:
Do not be tense, just be ready, not thinking but not dreaming, not being set but being flexible. It is being "wholly" and quietly alive, aware and alert, ready for whatever may come.
-Bruce Lee

Not sure who said it in here. Probably the same person as the "be like water" person.

dfox
April 29th, 2014, 05:12 AM
I'm a right footer, most of the time.

Like Motofool, I like to have control of the transmission, my right hand stays on the brake lever to control rolling and flashing the brake light. I come to a complete stop, drop the right foot down, and leave my left by the shifter, ready to shift to neutral. I'm ready roll on and take off if necessary until the cars behind me have stopped. Once the cars behind me have safely come to a stop, I switch to neutral and double-foot it, hands on or off the bars, depending on the slope of the road I'm stopped on. A lot of times, I like to bounce from left to right to keep myself occupied... adhd.

unless it's cold out, and then my hands always stay on the bars because of my heated grips.

ally99
April 29th, 2014, 08:49 AM
My right foot is on my rear brake by the time I've stopped. My goal is always to keep it up as long as possible with neither foot down...it's a fun game! But the left is always the first to touch since I love me some rear brake. :thumbup:

Motofool
April 29th, 2014, 04:32 PM

Kevin,

Next time, try using only throttle and rear brake, leaving the clutch and front brake alone.

Throttle opening can be kept more or less constant while you modulate the rear brake: more brake makes the bike fall into the turn, less brake stands the bike up and out of the turn.

Rolling on a straight line, you can move at almost 0 mph using the same technique.

P.S.- Note what foot Capt Crash puts down. :)

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showpost.php?p=848962&postcount=33

N-m
April 29th, 2014, 06:24 PM
From my horse experience I have learned to always vary this and practice on both sides, whether you like it or not.

Trailerboy531
April 29th, 2014, 06:29 PM
Isn't there a thread about this already?

"are you a lefty or a righty" or something?

Alex

Alex
April 29th, 2014, 08:12 PM
Yup. Merged it with this one.

CZroe
May 12th, 2014, 01:00 PM
MSF taught me to use the left so that I could keep my right foot on the rear brake as long as possible for emergency stops. In the real world, this has translated to me doing it most of the time unless I have reason to to one or the other.

cadd
May 12th, 2014, 01:41 PM
I noticed another rider yesterday. He was in front of me with a naked 650 (Gladius). When approaching the red light, he put his left foot down when stopped.

Since this is a long light, he shifted into neutral when he saw me fully stopped behind him. Then he put both feet down.

When the light turned green, he shifted into 1st and put his left foot back down while putting his right back on the peg. Mind you we are on a flat road. Then rolled forward.

So much shuffling! I wonder why he didn't just take off with his right foot on the ground when the light turned green.

akima
May 12th, 2014, 01:53 PM
^ I do pretty much that exact same shuffle! It doesn't feel tiresome to me.

Whiskey
May 12th, 2014, 05:12 PM
I noticed another rider yesterday. He was in front of me with a naked 650 (Gladius). When approaching the red light, he put his left foot down when stopped.

Since this is a long light, he shifted into neutral when he saw me fully stopped behind him. Then he put both feet down.

When the light turned green, he shifted into 1st and put his left foot back down while putting his right back on the peg. Mind you we are on a flat road. Then rolled forward.

So much shuffling! I wonder why he didn't just take off with his right foot on the ground when the light turned green.

It's similar to the one the Met police in London are (or were) trained in, but they never put both feet down.
Stop on rear brake, switch feet & flick into neutral, switch back & cover rear, as the light opposite goes yellow switch back, click into gear, switch & let the rear off as you roll on.

It was one that was taught in a lot of places for years, and was drilled into a lot of riders, me included.

Other forces went with different methods, West Midlands (Birmingham) used
Stop on the rear, right down, into neutral & cover the gear shift, use front brakes to keep brake light on, click into gear & right up as you roll on.

I've been trained in both, and generally do something in the middle,
Birmingham until I click it back into gear, then switch feet & cover the rear brake until I roll on.

The local cops seem to do the Birmingham one, so that's what's taught in the advanced rider training around here.

LittleRedNinjette
May 12th, 2014, 05:28 PM
^ I do pretty much that exact same shuffle! It doesn't feel tiresome to me.

Me to. Noticed myself doing this a lot lately. Its easier when you're short. :p

jschorr
May 12th, 2014, 05:45 PM
before this thread i never even though about what foot i was putting down or what others were doing, now i over think it. i switch it up a lot cause of the hills around here.

i tried putting down my left leg but i was giving every car around the stink eye and thinking someone was going to run over my leg any second. it just freaked me out.

i think i learned to snowboard goofy, that was a wile ago now so i just ride how i want to now. On a bike it is the same as a motorcycle, right down if i have to stop for a wile, though for most riding i just track stand and time the lights.

akima
May 12th, 2014, 11:08 PM
i tried putting down my left leg but i was giving every car around the stink eye and thinking someone was going to run over my leg any second. it just freaked me out.

He he. "Stink eye".

warlord
May 15th, 2014, 10:50 AM
Left foot down first, bike stays in gear and then I put both feet down with a quick departure path. You can take off faster with both feet down. I always look for dangers at this time I watch my mirrors to see the vehicle stop behind me. Only at long lights do I ever put my bike in neutral.

I ride my motorcycle like everyone in a car is trying to kill me, until they prove otherwise.

jgcable
May 20th, 2014, 11:13 AM
The reason you put your left foot down is actually quite simple.
When you are coming to a stop you are supposed to be downshifting with your left foot to get into 1st gear when you come to your stop while you are glancing into the mirror to se whats going on behind you. The reason for this is you always need to be ready to take off if a cager is barreling down on you from behind. Once you are stopped your left foot is down, the bike is in 1st gear ready to go and you have either your front brake or your rear brake engaged (if you are on any type of incline). This is basic MSF stuff that is taught to every new rider. You will also appreciate mastering this technique when you are on a large bike with a passenger on the back. Its much easier to stop using both brakes as opposed to just using the front.

jgcable
May 20th, 2014, 11:14 AM
Left foot down first, bike stays in gear and then I put both feet down with a quick departure path. You can take off faster with both feet down. I always look for dangers at this time I watch my mirrors to see the vehicle stop behind me. Only at long lights do I ever put my bike in neutral.

I ride my motorcycle like everyone in a car is trying to kill me, until they prove otherwise.

Well said. If you assume everybody in a car is out to run you off the road you should be fine and NEVER assume just because you see a blinker on that the cager is actually turning in that direction.

CZroe
May 20th, 2014, 01:54 PM
The reason you put your left foot down is actually quite simple.
When you are coming to a stop you are supposed to be downshifting with your left foot to get into 1st gear when you come to your stop while you are glancing into the mirror to se whats going on behind you. The reason for this is you always need to be ready to take off if a cager is barreling down on you from behind. Once you are stopped your left foot is down, the bike is in 1st gear ready to go and you have either your front brake or your rear brake engaged (if you are on any type of incline). This is basic MSF stuff that is taught to every new rider. You will also appreciate mastering this technique when you are on a large bike with a passenger on the back. Its much easier to stop using both brakes as opposed to just using the front.
The MSF gave slightly different reasoning to me. They want to ensure that you are using maximum emergency braking with BOTH brakes, which requires your right foot to be on the brake until the very end. If you are accustomed to taking your right foot off a little early in those situations where the front brake is perfectly capable of completing the stop on its own, then you may do it to stabilize the bike in an emergency stop out of habit. That's a bad habit to have.

Bones85
May 20th, 2014, 03:09 PM

I do the exact same thing if I have to wait more than a minute. It's so that you can use the rear brake. Say that you take off and the traffic in front of you stops or slows down for whatever reason. You want to be able to use the rear brake in that situation because you're going so slow and slamming on the front brake while you're only doing a few mph is not a good idea. You also may need to drag the rear brake in low speed situations so it's better to have your right foot already up.

jschorr
May 20th, 2014, 07:58 PM
isn't that simple, yes that is what the class says but it cuts down on your options in real life.

So you pull up at a light. To put your left foot down, you should be in the far right of the lane. That means you can go forward and left if something happens. (Assuming city riding)

Now say you are in the far left of your lane, this is where I stop usually, You can go left, right, or forward giving you one more option. It also mean that you can not get boxed in because your in the middle of the road. But on the same note since your in the middle of the road you put your right foot down so your not crowing the yellow line as much.

Someone mentioned passengers, personally if I was to dump my girl in the road I would prefer to dump her towards the edge not the middle, it has happened to me before because of a pot hole, she landed 3 feet to the right of where I did.

Someone also mentioned emergency brakeing. OK.....let's just say that if you have not trained yourself enough to know how to stop asap no matter what, then actually having your foot on the brake will by no means mean your going to use it.

I still think it is just preference with no right answer but like I said before, I tried putting my left down and it felt wrong. So I guess you should do what feels right.

Kscreations08
May 21st, 2014, 03:22 AM
Someone also mentioned emergency brakeing. OK.....let's just say that if you have not trained yourself enough to know how to stop asap no matter what, then actually having your foot on the brake will by no means mean your going to use it.

See, I have an issue with this idea. Not in your point, as I agree with you here, but in the general concept for emergency braking. I might be doing it wrong when I practice but when you load the front for "almost" maximum braking ability, the rear gets really light and skids at the drop of a hat. Does it really help you to stop that much faster?

BoBO
May 21st, 2014, 03:26 AM
on the flats I put my right foot down. Uphill I put the left foot down, while stepping on the rear brakes.

LittleRedNinjette
May 21st, 2014, 04:45 AM
isn't that simple, yes that is what the class says but it cuts down on your options in real life.

So you pull up at a light. To put your left foot down, you should be in the far right of the lane. That means you can go forward and left if something happens. (Assuming city riding)

Now say you are in the far left of your lane, this is where I stop usually, You can go left, right, or forward giving you one more option. It also mean that you can not get boxed in because your in the middle of the road. But on the same note since your in the middle of the road you put your right foot down so your not crowing the yellow line as much.

Someone mentioned passengers, personally if I was to dump my girl in the road I would prefer to dump her towards the edge not the middle, it has happened to me before because of a pot hole, she landed 3 feet to the right of where I did.

I still think it is just preference with no right answer but like I said before, I tried putting my left down and it felt wrong. So I guess you should do what feels right.

^^ This

The textbook answer is not always the correct one in a real world situation. We were also told this by the BRC instructors in my class.

Rider height is a factor to. When you can only get one foot or the other down flat, or just the balls of your feet down together you have to do what is/feels safest in each situation.

jgcable
May 21st, 2014, 07:02 AM
The MSF gave slightly different reasoning to me. They want to ensure that you are using maximum emergency braking with BOTH brakes, which requires your right foot to be on the brake until the very end. If you are accustomed to taking your right foot off a little early in those situations where the front brake is perfectly capable of completing the stop on its own, then you may do it to stabilize the bike in an emergency stop out of habit. That's a bad habit to have.

I was assuming you were also using your front brake. You should always use both brakes but your left foot should be down at a stop, with your bike in 1st gear clutch in and READY TO GO immediately.

Also... think about it.. what if you are stopped on an incline (or decline). You have to have your left foot down because you need your right foot to be on the brake. Lots of riders who haven't taken the MSF will roll to a stop in neutral or whatever gear they happen to be in with the clutch pulled in. That's BAD NEWS when there is a cager barreling down on you from behind.

LittleRedNinjette
May 21st, 2014, 08:01 AM
Also... think about it.. what if you are stopped on an incline (or decline). You have to have your left foot down because you need your right foot to be on the brake. Lots of riders who haven't taken the MSF will roll to a stop in neutral or whatever gear they happen to be in with the clutch pulled in. That's BAD NEWS when there is a cager barreling down on you from behind.

I will agree that you should always shift down to 1st before you come to a stop. That way you can't get stuck between gears. This was a newbie mistake i cured myself the first week i was riding.
And that on a incline its best the do left foot down, right foot on the brake to keep your right hand free for the throttle. But like i said before, each scenario is different. And we need to adapt accordingly to it. :thumbup:

jschorr
May 21st, 2014, 09:23 AM
That's odd. I like both feet down on a decline(once stopped), Esp the super steep ones. So easy to overbalance on a hill. I have one right behind my house that is close to 40° that drops into a major intersection. It has made me good at u turns because I don't like going down it.

Worldtraveller
May 22nd, 2014, 08:32 AM
I put my left foot down as I'm stopping, with right foot on the rear brake. If it's flat, once a couple cars stop behind me, a lot of times I'll switch into neutral and leave my left foot on the peg for a quick shift into first. MSF would fuss at me, and truthfully it's probably a bad habit. Having said that, a lot of my riding is unfortunately around the city with lots of red lights, and getting a hand cramp is no fun.
This. And the MSF guys I took a course from pretty much said the same. Once there's at least one (or better, two) cars stopped behind me, I feel it's safe enough to shift to neutral and relax a bit.

Bike in first gear, clutch in, smoothly applying both brakes as I come to a stop. Left foot down, covering the brake(s), or holding the foot brake if there's a hill.
Before the light switches, I will switch to hand brake only, put the bike in gear if needed, then launch from my right foot.