View Full Version : Chain Issues

romy1911
April 23rd, 2014, 06:32 AM
Hello friends,

I bought my Ninja 300 a couple of months ago and have been having issues with the chain right from day one. In the first couple of weeks of riding the chain used to make a horrible grinding noise which kinda quietened over time (maybe the chain settles down after a while?). I feel there is something wrong with the chain as it is very tight in certain spots and loose in others. I also feel that downshifting is a a bit rough (maybe because of the chain? or maybe i'm not shifting porperly!). I took a video of the chain on my bike and it would be great if somebody could have a look and tell me if this is normal or not. Thanks for the support guys!

qnSHQb5lDl4

Alex
April 23rd, 2014, 07:29 AM
How many miles on the chain & sprockets? How often do you clean and lube the chain? What products do you use? How often have you needed to adjust it?

romy1911
April 23rd, 2014, 09:05 AM
Hi Alex, Thanks for the reply!

Have around 2.5k kms on the odo and i've been lubing my chain regularly every 600-700 kms, cleaning and lubing it with Motul chain cleaner and lube
. Had the service center guys check for chain slackness and got it adjusted by them during my first service which was done at 550 kms. I'm not so good at adjusting the chain myself so I told the mechanics at the kawasaki service center do it for me. I took the video while I was at the service center, do you think the chain movement in the video is normal?

Alex
April 23rd, 2014, 09:23 AM
I don't think the chain movement looks abnormal; they always bounce around a little when there is no load on them. It does look a little tight to me, but that's also something that can be confirmed best when it's not moving. The grinding noise you describe doesn't sound normal at all, and I'm wondering if it actually was the chain or something else.

JohnnyBravo
April 23rd, 2014, 09:00 PM
Mine growled for a while when I didn't tighten it correctly, it stopped... It didn't fix itself, but it wore out whatever made it growl. I need a new chain anyway, an probly sprockets to.

JasonG134
April 24th, 2014, 12:37 AM
Did you buy the bike new or used?

romy1911
April 24th, 2014, 10:04 PM
its a new bike and i i have been facing this issue since day one.