View Full Version : 250 won't engage to 3rd

reroka
April 26th, 2014, 07:52 AM
After the local bike shop installed a 15 tooth sproket. Any one have ideas?

cuong-nutz
April 26th, 2014, 10:14 AM
Any changes in your foot shifter position? Not shifting hard enough or properly? Was the bike ever dropped?

reroka
April 26th, 2014, 10:20 AM
Never dropped, it seems that the shifter is lower than it was. It is just that fact after they installed the 15 tooth sproket I can't get past 2nd geat.

alex.s
April 26th, 2014, 10:33 AM
you have to remove the shifter to get the sprocket cover off, so they probably didn't put it back on with the right alignment making it hard for you to shift up. take it back and have them adjust it for you since they screwed up the adjustment (should be free.. if they try to charge you for that they are crooks)

reroka
April 26th, 2014, 01:38 PM
I had to go back to the 14 tooth sproket. However the shop I took it solid I could do a rear sprocket at 43 and it would do the same as going up one in the front. They also said they would pay for the part and the labor

LNasty
April 26th, 2014, 01:40 PM
I had to go back to the 14 tooth sproket. However the shop I took it solid I could do a rear sprocket at 43 and it would do the same as going up one in the front. They also said they would pay for the part and the labor

there is no reason you can't go to 15t, I have a 2012 and put on a jt 15t, works perfect. did they put it on backwards?

Alex
April 26th, 2014, 01:44 PM
Plenty of people have put 15''s on the front, and you can even get a 16 on with a small amount of grinding of the cover.

reroka
April 26th, 2014, 01:53 PM
I have no idea. They could have done something. All I know is a 15t would not go on and get to 3rd or higher.

LNasty
April 26th, 2014, 01:55 PM
they either were trying to put it on backwards or ordered the wrong part number

Alex
April 26th, 2014, 01:55 PM
All I know is a 15t would not go on and get to 3rd or higher.

But that's the thing - what they are telling you doesn't make sense. A 43 tooth in the rear will be more expensive, and it actually wouldn't be the same change (a 42 tooth would be closer). I think alex.s's assessment is probably most on point here.

What you should think through is that if they are telling you this about something so easily disproved, what else are you trusting them with?

Motofool
April 26th, 2014, 02:48 PM

Take your bike far away from that shop !!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Put the bike on a rear stand.
Disconnect the shifting external mechanism.
Using an adjustable wrench on the shift shaft-lever change all the gears while you rotate the rear wheel by hand.

If you can engage all the gears, find out where the external mechanism is hitting the pegs or frame.

rojoracing53
April 26th, 2014, 03:15 PM
Your shop is full of a bunch of morons period.

DaBlue1
April 26th, 2014, 06:17 PM
Put the bike in Neutral, Take the shifter lever off and make sure the notch is at the 11:00 position. This should give you a general area where the shifter needs to be.

In order to get past 3rd gear the engine needs to be running and the bike moving. If you are still unable to get past 3rd gear, you will need to adjust the tie rod link to where there is approx 3 " between the front tie rod lock nut to the rear lock nut.

Keep in mind the front tie rod lock nut has a LH thread and the rear has a RH thread.

That should give you the adjustment you need.

Now my question to you is... How did you leave the shop and not have them fix it on the spot, if it did not go past third gear.?

C-Bass
April 26th, 2014, 07:05 PM
Your shift lever just needs to be re-adjusted, no other reason.

I just adjusted my shift lever downward, it's easy to do. Just remember both lock nuts need to be turned upward using a 10mm wrench to loosen.

reroka
April 28th, 2014, 09:22 AM
Update,

The two shops tried to get the front sprocket in. However both shops could not get the bike in to 3rd gear or above. what I was told is, that the shift pedal kept hitting something on the bike when you up shifted.

I got to the shop at 930 am and by the time they did testing and putting the orginal sprocket on it was 4 pm. So the first shop I went to said that they will pay for the rear sprocket and install it for free since I was up at the shop all day.

I also think they offered to do this as I called the owner of the shop and complant. After making that call they were really nice, bought my lunch and refunded my money for the front sprocket install and going to the rear sprocket and labor for free..

So they ordered a 43 tooth rear sprocket which should lower my rps according to the chart It comes out to 3.07 instead of 3.0. If I want to get to 3.0 I can install a 42 tooth and it would do the same as a 15/45.

So that is where I am at....

DaBlue1
April 28th, 2014, 09:43 AM
.... However both shops could not get the bike in to 3rd gear or above. what I was told is, that the shift pedal kept hitting something on the bike when you up shifted.

How were they trying to get it in 3rd?
Did you try it or even look at it when they were doing it, maybe even ask them to show it to you?

alex.s
April 28th, 2014, 09:52 AM
Update,

The two shops tried to get the front sprocket in. However both shops could not get the bike in to 3rd gear or above. what I was told is, that the shift pedal kept hitting something on the bike when you up shifted.

I got to the shop at 930 am and by the time they did testing and putting the orginal sprocket on it was 4 pm. So the first shop I went to said that they will pay for the rear sprocket and install it for free since I was up at the shop all day.

I also think they offered to do this as I called the owner of the shop and complant. After making that call they were really nice, bought my lunch and refunded my money for the front sprocket install and going to the rear sprocket and labor for free..

So they ordered a 43 tooth rear sprocket which should lower my rps according to the chart It comes out to 3.07 instead of 3.0. If I want to get to 3.0 I can install a 42 tooth and it would do the same as a 15/45.

So that is where I am at....

don't go back to those shops. the people there don't know what they are doing.

reroka
April 28th, 2014, 11:39 AM
I left the shop with the original 14 tooth sprocket back on and the biking shirting like it should.

The only issue about not going to thoes shops is this. They are only shops in my area that work on bikes. So I have no choice. I would do it my self but I am sure I would get my self killed because I did the job incorrectly.

So really I am up a creek with out a paddle.

Put the bike in Neutral, Take the shifter lever off and make sure the notch is at the 11:00 position. This should give you a general area where the shifter needs to be.

In order to get past 3rd gear the engine needs to be running and the bike moving. If you are still unable to get past 3rd gear, you will need to adjust the tie rod link to where there is approx 3 " between the front tie rod lock nut to the rear lock nut.

Keep in mind the front tie rod lock nut has a LH thread and the rear has a RH thread.

That should give you the adjustment you need.

Now my question to you is... How did you leave the shop and not have them fix it on the spot, if it did not go past third gear.?

NevadaWolf
April 28th, 2014, 11:40 AM
Our bikes have a positive neutral finder, meaning unless the bike is moving you won't be able to shift upward through the gears (once stopped, you drop into first gear then pull up, the bike will go into neutral easily and stay there).

Course this means you shouldn't be able to shift into second either?

Think it would be really helpful to know how you and the "shop" were trying to shift. Did you/they ride it around the lot or was it up on a stand with the rear wheel spinning or was it parked and just held in place with both wheels on the ground?

reroka
April 28th, 2014, 11:51 AM
Let's see if this helps.

They got done with putting the front sprocket on about 10 am. they drove it around the build, they never got it above 2nd. I paid said thainks and left, I got out on to the street tried to shift to 3rd from 2nd and it would not go.

They test the bike both ways. ON the road, on the stand and going round the build. With the bigger sprocket on the the bike would not go to 3rd or higher.

Also the pic above, that is how it looked with the bigger sprocket on. It was in the correct position with the 15t sprocket and it would not shift above 3 with me. The service manager took it out when I told him I could not get in to 3rd or above. So he took it out, the service manager was able to but he had to use his hand and he had to yank it hard to do so....

I am new to motorcycles and still learning. I have no clue what is going on. I wish I did, I wish I could work on this bike like I do computers but I am unable to do so. That is why I took it to them. They also said that this sprocket should go on as they did one the other day with out issues. However my is causing issues.

I do not know, I would be happy to pay for the gas for one of you tyo come to where I live and correct it if any one is willing.

Our bikes have a positive neutral finder, meaning unless the bike is moving you won't be able to shift upward through the gears (once stopped, you drop into first gear then pull up, the bike will go into neutral easily and stay there).

Course this means you shouldn't be able to shift into second either?

Think it would be really helpful to know how you and the "shop" were trying to shift. Did you/they ride it around the lot or was it up on a stand with the rear wheel spinning or was it parked and just held in place with both wheels on the ground?

tfkrocks
April 28th, 2014, 11:56 AM
It will probably be beneficial to venture outside of your area for services. Don't settle for ****** mechanical work just because it's convenient. If they can't manage a simple service like this, how can you trust them to do major services? Would you feel comfortable with those idiots touching your engine later on?

alex.s
April 28th, 2014, 11:58 AM
read.

the information is freely available on google.

from now on do all your bike work yourself and you won't be a helpless victim of greedy shop owners hiring ****** mechanics. you'll save a lot of money.

your problem is simple- the shift lever is not properly adjusted. the fact that they don't understand this even after what... 3 visits now? shows they don't know their ass from the seat and they don't want to bother trying either. until you want to complain to their boss.

do your own work.

reroka
April 28th, 2014, 12:02 PM
I called the the owner of the shop to complain, He listen and said that he would get back to me. Will he? who the hell knows. I am in the middle of trying to find a place who knows what they hell they are doing. I do not plan on going back to them.

I am going to take the part they bought me and either read up and do it my self or travel 200 miles to another shop who knows what in the hell they are doing.

read.

the information is freely available on google.

from now on do all your bike work yourself and you won't be a helpless victim of greedy shop owners hiring ****** mechanics. you'll save a lot of money.

your problem is simple- the shift lever is not properly adjusted. the fact that they don't understand this even after what... 3 visits now? shows they don't know their ass from the seat and they don't want to bother trying either. until you want to complain to their boss.

do your own work.

alex.s
April 28th, 2014, 12:02 PM
I am going to take the part they bought me and either read up and do it my self or travel 200 miles to another shop who knows what in the hell they are doing.

do it yourself. we are here to help if you have issues.

DaBlue1
April 28th, 2014, 12:16 PM
..... The only issue about not going to those shops is this. They are only shops in my area that work on bikes. So I have no choice. I would do it my self but I am sure I would get my self killed because I did the job incorrectly.

So really I am up a creek with out a paddle.

Many riders travel to other shops to have work done outside of their local area. Raleigh has at least a 1/2 dozen shops that could have the correct sprocket on in a couple of hrs. I can't begin to tell you how many people travel to Greenville to take their bikes to Ron Ayers. Know why? They do great work and they have one of the biggest chrome accessories selection in NC.
A little trip outside your local area could be possible. (not necessarily saying go to Greenville of course)

If these two shop are this inept with something as simple as a sprocket change, I'd hate for you to have to take it to them for something more difficult. You will need to have a little knowledge for yourself to make sure any job is done to your satisfaction.

I'm sorry, but I hope you have more confidence in your ability to ride than you do your ability to do a small job correctly. Riding a motorcycle is a dangerous sport in and of itself. You can get killed just riding along.

Hope they get it right this time around. If you get a chance, observe what they do and ask questions. That's how you'll learn what's up.

alex.s
April 28th, 2014, 12:19 PM
no one will ever care about your motorcycle as much as you do. so do your own work because you're the only one who will care enough to make sure it's done 100%.

DaBlue1
April 28th, 2014, 12:20 PM
.....I am going to take the part they bought me and either read up and do it my self or travel 200 miles to another shop who knows what in the hell they are doing.

Take a picture of the part and let us see it.

reroka
April 28th, 2014, 12:21 PM
I am a hell of a lot more confident in my riding not so much on working on bikes yet. If i did it my self I am scared of not doing it correctly and killing my self on the road.

Bikes scare the crap out of my, I respect them just as much I respect the guns I own. I am going to look this shop up. Because team power sports in raleigh sucks. This will also give a chance to take a long ride on a seat I just installed.

Many riders travel to other shops to have work done outside of their local area. Raleigh has at least a 1/2 dozen shops that could have the correct sprocket on in a couple of hrs. I can't begin to tell you how many people travel to Greenville to take their bikes to Ron Ayers. Know why? They do great work and they have one of the biggest chrome accessories selection in NC.
A little trip outside your local area could be possible. (not necessarily saying go to Greenville of course)

If these two shop are this inept with something as simple as a sprocket change, I'd hate for you to have to take it to them for something more difficult. You will need to have a little knowledge for yourself to make sure any job is done to your satisfaction.

I'm sorry, but I hope you have more confidence in your ability to ride than you do your ability to do a small job correctly. Riding a motorcycle is a dangerous sport in and of itself. You can get killed just riding along.

Hope they get it right this time around. If you get a chance, observe what they do and ask questions. That's how you'll learn what's up.

DaBlue1
April 28th, 2014, 12:38 PM
I am a hell of a lot more confident in my riding not so much on working on bikes yet.

That's good to know.

....I am going to look this shop up. Because team power sports in raleigh sucks. This will also give a chance to take a long ride on a seat I just installed.

If you do decide to go to Ron Ayers, just call them up, tell them want you want, make an appt. They'll get you in and out.

reroka
April 28th, 2014, 01:01 PM
Hey man, want to make a couple of hundred dollars? We could meet up I don't live that far from you.

That's good to know.

If you do decide to go to Ron Ayers, just call them up, tell them want you want, make an appt. They'll get you in and out.

broilmebk
April 28th, 2014, 03:54 PM
I am a hell of a lot more confident in my riding not so much on working on bikes yet..

I was the same way when I first got the bike. All it takes is reading and some videos. Instead of spending that x amount of hours at the shop you could spend that time researching how to do it and get it done yourself.

Ninjinsky
April 28th, 2014, 04:39 PM
Post a pic of your shift lever and linkage as it is so we can compare it to our own. and check if the sprocket cover is snug on its dowels because it acts as the shifter shaft bearing. The sprocket cannot stop it shifting into third, It is not related to the shifter mech only a mis aligned sprocket cover or the linkage can do that.
The alternative is that a pin in the selector drum is shot :( but we won't go there until all else is tried.
Though I think you said it worked ok when they put the 14 back ? In which case disregard that.

C-Bass
April 28th, 2014, 06:38 PM
Still mystified about why your bike wouldn't shift into 3rd gear with the 15T sprocket installed. :confused:

Anyhow, if you are happy with the smaller rear sprocket they installed at their cost I suppose it is now a non-issue.

Replacing chains and sprockets takes proper tools, some mechanical skills and strict adherence to the procedures outlined in the service manual. Not to be done improperly as this can be very dangerous!

I'm not quite ready to change the engine sprocket to 15T (or maybe I should go to a 42T rear sprocket in case the chain isn't long enough to accommodate the larger engine sprocket, I don't know yet??), but I will eventually - and I don't foresee any problems with the transmission not being able to function properly after the change. :thumbup:

csmith12
April 28th, 2014, 08:01 PM
http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/ff6/464/2fc/resized/wtf-pug-meme-generator-man-wtf-932683.jpg?1327862752.jpg

reroka
April 29th, 2014, 09:00 AM
This is my thinking, after some time I will be more than happy to work on the bike my self but since I do not have the knoweldge to do it correctly I would rather pay a person to do it. I am very scared to do something like this as I could hurt my self at some point down the road. So untill I learn I would rather pay a person.

I just off the phone with the shop who stated they would pay for the rear sprocket and told them that a 14/42 would work better thana 14/43. So the went a head and reordered a 42 rear sprocket. It goes on Thursday after noon. However I am only picking up the part from them and driving done to greenville to have them work on the bike as I am bought a two brothers exhuast and a jet kit. While I am riding I want others to know that I am there. I want to be seen and heard.

Sunday was a really nice day in North Carolina, I went for a ride about an hour in a man pulled out in front of me. I almost ran in to his rear because he pulled out when he should not have. He pulled over as soon as I did to get gas and said sorry and that he did not see me. This is another reason why I have LED lights under the Bike so when I ride in the wee hours of the morning I can be seen better, this is also why i ride with my brights on.

Still mystified about why your bike wouldn't shift into 3rd gear with the 15T sprocket installed. :confused:

Replacing chains and sprockets takes proper tools, some mechanical skills and strict adherence to the procedures outlined in the service manual. Not to be done improperly as this can be very dangerous! :thumbup:

csmith12
April 29th, 2014, 09:02 AM
:pop2:

broilmebk
April 29th, 2014, 09:30 AM
Sunday was a really nice day in North Carolina, I went for a ride about an hour in a man pulled out in front of me. I almost ran in to his rear because he pulled out when he should not have. He pulled over as soon as I did to get gas and said sorry and that he did not see me. This is another reason why I have LED lights under the Bike so when I ride in the wee hours of the morning I can be seen better, this is also why i ride with my brights on.

:thumbup:

Alex
April 29th, 2014, 09:49 AM
:pop2:

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-3Kj6BB8/0/O/i-3Kj6BB8.gif

crazymadbastard
April 29th, 2014, 10:59 AM
:behindsofa:http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-3Kj6BB8/0/O/i-3Kj6BB8.gif

JohnnyBravo
April 29th, 2014, 07:25 PM
I called the the owner of the shop to complain, He listen and said that he would get back to me. Will he? who the hell knows. I am in the middle of trying to find a place who knows what they hell they are doing. I do not plan on going back to them.

Bring it to winston and I will help you free of charge, or wait till I ride up to Durham to see my fam or friends... Do not pay these screw balls or take your bike to those shops again. Which shops are these so I will know not to even stop by to look around. If you only trust a shop bring it to Kevin powell's shop! They are expensive, but my buds up there know their stuff!

JohnnyBravo
April 29th, 2014, 07:29 PM
This is my thinking, after some time I will be more than happy to work on the bike my self but since I do not have the knoweldge to do it correctly I would rather pay a person to do it. I am very scared to do something like this as I could hurt my self at some point down the road. So untill I learn I would rather pay a person.

I just off the phone with the shop who stated they would pay for the rear sprocket and told them that a 14/42 would work better thana 14/43. So the went a head and reordered a 42 rear sprocket. It goes on Thursday after noon. However I am only picking up the part from them and driving done to greenville to have them work on the bike as I am bought a two brothers exhuast and a jet kit. While I am riding I want others to know that I am there. I want to be seen and heard.

Get the Kawasaki shop manual, you can use basic hand tools ( it's simple ) the shop manual will give you all the directions! Easy peasey:thumbup:

reroka
April 30th, 2014, 05:38 AM
Send me a Pm with contact info. I will get in touch with you. I have no problem taking a rid up to winston. It should be a nice ride. I would not ask you to do it for free. If you wont take money I will be more than happy to buy a pizza pie and some beer.

Go a head and send a pm to me with contact info and I will get in contact with you.

Bring it to winston and I will help you free of charge, or wait till I ride up to Durham to see my fam or friends... Do not pay these screw balls or take your bike to those shops again. Which shops are these so I will know not to even stop by to look around. If you only trust a shop bring it to Kevin powell's shop! They are expensive, but my buds up there know their stuff!

DaBlue1
April 30th, 2014, 08:15 AM
Hey man, want to make a couple of hundred dollars? We could meet up I don't live that far from you.

If you lived just a little closer, I wouldn't have a problem helping you out. Hopefully the weather will hold up if you go to Greenville.

DaBlue1
May 23rd, 2014, 08:59 AM
Any update on this?
Inquiring minds want to know.

reroka
May 23rd, 2014, 09:03 AM
Yeah, I went with a 14/42 with allowed me to do what I wanted. I could never get the 15t to take.

Any update on this?
Inquiring minds want to know.

CZroe
May 23rd, 2014, 09:32 AM
I wonder if they damaged a shift fork somehow and didn't want to admit it.

cuong-nutz
May 23rd, 2014, 10:45 AM
I wonder if they damaged a shift fork somehow and didn't want to admit it.

Shift fork unlikely. Stupity more likely.

Alex
June 11th, 2014, 03:19 PM
Update to this saga... (https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=184509)

reroka
June 12th, 2014, 03:07 AM
Yes an update,

Man this was a pain in the ass. Next time I will just do the work myself. Glad this crap is over and working right.

Update to this saga... (https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=184509)