View Full Version : First WA Pleasure Ride: Mercer Island

Yakaru
April 26th, 2014, 06:54 PM
So after looking at a few bike maps I decided that my first try at some fun roads in WA would be Mercer island -- roughly documented here: http://www.bestbikingroads.com/motorcycle-roads/motorbike-rides-in-united-states-/washington-/mercer-way--mercer-_90f064.html

The road is filled with bicyclists and there is no point, including during some nearly hairpin turns, that the middle line goes solid. This led to some cars doing passes that would make me nervous to take this road at anything resembling aggressive riding. The west side of the road isn't very interesting but the east side has some fun twisties that flowed into each other fairly well (though one in particular surprised me a bit with a reduced radius).

It's definitely a good quick route for anyone in the Seattle area who doesn't want to take a full day but wants to get a fun little route in. I'd recommend just staying on the east side and U-turning unless you're just 'diverting' during a crossing over the Lake or something similar. Sadly I didn't have the cameras with me, so no video of this ride (I was riding quite tamely as it was an unfamiliar road though).

NevadaWolf
April 27th, 2014, 07:47 AM
Yay for the first fun ride, boo that is was crowded.

Trying to recall any fun roads I've been on around there, but sadly never been in the area when on the bike and AFAIK never driven. The joys of heading up with family to visit family. :)

There's a really neat winding road along the coast between Mt. Vernon and Bellingham, um Chuckanut I think?, that was nice and curvy enough I remember thinking if only I had brought the bike. :) not too far north of ya.

evidens83
April 27th, 2014, 11:30 AM
Hmmm will have to mention this to my riding buddy. Looks like a nice ride.

alex.s
April 27th, 2014, 11:46 AM
wheres the pics?

Yakaru
April 27th, 2014, 07:47 PM
wheres the pics?

Didn't have my camera with me, I'll be doing the route again for sure and will be sure to get some pictures/video next time.

azn370z
April 28th, 2014, 12:04 AM
This road is best during the winter when there is very little traffic. It has a lot of nice turns but because it's residential you can't really push it.

dfox
April 28th, 2014, 04:25 AM
I drove that back when I had my mini. loved the road, but the residential aspect really keeps your speeds down...

There are a lot of awesome roads in the foothills with very easy drives to get there, keep on browsing those maps!