View Full Version : Bent woodcraft rear sets

beniblanco
April 28th, 2014, 06:59 PM
I Have a inward bent bracket that a friend gave to me and was wondering what would be the best way to bend the main bracket back to get it some what straight.

cuong-nutz
April 28th, 2014, 07:05 PM
pics?

Only thing I can think of is put the bent piece in a vice and pull with a vice grip the opposite way.....okay or smack that crap straight with BFH.

subxero
April 28th, 2014, 07:06 PM
maybe heat? I think you can heat T6 to around or over 300 f if i remember correctly before it starts to lose temper. It is an all or nothing kind of thing, little to no effect on temper until you hit that magic number. But i can't remember what that number was.

But anyway, perhaps if you heat it up a bit that will help it bend with out damaging the physical integrity any more than it already is/was

In short.... i have no ****ing clue, just put it in a vice and hit it with a big hammer :thumbup:

beniblanco
April 28th, 2014, 07:30 PM
I was thinking of doing the bending with a vice but was worried that the heat might make it weak.

alex.s
April 28th, 2014, 07:49 PM
put it around a towel and put it in the vice, take two vicegrips around the towel on the other side and bend it back. don't heat it.

beniblanco
April 28th, 2014, 07:59 PM
I will try the vice bending without heat and just take my time. I Want to do my best to salvage it. Thanks for the input.

csmith12
April 28th, 2014, 08:17 PM
I bent mine 8 days ago. I bent it back 3 days ago just like Alex said.

mgentz
April 29th, 2014, 05:04 AM
+1

put it in the vice and bend it back.

beniblanco
May 1st, 2014, 02:18 PM
Well I'm going to use my friend's vice and try fixing it this weekend, but I was wondering if I need spacers for the front two mounting bolts of the brackets when attaching it to the bike. Because I don't have any and have no idea if it's actually needed or not for mounting. If anybody has pics that would be great because I can't seem to find any online.

csmith12
May 1st, 2014, 02:27 PM
No spacers needed mang.

beniblanco
May 1st, 2014, 02:46 PM
Okay, good to know. Thanks :thumbup: