View Full Version : Best way to repair fairings?

PloXyZeRO
April 28th, 2014, 07:38 PM
Today, I was turning right out of a parking lot that had a pretty steep driveway exit with sewage at the bottom. My rear wheel left traction after turning (accelerated a bit too fast I'm guessing), and my bike high-sided and flung me right into a parked car! Luckily I got up very minimal injuries because of my gear :)

Anyway, now my left turn signal is now COMPLETELY broken, my shifter is extremely bent in (I tried as hard as I could to bend it back into shape, but it wouldn't work), and my fairings took quite a bit of damage (they were cheap replacements from the old owner so it's very apparent now).

Ordered a new pair of turn signals and a new shifter

Most people recommend not wasting money on fairings on your first bike, so how should I go about repairing it? The bike had been dropped before so now pretty much every fairing has cracks and scratches. Thanks!

http://i.imgur.com/roFqoLm.jpg

EDIT:
Also my rear left turn signal won't work even though it's intact. And although my right signals still work, it doesn't show that they are activated above my speedo. Any reason as to why? Thanks!

NevadaWolf
April 28th, 2014, 07:51 PM
Re the signals: if they are the stock lights the thermal relay doesn't get hot enough with only one light working so the signal and indicator remain on when one bulb is burnt (or broken). Once you fix the front signal, they'll work again.

NevadaWolf
April 28th, 2014, 07:59 PM
If the cracks in the fairing aren't substantial (like threatening to shatter the entire piece) one idea is to repaint it yourself.

Go down to the auto parts store and pick up a variety of sand paper, using rough stuff to clean off the entire area of the scratches and progressively using finer and finer grain until you have a perfectly smooth panel again. Cover it with primer, then black, then clear coat. **find a real painter for more information than me

If there are substantial cracks or broken pieces and you have the pieces, tfkrocks may be able to help with the abs cement stuff.

Or, sand it down to be smooth, then PlastiDip the entire thing. Check out auntymunga's thread here: https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=175578 to see what black PlastiDip can do.

Or scour ebay or the marketplace here for the corect fairing. You may be able to find a cheap on that is just lightly scratched to pick up until you can afford new ones.

Um.... Hope that helps. I just repainted mine using spray cans from ColorRite to get the OEM color. :)

PloXyZeRO
April 28th, 2014, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the tips! I'll install the new signals when they come and hopefully they'll be working again like you said

Some of the cracks are pretty bad (the entire piece where the left turn signal is held just broke completely), so I'll have to see what I can do about cementing it

PlastiDipping doesn't seem like a bad option at this point! I'll compare the prices of paint/plastidip and try to come to a decision

tfkrocks
April 28th, 2014, 09:05 PM
If you're coming to the SF Bay area for any reason or want to pay for shipping, you can have a less damaged fairing that came off my black 2008 Ninja 250 for free. It's missing a chunk and is scraped up from what I assume to be a lowside, but the turn signal well is intact and the fairing as a whole might be easier to fix up and repaint. You could even use the intact parts of your current fairing to rebuild the small missing section if you want. PM me if you're interested.

auntymunga
April 29th, 2014, 01:05 AM
Here are some helpful videos, maybe not exactly your problem but it'll maybe give you some ideas?

u1XQRMODKeU
j4RECGjEOnE