View Full Version : Reflective Rim Tape

komohana
April 23rd, 2009, 10:14 PM
i jumped onto the rim tape band wagon with the purchase of some reflective wheel tape from Ebay. for $5.99 & free shipping i got 5 sheets of well cut, pre curved strips, (4 strips ea. with a full spare sheet.)
i wanted to get a color abit more on the darker yellow-goldish side instead of bananarama bright yellow. installation was event free, and found that i got a better look if i overlapped the ends with a diagonal cut at each end.
the 4 strips per wheel was more then enuff, and actually ended up with roughly 3 to 5 inches of tape left per wheel.

heres a link (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270369060570&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&viewitem=) to the seller's page.

my commute to work takes only 15 minutes, and i'm often on the road between 5am - 6am (oh-dark-thirty). there's roughly a 5 mile straight line stretch between kekaha town and the base, and a seed development company has it's employees and work vehicles coming and going around that time. have had some encounters there, and did the reflective tape mod to make me just that much more visible in the 'danger zone'.

aloha
:ride:

kkim
April 23rd, 2009, 10:17 PM
:thumbup:

Grn99Kawi
April 24th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Looks great with the yellow! I just put some bright greens ones on mine yesterday.. not reflective though as the green they make reflective doesnt seem to match well.

Strider
April 24th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Nice color! Looks great on your bike :)
I actually wish I had gotten Gold instead of red...
You got a better deal on eBay than I did
I ended up with enough extra to do another wheel though!

komohana
April 24th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Looks great with the yellow! I just put some bright greens ones on mine yesterday.. not reflective though as the green they make reflective doesnt seem to match well.

thanx adam
where did you get your tape from? ... post any pix? :photo:

...And the new Reflective Red RimTape I added today
( I love the red , but I think maybe next time it will be gold )

gold w/black will look good :thumbup:
the pix you posted with the evening shots that showed the reflectivity of the
tape you have now sorta set me going in that direction. thanx :salute2:

kutelilkittie
April 24th, 2009, 09:57 PM
http://www.autopinstripes.com/

Grn99Kawi
April 25th, 2009, 08:20 AM
I got mine from Graphic Language.. glsigns on ebay...

http://duggerracing.com/ninja/ninja86.jpg

There is one part that I didn't like how it came out... but I dont think you can see it from greater than about an inch away.. but I might redo it over the summer... but who knows...

Adam

Strider
April 25th, 2009, 04:41 PM
My wife says the red with the black was SO typical ...
But hey, I like red :)

komohana
April 25th, 2009, 11:52 PM
I got mine from Graphic Language.. glsigns on ebay...
There is one part that I didn't like how it came out... but I dont think you can see it from greater than about an inch away.. but I might redo it over the summer... but who knows...Adam

thanx for the view...
i actually like how that particular color goes with the green and blue on yer bike.
i know whatcha mean about the install. i did one side of the front wheel one way, (rim tape noob here..) and it seemed i did the rest differently, refining as i went along :o
the tape i got wasnt as wide the area of the wheel i applied it to, and after some consideration, i decided that i needed a more defined reference point and chose to put the tape on the inboard side of the area in question where the rim bends towards horizontal. there the rim flattens out as opposed to the flange on the outboard side that would have been hard to keep straight...(for my handicapped skills..)

but like you said...who knows, ya know? :thumbup:

mahalo