View Full Version : adding a glove box to fairing

jschorr
May 7th, 2014, 10:26 AM
to start let me say i have a pre-gen.

i'm starting to load up my bike with all the little extras that make life easier. was just sizing out the front fairing for a clock/usb charger and realized that there is more than enough room there to add a compartment on each side big enough for my gloves, phone, or what not.

started to look around the shop for sheets of plastic to wield up some boxes but decided that there is no way that i am the first to try this and someone else probably did it and knows a prefab way to get a couple water tight lockable boxes mounted in the fairing.

i am sure that there is a bike out there that has boxes built in, ie: goldwing, but dont know of any with slim storage boxes that would fit my space requirements.

so what do you guys think? any ideas?

Ninja Bob
May 7th, 2014, 10:29 AM
This sounds like a great idea. :pop2:

csmith12
May 7th, 2014, 11:27 AM
I remember someone mounting a slim lock box on their pregen. I bet the thread can be found. /searching

Kevin1956
May 7th, 2014, 11:59 AM
jschorr One option would be small Pelican Cases mounted within the fairings. The have rubber seals and are waterproof. They come in many sizes, colors, and configurations. Other places to check for waterproof containers are boating or camping/backpacking supply companies.

jschorr
May 7th, 2014, 12:00 PM
I have been trying to search but haven't come up with the right combo of words yet:beatdeadhorse:

The boat/pelican case idea is pretty good.

Ninja Bob
May 7th, 2014, 12:33 PM
One thing you may want to consider is heat resistance depending on how close it is to engine components. But I haven't really peaked under there, so I don't know myself.

jschorr
May 7th, 2014, 01:07 PM
So far....

Goldwing, triumph, Honda 1100 all have inside fairing pockets.

The triumph has a 9 inch deep one making it the best so far. Need to find dimensions, and that is turning out to be harder Than it should be.

Heat should not be a problem. This will be mounted in front of the fork radius. It will cut air flow a bit.

Kscreations08
May 8th, 2014, 01:48 AM
Hmmm. An interesting idea. If proven doable, I could see this being really useful. I have a newgen but I imagine the concept is the same, no? I remember a post somewhere around here where a rider put a USB port or something of the sort on the top side of the main fairing. I could see cutting a notch in the topside, adding hinges and a lock for the door... This is possible lol.

Hope it works, would love to see it done.

harvey58
May 10th, 2014, 08:38 PM
Depends on how easy you want to be able to access your "storage". Pelican boxes can be mounted inside the fairing. To me, I'd rather just use a backpack to be sure.
You never can tell when you might need something!

Klondike1020
May 10th, 2014, 08:47 PM
You could make metal mounts or baskets that water tight cases could slide into and then purchase some affordable cases from walmart or ebay since they have a variety of shapes and sizes. that way u can put them on the bike or pull them out and take them with you if you are camping or staying in a hotel room.

Also many ATVs Scooters snowmobiles and jet skis have weather tight glove boxes
Go on ebay motors and select motorcycle parts, snowmobile parts or whichever
search for "compartment" "glovebox"
Here is one that looks suitable

it is lockable. Change out the keying or get a key made

http://www.ebay.com/itm/B252-36413-05-06-Honda-CBR-600-RR-600RR-Box-Storage-Compartment-/141165407602?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20de1d2d72&vxp=mtr

this is decent enough too
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-Honda-CB900-CB-900-Tool-Storage-Compartment-/360383713365?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53e88b1055&vxp=mtr

Another good one. a bit large
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VF700-VF-700-SABRE-Plastic-Glove-Storage-tool-kit-box-/230871131349?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35c0fde4d5&vxp=mtr