View Full Version : Getting Gear

Demented
April 26th, 2009, 08:49 PM
So yea i need gear. Dont wanna go over the top with crazy prices. I just want good gear for a reasonable price. I live in florida and will be riding my bike as my ONLY means of transportation. I need a good jacket and Helmet. Also what do you guys use for rain protection? Also can i use my normal backpack for school stuff or do i need a special one thats rainproof/ride able? Thanks

Nemy
April 26th, 2009, 08:54 PM
There are a lot of posts on this subject already with good recommendations for clothing, helmet, gloves etc. and you certainly don't have to go over the top for spending.

Some jackets will come with rain liners and what not which will protect you in the occasional rain. For heavier downpours I use the outer shell of an old snowboarding jacket and will be picking up a pair of snowboarding pants.

Regular backpacks will let in water after a while, though. So if you carry anything important I would look into something with a rain cover or if you're cheapy like me you can carry plastic bags and zip locks for the important stuff.

Nickds7
April 26th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Get pants. I wrecked 5 hours ago and I recommend pants.

Demented
April 26th, 2009, 09:44 PM
True, you ok?

Nickds7
April 26th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Yeah I'm ok, lots of bruising and a small ammount of rash from my jacket lifting in the back. I'd be a lot more messed up without gear, probably hospitalized. If you are looking for a pair of well priced waterproof pants.. Scorpion XDR (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/40/17381/ITEM/Scorpion-XDR-Invasion-Pants.aspx?SiteID=CSE_GBase_040&WT.mc_ID=80003&zmam=88421133&zmas=1&zmac=2&zmap=17381) pants are great.

capt_bugaloo
April 26th, 2009, 10:19 PM
eBay is actually a great source for cheap gear. I bought a pair of like-new Alpinestar GP boots, normally about $300 US, for just $30 used plus maybe $15 shipping. I`ve also recently bought a pair of riding overpants: armoured, suspenders, made of waterproof cordura nylon, very nice for riding - just $45 with shipping. You can also find items like gloves, jackets, raingear, etc. there.

About the one thing I wouldn`t buy from there is a helmet - you just don`t know it`s condition or size. For helmets I go to a proper motorcycle shop so that I can try on several models and buy what fits most comfortably.

Demented
April 26th, 2009, 10:28 PM
eBay is actually a great source for cheap gear. I bought a pair of like-new Alpinestar GP boots, normally about $300 US, for just $30 used plus maybe $15 shipping. I`ve also recently bought a pair of riding overpants: armoured, suspenders, made of waterproof cordura nylon, very nice for riding - just $45 with shipping. You can also find items like gloves, jackets, raingear, etc. there.

About the one thing I wouldn`t buy from there is a helmet - you just don`t know it`s condition or size. For helmets I go to a proper motorcycle shop so that I can try on several models and buy what fits most comfortably.

Overpants?- Do those go over normal clothes? if so id be down for that and just put them in my back pack when i go to class and such. Is there a good jacket that i can get that can be stored as well? I would like to have a conveinent way to store them if possible you know.

Demented
April 26th, 2009, 11:38 PM
so i was thinking something like this,
First gear Ht overpants:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/40/147/ITEM/Firstgear-HT-Air-2-0-Overpants.aspx

Scorpion EXO-700:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/38/6963/ITEM/Scorpion-EXO-700-Burst-Helmet.aspx

Just need a sweet jacket.

Alex
April 26th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Here's a link (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9694) to one of the more extensive gear threads we've had up here...

muffinman
April 27th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Hey man, check out www.sportbiketrackgear.com (great prices, make sure you use the e-mail option for ICON or Alpinestars gear) for some guidance (video reviews).

www.sandhillspowersports.com has some of the best prices I've seen online.

www.newenough.com --> scour their closeout section.. unbeatable deals