View Full Version : Is the EX300 capable of a long distance highway ride?

ToddRuff1
May 22nd, 2014, 02:02 AM
I would really like to go on a ride occasionally this summer to visit some family, but I'm not sure how capable my 300cc engine would be on such a long trip. The trip is 200 miles door to door and about 180 miles of it are all on highways with the speed limit at 70 MPH. Would I be causing any internal damage running the engine at 8000 - 9000 rpm for extended periods of time? I have about 1100 miles on the bike, so I have finished the break-in period already. Any help would be great... I've thought about trading in my bike for a larger model, but I don't want to pay significantly higher insurance because I have a "performance" bike instead.

Thanks in advance for all the helpful advice.

Todd
Vancouver, WA

Kscreations08
May 22nd, 2014, 02:08 AM
Hello Todd. Youre new here. I'm taking my 250 for a ride to visit family at the southern tip of the state, coincidentally 200 miles highway door to door. The trip is happening this weekend. Mine will do it, yours will too. I report back when I successfully complete the trip

tfkrocks
May 22nd, 2014, 02:22 AM
You'll be fine. Don't worry about it.

ToddRuff1
May 22nd, 2014, 03:08 AM
Thanks for the info... I bought my 300 last spring, and have recently begun wondering whether or not I should have got something bigger. Sounds like I'll be ok with what I have. I love the bike, just a little concerned though.

Also, do you have any recommendations for saddle bags or a tank bag for the EX300? I was planning on wearing a backpack, but have been cautioned against that.

Thanks again, and I'm looking forward to a summer full of riding, and some great conversations and education in this forum.

Todd

tfkrocks
May 22nd, 2014, 03:21 AM
Givi top case :thumbup:

One thing to note with a tank bag is that it'll prevent you from tucking and could potentially be a bit awkward if it's large enough. However, it's super useful for having directions or if you need to reach anything while riding. I use a large Icon tank bag when I need to carry more stuff.

Haven't used saddlebag so no recommendations there. Kriega makes some great waterproof tail bags though.

EsrTek
May 22nd, 2014, 04:49 AM
300 will do it no problem...For long highway rides, I'd suggest taking breaks. For me it's about 2hr before the vibrations get to me. Take 10 mins off bike, then right back on for another stint...

To make it better upgrade your front sprocket to a 15th tooth, which will drop revs some at 70+ by at least 1k rpms (if not more) and really does help (think u'll even get a bit better gas milage that way).

subxero
May 22nd, 2014, 05:18 AM
the 300 can barely go over triple digits so probably not

choneofakind
May 22nd, 2014, 05:20 AM
You'll be just fine, as long as you don't expect to cruise comfortably at 90+ the whole way like you can on a Busa or Concourse. Stick with the traffic flow, pick some back roads if possible because they're much more enjoyable, and have a blast!

GHill762
May 22nd, 2014, 06:27 AM
for luggage, check this out: http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/cycle/large_photo?mv_session_id=yEydnToa&mv_arg=P9303&search_model=ka%2d090

that luggage rack would be great for long distance..

another couple things you might consider for long distance would be a touring windscreen to take some of the wind off you (you'll be less fatigued) and some weighted bar ends will help take vibration out of the bars (so your hands don't go numb after an hour) and another thing people do for long distance is change the seat out to something more comfy..

as far as tank bags, I have a joe rocket bag and absolutely love it, there are saddlebags and a tail bag that all work together too but I forget the brand.. with that luggage rack you could easily secure a duffle bag or smaller hard travel bag..

the little ninja 300 will have no problem going long distances as long as you can sit on it comfortably..

NevadaWolf
May 22nd, 2014, 07:00 AM
The 300 will be fine. 200 miles is only 3-4 hours of riding. Take a break somewhere around the 1-2 hour mark. The biggest obstacle to a long ride is not the bike, its you and your level of comfort.

As far as luggage goes, i always hear the "backpacks are bad" warning but say :p to it. Try it out for yourself, you may find a backpack works perfectly for you. I carry four litres of water which is heavier than most things people carry. Try it before deciding if your back can or cannot support the load.

Otherwise a small tailbag would probably be better than saddlebags for the design of the tail.

antiant
May 22nd, 2014, 07:22 AM
It will be fine. Personally though, I find the seat unbearable after 30 mins, so I would change that, but that is subjective to each person. There's also nothing wrong with riding with a backpack, but again it is all subjective. Do whatever makes you feel comfortable.

verboten1
May 22nd, 2014, 08:03 AM
The biggest obstacle to a long ride is not the bike, its you and your level of comfort.

this was going to be my input as well.

The bike is fine, it was made to run and move.

My limitation is always fatigue, and not the bike

capt_bugaloo
May 22nd, 2014, 08:28 AM
I read an article about a guy who rode from Key West to Alaska and back on a CBR 125cc. A 300cc can manage a 2-hour ride without batting an eye.

cbinker
May 22nd, 2014, 10:03 AM
do farts stink?

fishdip
May 22nd, 2014, 10:40 AM
I went from co to az about 1000 miles on the 300 only stopping for gas. I did around 90mph most of the trip and really not much less then 75mph and the bike did it just fine.

Alex
May 22nd, 2014, 10:47 AM
Is the EX300 capable of a long distance highway ride?

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-mNkskWD/0/O/i-mNkskWD.gif

alex.s
May 22nd, 2014, 12:01 PM
longest i've done is about 800 miles in about 10 hours (about an hours worth of breaks)

seemed to do fine. it also did fine on the way back.

CC Cowboy
May 22nd, 2014, 03:07 PM
I would really like to go on a ride occasionally this summer to visit some family, but I'm not sure how capable my 300cc engine would be on such a long trip. The trip is 200 miles door to door and about 180 miles of it are all on highways with the speed limit at 70 MPH. Would I be causing any internal damage running the engine at 8000 - 9000 rpm for extended periods of time? I have about 1100 miles on the bike, so I have finished the break-in period already. Any help would be great... I've thought about trading in my bike for a larger model, but I don't want to pay significantly higher insurance because I have a "performance" bike instead.

Thanks in advance for all the helpful advice.

Todd
Vancouver, WA

Todd, weren't you on SNL?

As far as the ride, let's be realistic, do you really think your bike won't make it 200 miles? Of course it will. It's coming back home where you'll have problems. That extra 200 miles makes the trip 400 miles which at 70 will melt the pistons to the valves, burn up all the oil, wear out the tires, beside make you so exhausted you won't be able to ride for the rest of the summer. But it's your decision!

NevadaWolf
May 22nd, 2014, 04:04 PM
longest i've done is about 800 miles in about 10 hours (about an hours worth of breaks)

seemed to do fine. it also did fine on the way back.

Jeeze! That's booking it. My 10 hours with about 20-25 minutes worth of fuel stops gives me about 650-700 miles. Ish, depends on when those ten hours fall.

I'll be waving as you go by. :D

alex.s
May 22nd, 2014, 04:09 PM
Jeeze! That's booking it. My 10 hours with about 20-25 minutes worth of fuel stops gives me about 650-700 miles. Ish, depends on when those ten hours fall.

I'll be waving as you go by. :D

it was heading to and from motogp up in laguna seca, i had limited time to get there and back so i really was booking it way too fast. split the entire way (along with countless other bikes.) the cars on the highway seemed like they understood what was going on and were pretty good about giving lots of room for the bikes. i dont think i've ever seen that many motorcycles (including moto cops) splitting so many cars at 90+ but i was pretty much just going with the flow

NevadaWolf
May 22nd, 2014, 04:15 PM
Ahhhh okies.

I'll still be waving. :) :wave:

Hero Danny
May 23rd, 2014, 11:55 AM
If my '03 250 could do it, then I'm sure your brand new 300 can.

spooph
May 23rd, 2014, 02:50 PM
http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/123/4/9/ha_ha_lol_by_ddkak1234-d3fixue.jpg

200 miles... pfft!

ok ok, I keed I keed...

Seriously, keep with chain maintenance (every 500 miles This helps (http://www.packjack.ca/)), and oil changes and your bike will be happy. :)

200 miles is a nice start to the day...

Yakaru
May 23rd, 2014, 03:00 PM
People have done the "Iron Butt Challenge" on 250s/300s. I regularly took Saturn between Las Vegas and Los Angeles. You won't have any issues :)

NevadaWolf
May 23rd, 2014, 03:04 PM
Seriously, keep with chain maintenance (every 500 miles)

This was my trick before I got fed up with it and went to an automatic system

79RgJ29lb9U

N-m
May 23rd, 2014, 03:07 PM
the 300 can barely go over triple digits so probably not

Sarcasm. I love it. :bounce:

N-m
May 23rd, 2014, 03:09 PM
The question is actually whether you have the bike set up so you can remain comfortable for a long term trip.

I will be traveling to Atlanta this summer at some point and that is approximately 225 miles for me. I suspect I will have no problem since I have ridden a round trip of about 150 miles with zero problems. That includes interstate travel as well.

Rogue
May 23rd, 2014, 04:22 PM
One of the Ninja 300 forum guys just completed a 4000 mile trip in 8 days. If your body can handle, your bike will have no issues. His only complaint was how hard the seat feels after that first 1000. :)

N-m
May 23rd, 2014, 05:41 PM
One of the Ninja 300 forum guys just completed a 4000 mile trip in 8 days. If your body can handle, your bike will have no issues. His only complaint was how hard the seat feels after that first 1000. :)

The factory seat will have to go at some point on mine. That is probably the least comfortable aspect of any on the 2006 I have.

spooph
May 27th, 2014, 08:20 AM
This was my trick before I got fed up with it and went to an automatic system

79RgJ29lb9U

Ugh, that is tedious... I used to find a long open space in a parking lot and roll the bike around... The pack jack is awesome!

capt_bugaloo
May 27th, 2014, 08:21 AM
I hope that Todd will post a follow-up after his ride, and let us know if the bike survived the arduous journey.... :D