View Full Version : I dropped my bike!

motorcycle_munge
April 27th, 2009, 10:30 AM
I went out riding with my husband yesterday. We did a 130 mile trip (technically I rode 50 the day before and he met up with me yesterday). While riding we pulled in to a gas station. There was a big incline to get down into the station, I thought for a second that it was going to be hard to get back onto the road, but went ahead down anyway. My feet didn't touch the ground, because the incline was so steep, normally my feet reach the ground with no problems. Needless to say, I dropped the bike trying to get back out onto the road. There is very minimal damage to the bike, a scuff on the mirror, handle bar, and foot peg, and a tiny dent in the exhaust, you would really have to look to find them. I only ended up with a couple of bruises, one on my right knee from hitting the ground, and one on my left shin from hitting the foot peg. I had my helmet, jacket, and a back pack on. My husband said I looked like a turtle when I fell over. My husband helped me get it onto the road. I hopped right back on and finished my ride.

OldGuy
April 27th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Bummer Amanda - Glad to hear that you are OK. Please tell us your husband rushed to your aide and was concerned about you and did not stand to the side and laugh :rolleyes:

Unfortunately I think there are some things that we start thinking about in a negative manner and we end up with a self full filling prophesy. The Ole Little Train That Could nursery rhyme might be a good lesson.

motorcycle_munge
April 27th, 2009, 10:38 AM
He was backing his bike down the hill, because he saw that I was having trouble and was afraid I was going to start rolling back. As soon as he got his bike down the hill, he came and helped me. I got up and just shook it off. I have taken this as a lesson learned, if it looks to steep to get out of, don't try it. I don't even have my frame sliders yet, they've been on back order for 6 weeks. I was very lucky not to get more damage than I did.

Snake
April 27th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Amanda, I'm very glad to hear that you are OK. I'm also glad to hear that you didn't let the incident rattle your nerves and you got gack back up on that "horse" and showed it who's boss.

Techno250
April 27th, 2009, 11:01 AM
I have taken this as a lesson learned, if it looks to steep to get out of, don't try it.

:thumbup:

I remember when I was first learning to drive a stick ('76 VW Super Beetle), and hated any kind of incline. Finally mastered by just trying. Of course four wheels is different from two. Glad you hopped back on and kept riding!

Daeldren
April 27th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Welcome to the club, now its truly broken in. Don't worry too much about it just shake it off and get back on and everybody drops their bike at least once (hell Ive done it at least twice to both bikes Ive owned.)

FroggyGreenInSD
April 27th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Inclines can be intimidating to an inexperienced rider (no idea if you fall in that category or not though). Glad to hear you're OK.

The first day I got my bike, on the ride home I had to ride up this hill that I really didn't want to have to stop on. Sure enough, half way up the light is red. I was really nervous and ended up stalling the bike at least twice, maybe three times trying to get going. The best part was there was somebody behind me in a BMW sedan. He didn't try and go around me, and he didn't honk at me, so he must have been laughing hysterically at me :o

The best thing I can recommend to conquer the hills is practice. Start out on some small inclines you're comfortable with and work your way up from there. After a few weeks I managed to get the hang of it, I'm sure you will too :thumbup:

Viper-Byte
April 27th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Good to hear there is little damage to both you and the bike!

I don't like inclines either, but I have found to keep right foot on rear brake, keep revs elevated more than normal, slip the clutch is the easiest way, it really just takes practice.

tiburonsita
April 27th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Glad to hear it was minimal for you and the bike.

BlueRaven
April 27th, 2009, 05:49 PM
glad your ok. that's why i refused to ride before i got my joe rocket leather padded pants before my first ride. don't feel bad about dropping it. i dropped it 5 min after i got mine delivered by moving it without sitting on it. i see the damage as a scar with a story, builds caracter.

motorcycle_munge
April 27th, 2009, 07:03 PM
This is my first bike. I've only got about 500 miles under my belt. I know that everybody has to drop their bike. I'm glad that I had on my jacket and helmet. I was impressed that there wasn't more damage than what there was. I ordered frame sliders over 6 weeks ago and they still haven't came in yet!

BlueRaven
April 28th, 2009, 05:17 PM
god darnit. got off of work early cause it was 30C insinde the office building today and had to leave after taking it for over 3 hours. i taught i left before i had any health issue but i guess i falled to assess my condition before getting on the bike cause at the first stop the pavement was all broken up and it was a little windy started leaning to the right, lost my footing and didn't have the energy to keep it from falling. to my suprise i was soo weak i couldnt pick up the bike. thank god a man and woman saw that right away and litarely ran out of the car to my aid. i couldnt believe it. i was bringing it to the shop to have the seat foam changed and set down an inch. now i really need to have it lowered.

Strider
April 28th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Glad you weren't hurt! That's the main thing.
Gear CAN save your life!

Also glad you finished the ride,
some people drop/crash and never want to get back on again...

I'm REALLY beginning to think this year is cursed since their have been SO many crashes lately
I almost got hit today myself, but I was able to slip around the granny in the SUV that pulled out in front of me ...

JaeL
April 28th, 2009, 08:00 PM
He was backing his bike down the hill, because he saw that I was having trouble and was afraid I was going to start rolling back. As soon as he got his bike down the hill, he came and helped me. I got up and just shook it off. I have taken this as a lesson learned, if it looks to steep to get out of, don't try it. I don't even have my frame sliders yet, they've been on back order for 6 weeks. I was very lucky not to get more damage than I did.

whata bummer that you bought'em but ther on back order!!

JaeL
April 28th, 2009, 08:02 PM
glad your ok. that's why i refused to ride before i got my joe rocket leather padded pants before my first ride. don't feel bad about dropping it. i dropped it 5 min after i got mine delivered by moving it without sitting on it. i see the damage as a scar with a story, builds caracter.

I dropped mine gettin' it outta the trailer after driving cross country to buy it. atleast now i no i'm not the first to do it be4 riding it.

Sound Wave
April 28th, 2009, 08:35 PM
glad to hear that it was only a minor injury to both you and your bike. maybe you could consider investing in some knee/shin armor if your pants doesn't already have some built in. they run pretty cheap.

BlueTyke
April 29th, 2009, 06:21 AM
Good for you for getting right back on! It is a tough thing falling but thats why they made the 250s so durable! :D