View Full Version : Finally picking up my ninja!!

Zdolak90
May 24th, 2014, 06:30 PM
Hey guys so I've been talking about trying to convinced dad to let me buy a new ninja after I sell my Buell blast! Hopefully tomorrow I will be selling the blast. That means Tuesday I will be picking up my ninja!! I am so freaking excited. It's all I can think about lol. I have trouble sleeping at night because of it. Any advice when I pick it up? I went with the white se model with abs. I didn't even test ride it because I only have a permit. I think I will love it! I just want to ride it so badly lol. I'm just curious like how soon I should do my first oil change? And all other noob info I might not know since I am very new to riding. Any info is greatly appreciated!!! Woo Tuesday!!

antiant
May 24th, 2014, 06:35 PM
Congrats! You should get a manual with the purchase of your bike, it tells you about the scheduled maintenance. The first service is at 600 miles.

Motofool
May 24th, 2014, 09:09 PM
..........I am so freaking excited. It's all I can think about lol. I have trouble sleeping at night because of it. Any advice when I pick it up?..........

http://images.dannychoo.com/cgm/images/post/20071108/23720/73720/large/0af9b778d011b0bc269c974ded1a0d0b.jpg

Congratulations, Zak !!! :)

Singh2jz
May 25th, 2014, 03:01 AM
http://images.dannychoo.com/cgm/images/post/20071108/23720/73720/large/0af9b778d011b0bc269c974ded1a0d0b.jpg

:clapping: Best advice, ever.

lol, Congrats!!!

supernoob
May 25th, 2014, 04:40 AM
Congrats!!!! Nice pick on the ABS too my next bike will defiantly have it......

Zdolak90
May 25th, 2014, 04:58 AM
Haha that really is great advice. I don't think my gf will like sleeping in the car port under a motorcycle cover tho lol.
I was mainly asking about th oil changes for the break in because I was reading some peole were saying to run it hard and change at 100 miles blah blah. And idk which is best. I guess no one does really. It's all preference from what I read so far.

Motofool
May 25th, 2014, 08:41 AM
..........some peole were saying to run it hard and change at 100 miles blah blah. And idk which is best.........

Those some people have never designed and manufactured a good motorcycle.
Just follow the indications of the manufacturer for break-in and service and you will have a machine that will serve you well for many years to come.

What was wrong with the Buell Blast?

Zdolak90
May 25th, 2014, 08:51 AM
Ok that sounds good to me. And nothing is wrong with it. I'm just not a fan of the type of bike. I wanted a sport bike but found a good deal on the Buell. It's a good little motorcycle. Just some weird noise in the trans when it's cold. It goes away after it's warm. I just want a new bike too lol. I'm spoiling myself a little

InvisiBill
May 25th, 2014, 09:25 AM
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Do_I_really_have_to_follow_this_break-in_period%3F

Keep in mind that the same break-in warning sticker has apparently been used on every single Kawasaki, regardless of engine size or type, for decades. My '09 Ninja 500 had the same one. (http://www.invisibill.net/ninja/milessticker.jpg) That leads me to believe it's not necessarily the best advice for any one particular engine. And while it's not in the best interest of a company to sell you something that dies right away, it's also not in their best interest to sell you something that lasts forever - either way they're only getting one sale from you.

You'll notice that the "Duke" and "Motoman" methods in the link are fairly similar. Both involve loading the engine up and engine braking. The idea is to generate cylinder pressure to help the rings seat.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Oils1.html also has a section on break-in, though it's looking at it more from the oil perspective.
Also, break-in of a modern engine is completely different than break-in of an engine made before about 1980. Modern engines, by comparison to something made in the '60s, are pretty much already broken in from the factory due to the fact that today we hold much tighter machining tolerances.

I recommend you change your break-in oil at 75 to 100 miles, 100 to 150 kilometers. Your engine does shed a fair amount of metal particles in the first 20-50 miles, and I really can't understand why you would want this stuff floating around your bearings for the first 600 miles, 1000 kilometers.

I believe that you can never change the oil too often. The only thing you're losing by changing it early or more frequently is the cost of the oil. If you know you're only using it for a short break-in period, you can save some cash by getting cheaper dino oil (which generally breaks down faster than synthetic).

Zdolak90
May 25th, 2014, 10:07 AM
Ok thanks man. I read all about motomans break in. I mean it makes sense to me and so does babying it lol. I'm thinking I'm just going to ride it easy until it warms up and every now and again alike the rpms a little but not red line it for awhile. Probably going to change the oil around 120-150 miles I think

twistywrist
June 22nd, 2014, 10:43 PM
So did you get it yet?? I got my first bike last weekend, a brand new white ninja 300 se abs, and I've put 500 miles on it so far. I'm doing a hard break in so I changed the oil and filter at 25 miles. It might not be necessary, but even with a soft break in there will be metal bits in the oil so I consider it cheap insurance for only $35. That's a small price to pay for peace of mind imo.

Zdolak90
June 23rd, 2014, 05:08 AM
Oh hell yea I got it! Haha. I have about six hundred miles on it. I love it so far. Almost got run over once tho. Damn people are blind as hell! I did my oil change at like 250 miles. Looked clean as hell. I used valvoline conventional oil for this oil change. I'll be taking it to the shop for it's first service soon I think. Idk how much it'll cost tho for the first service. I'm not looking forward to spending money in it already tho. Whatever. It's necessary I suppose.

twistywrist
June 23rd, 2014, 06:36 AM
Yeah I gotta take mine in soon too. All I'm thinkin is they better do more than just an oil change... I need them to adjust the throttle cable, tighten the chain, and a couple other things I can't think of right now. I'm dreading leaving the bike with someone else for a few days =(

Zdolak90
June 23rd, 2014, 03:07 PM
Oh I know man. I don't want to go a few days without riding. I wonder how long they will need the bike. I would assume only a few hours or maybe overnight? I hope it's not that long. I can't go more than a few days without riding!! Haha. We have the exact same bike btw. I love it. Freaking PennDOT just oil and chipped my road so I haven't been on my bike since Thursday! Driving me nuts! Anyone know the average price of the first service?

JohnnyBravo
June 23rd, 2014, 08:29 PM
Oh I know man. I don't want to go a few days without riding. I wonder how long they will need the bike. I would assume only a few hours or maybe overnight? I hope it's not that long. I can't go more than a few days without riding!! Haha. We have the exact same bike btw. I love it. Freaking PennDOT just oil and chipped my road so I haven't been on my bike since Thursday! Driving me nuts! Anyone know the average price of the first service?

One of the books that came with your bike tells all what's done in the first service... An I'm sure there is at least one thread on it. They check the torque on bolts and piddle around. took them a "hour" to do mine, an someone that was hanging around the shop said they just changed the oil an waited for me to come back an pay :/

What's oiling an chipping a road?

twistywrist
June 23rd, 2014, 08:33 PM
I think I'm just gonna do the service myself... I'm worried they're just gonna change the oil and nothing else but I need to adjust my chain, clean and lube it, adjust my throttle cable, and make sure none of the fasteners are wiggling themselves out. I'm not sure I trust the techs there who told me to put only 91 octane in the bike so I get "more power" lol.

JohnnyBravo
June 23rd, 2014, 08:47 PM
It's really not that hard to find out how to do everything you wanna know... Here and YouTube :thumbup: as long as you adjust your chain straight you will be fine, an checking fasteners, nuts, an bolts isn't hard (just keep up with any you take out)

twistywrist
June 23rd, 2014, 09:22 PM
I'm no stranger to wrenching, I just haven't done work on bikes before. I'm sure most of it translates over from cars though. I'll take a crack at it later this week.

Zdolak90
June 24th, 2014, 06:09 AM
Oil and chipping is putting tar down on a road and then putting small stones on the tar. Apparently it's cheaper than putting asphalt down and gives better traction? Idk. I think it's pointless because it ****s up new cars paint. The first day you drive you get tar and stones on your car and chips of paint missing from the stones, even if you drive like an old granny! I hate it!

JohnnyBravo
June 24th, 2014, 11:35 AM
Sounds awful... Like y'all roads! I lived in honesdale for a while in 2002-2003

Zdolak90
June 24th, 2014, 11:57 AM
Oh it is terrible for about a week or two! It's ridiculous! But I'm riding today when I get home. Idc lol

salcuta88
July 23rd, 2014, 12:03 PM

:rotflmao:

Zdolak90
July 23rd, 2014, 12:55 PM
Thanks!! I'm living my bike but sometimes I do wish it had more oomph! Haha

JohnnyBravo
July 24th, 2014, 07:12 AM
Who you tryin to race???

Zdolak90
July 24th, 2014, 12:16 PM
Haha, no one. I just like the extra power when I'm commuting to and from my girlfriends place. It's about a fourth mile drive one way and I would say 32-35 are highway miles. I would just like to be able to have the power when need be without red lining my poor bike haha

capt_bugaloo
July 24th, 2014, 12:40 PM
Congrats on your new ride.

Zdolak90
July 24th, 2014, 02:46 PM
Thanks man!