View Full Version : Ninja 300 vs Buell blast?

Zdolak90
May 25th, 2014, 06:27 AM
Hey guys so many of you know I am picking up my ninja 300 this Tuesday! I currently have a 2001 Buell blast and I was curious if anyone here ever rode both. If so, which is quicker 0-60? And which is more fun to ride? I'm banking on the 300 being faster 0-60 and more fun lol. I know it will be wayyy more refined but I'm just concerned about the acceleration. :eek:

csmith12
May 25th, 2014, 06:35 AM
The difference in acceleration isn't gunna be that dramatic. Like any new ride, take some time to get to know your machine and you'll be just fine.

Zdolak90
May 25th, 2014, 06:40 AM
Thanks for the quick response. Do you know which will be quicker even if it's a minimal difference? I just didn't want to go backwards with power, ya know?

sharky nrk
May 25th, 2014, 07:30 AM
^^ they will need a different riding style I am sure to maximize the bikes potential with a low tech torque single vs the kawi need some revs twin. don't worry about power and speed at first; worry about getting comfortable.

csmith12
May 25th, 2014, 07:48 AM
If I remember, the blast is a torquey lil bike but I would be the ninja would win out about the shift to 3rd gear. Where you should really feel biggest difference is 3rd or 4th gear at 8k revs and higher.

I am interested on your take when you finally throw a leg over. :)

guambra2001
May 25th, 2014, 08:05 AM
I think the Buell has a lot of torque in comparison to the N300 but speed wise the N300 would take it. I've had the Buell before and it was a fun bike but not nearly as refined as the N300.

Zdolak90
May 25th, 2014, 08:25 AM
Thanks for all your input guys. Much appreciated! I will definitely pity two cents in after Tuesday evening when I finally get to ride my 300. I'm hoping I am happy with the acceleration in comparison with the Buell. I'm concerned because say I'm at a stop sign/traffic lift and I need to pull away from an oncoming car quickly I want to make sure I can lol. I know the torq in the blast was almost double that of the ninja but it's geared differently and everything

csmith12
May 25th, 2014, 08:31 AM
I see, you could always change the gearing on the 300 for a bit of extra low end pep at the expense of top speed for pretty cheap.

Zdolak90
May 25th, 2014, 08:49 AM
I was thinking of doing that. Bi don't really need to go over 80 ever lol. I just dunno which sprocket to change or more or less teeth lol.

csmith12
May 25th, 2014, 08:54 AM
To add acceleration pep, go smaller front or larger rear or even both.

Klondike1020
May 25th, 2014, 08:56 AM
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=177164&highlight=sprocket+change

they talk sprockets

putting a 13Tooth on the front will improve your acceleration and bring your ton speed just below 100 I am thinking.

if you do some reading and use the search function lots of people swap and they even calculate the gear ratio- speed at RPM in whichever gear …

blablablah

but ride it stock for a bit. It pulls plenty hard once you get used to it

Buell is a total turd from what I remember of it.

InvisiBill
May 25th, 2014, 09:00 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_Ninja_300
acceleration at 5.6 to 6.41 seconds from 0 to 97 km/h (0 to 60 mph)

https://thetfp.com/tfp/tilted-motors/133901-buell-blast-my-first-bike.html
The Buell Blast on the other hand, only has 500cc, but has 34hp and a 0-60 time of 7.1 seconds.

According to Wikipedia, they're both 34hp, but the Blast has nearly twice the torque (30 vs. 18 ft·lb), so the 0-60 times surprise me a bit.

Zdolak90
May 25th, 2014, 09:09 AM
Hmm. Maybe I will keep it stock for a bit and go from there. See how things are. Thanks guys!

CZroe
May 25th, 2014, 09:12 AM
I took my MSF class on a Buell Blast and if I prefer even the Ninja 250 then you will definitely prefer the Ninja 300. :)

Zdolak90
May 25th, 2014, 10:01 AM
Awesome! I'm just getting more excited now lol ... Today tomorrow and work on Tuesday... Then it'll be mine! Lol

Klondike1020
May 25th, 2014, 11:06 AM
Buell Blast)
0-60 in 7.1 sec
15.75 s @ 85 mph in the 1/4 mile

vs Ninja 250:
0-60 in 5.75 sec
14.6 s @ 88 mph

Spanking time .
The 300 is faster;)

PLEASE GO TO :45
JDsu93esQMc

alex.s
May 25th, 2014, 11:26 AM
66QbKODW8UE

Brother Michigan
May 25th, 2014, 03:04 PM
I don't believe these 7-second times for the Blast. It's geared a bit lower than the 300 overall, but not that much.

capt_bugaloo
May 25th, 2014, 03:16 PM
Poor old Buell Blast. I have always thought it was a great idea: a simple single, ideal for commuting and made in the good ol' US of A. It's the kind of bike that should have sold well and just didn't.

LittleRedNinjette
May 25th, 2014, 04:07 PM
We had a blast for a short time. I took it for a ride before we sold it.
My opinion would be my 300 is much more fun. I felt that they are close in "get up and go" but I would always pick the 300 between the two.
I will say the seating position is more comfortable for a marathon ride on the Blast.

Now my boyfriend's Lightning is another story...

Bob2010
May 25th, 2014, 05:40 PM
I like the 2010 blast the best ;)

Zdolak90
May 26th, 2014, 05:28 AM
Mines an early model 2001 lol. It's definitely a comfy ride but I won't be going on rides much longer than an hour probably ever lol.

EsrTek
May 26th, 2014, 06:26 AM
Now my boyfriend's Lightning is another story...
Now there's a bike I want to see a review on...

LittleRedNinjette
May 26th, 2014, 08:37 AM
If I could take it out I would. Is a bit too tall for me to ride myself. Maybe someday when he gets his monster... :lol:

But its a awsome bike. He'll never sell it. The most he wants to do is put a bigger motor in it.

fast1075
May 26th, 2014, 02:27 PM
How old is the Lightning? The early ones used hopped up Sportster motors in a tube steel frame "Tubers". The ones from 2003 up use the shorter/lighter/more powerful Buell version of the engine in the perimeter trademark "fuel in frame". Known as XB series.

The first models had the short stroke 900 CC version. Later came the "12" with the longer stroke engine.

The bikes came in three different chassis length and various suspension, from the short wheelbase XB9sl (lowered for short riders) to the Ulysses, whose seat comes to my armpit nearly.

Don't fool with the motor, all that will happen is it will suck money and then break something. Remember that all air cooled Buells are a spin off from a Sportster engine. An engine designed to make 45 hp. A stock Buell XB12 makes 103 at the crank. If it was a Sportster, it would be crammed full of screamin chicken parts in an attempt to make that much power. And it wouldn't make it. The Buell heads are MUCH better. :dancecool:

In any case, they are a unique bike. The XBs are a quantum leap up from the tubers. The 2003 XB was hailed by many as the best handling bike ever built.

Runs pretty good for a warmed over Briggs n Stratton.:bow:

If the bike is an 1125 that is a beast of an entirely different color. Same good stuff, WAY more power. If you can get past the pods.

Back on topic. I owned a 2006 Blast. I threw a pile of money at it. Corbin seat, lots of one off stuff. I built rearsets for it. Jardine pipe. 515 bore kit, ported head, cams, etc, etc. Was great to ride in a straight line. The single back bone frame flexed in crazy, scary ways when you pushed it in a corner. It ran "pretty good" My old PreGen would eat it up and spit it out, especially in the corners.

nickjpass
May 26th, 2014, 07:55 PM
Keep in mind that changing the sprockets to accelerate more quickly will be harder on the engine, and lower your mpg. It'll constantly rev higher too...you probably know this though...I'll stop rambling.

Zdolak90
May 27th, 2014, 03:50 AM
I honestly didn't know that. Idk much about engines I'm general lol. I just drive my car and change the oil lol. Makes sense tho. Thanks for the info!

LittleRedNinjette
May 27th, 2014, 04:24 AM
How old is the Lightning? The early ones used hopped up Sportster motors in a tube steel frame "Tubers". The ones from 2003 up use the shorter/lighter/more powerful Buell version of the engine in the perimeter trademark "fuel in frame". Known as XB series.

The first models had the short stroke 900 CC version. Later came the "12" with the longer stroke engine.

The bikes came in three different chassis length and various suspension, from the short wheelbase XB9sl (lowered for short riders) to the Ulysses, whose seat comes to my armpit nearly.

Don't fool with the motor, all that will happen is it will suck money and then break something. Remember that all air cooled Buells are a spin off from a Sportster engine. An engine designed to make 45 hp. A stock Buell XB12 makes 103 at the crank. If it was a Sportster, it would be crammed full of screamin chicken parts in an attempt to make that much power. And it wouldn't make it. The Buell heads are MUCH better. :dancecool:

In any case, they are a unique bike. The XBs are a quantum leap up from the tubers. The 2003 XB was hailed by many as the best handling bike ever built.

Runs pretty good for a warmed over Briggs n Stratton.:bow:

If the bike is an 1125 that is a beast of an entirely different color. Same good stuff, WAY more power. If you can get past the pods.

Back on topic. I owned a 2006 Blast. I threw a pile of money at it. Corbin seat, lots of one off stuff. I built rearsets for it. Jardine pipe. 515 bore kit, ported head, cams, etc, etc. Was great to ride in a straight line. The single back bone frame flexed in crazy, scary ways when you pushed it in a corner. It ran "pretty good" My old PreGen would eat it up and spit it out, especially in the corners.

Its a 2005 xb city. And he knows what he's doing with the bike.:p
Hes just looking to put the larger xb12 motor in.
He's already done alot to it. I'll see abot some pics if you want to see.
You on the xb forum?

fast1075
May 28th, 2014, 03:06 AM
If he buys an 04-07 engine will need the complete throttle body assembly along with the new engine, and either reflash the ECM or buy a race ECM from EBR. It would help to upgrade the headers also since the ones for the 9 are smaller.

And he can swap the primary drive gear and chain from the 9 to the 12 to keep the gearing the same. The 9 revs higher than the 12 so the 12 has a higher primary ratio.

Be aware that if he gets an 08+ engine (which has MUCH better crank and oiling), he will need, besides the complete engine assembly, a new wiring harness, some other component changes, and a new ecm.

Were it me, I would leave it alone and ride hell out of it. The 9 engine is far more reliable than the 12 and only gives up a little in comparison. Sadly there is nothing to be done to prevent being smoked by anyone on a 600ss if there are any straights, modified or not. Honestly modifying an air cooled Buell is not a good idea. If the cylinders wear out, go to a 1050 kit. But do not under any circumstance by a set of "plated" cylinders. They are race cylinders and have a tendency to fail for street use. Use good old iron cylinder sleeves for long life.

Lastly, if the local Hardley Ableson dealer is not Buell friendly. Call Al or Joanne at American Sportbike. They have in stock all the parts he will need. Fine folks, outstanding service.

LittleRedNinjette
May 28th, 2014, 04:30 AM
Thanks for the info but he is well aware of what he needs to do. He's a mechanic. :thumbup::D

Anyway, if you want to talk to him about it he's on buellXB.com. RestlessRustler is his user name i think. :thumbup:

Zdolak90
May 28th, 2014, 05:04 AM
Hey guys! Just an update!! I got my ninja last night. Freakin awesome! Lol. But I've only gone to 6k rpm and I can tell already I like it better than my Buell. I honestly think it is better balanced than the Buell. Easier to stay balanced when coming to a stop etc. and it's quicker in my opinion and I haven't even cracked open te throttle yet. It's hard not too lol. Either way... Just stopping in to say I love it! Well idk how to post pics here yet bit once I do I will put one up. Just a stock white ninja lol.

heyzeus
May 28th, 2014, 06:30 AM
Different bikes for different butts. I loved my blast. I miss it sometimes. I have had XB's as well. Great bikes, but I too would leave the 9 alone. It is a great motor. The 12 is good too but with some tuning the 9 more then keeps up with it. I do love Buell's. I rode with a Bueller this weekend who has probably posted pics of me on my little pre gen. She kept cracking jokes at me. I did smoke her bad going down the fast side of Palomar. She was on her CBR600. To her defense she has not been on the road in a long time.