View Full Version : Oil?

Zdolak90
May 30th, 2014, 09:52 AM
Hey guys... I'm going to change my oil and was wondering where you guys bought your oil. I'm trying to get mobile one non synthetic 10w-40. Idk if it's even made honestly lol. But I'll put anything with a good brand mom synth in my bike. I just want to get a matching oil filter. Idk if that matters at all but I would much rather buy it in person than have to pay for shipping and handling. The best thing I found was a oil change kit from amazon for 35.99. Seems expensive because I saw the Kawasaki oil was only 5.99 a qt. any ideas would be great!

fishdip
May 30th, 2014, 10:18 AM
Hey guys... I'm going to change my oil and was wondering where you guys bought your oil. I'm trying to get mobile one non synthetic 10w-40. Idk if it's even made honestly lol. But I'll put anything with a good brand mom synth in my bike. I just want to get a matching oil filter. Idk if that matters at all but I would much rather buy it in person than have to pay for shipping and handling. The best thing I found was a oil change kit from amazon for 35.99. Seems expensive because I saw the Kawasaki oil was only 5.99 a qt. any ideas would be great!

I all ways get a factory oil filter. As far as oil get what ever brand you want as long as it meats the requirements.

cbinker
May 30th, 2014, 10:20 AM
wal mart

DaBlue1
May 30th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Check your local Advance Auto Parts Store, they should have a small engine/motorcycle section.

Also see the wiki for more oil filter choices (https://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Oil_Filters).

Matching oil filter is not necessary
Mobil 1 oil filters are 1.) hard to find 2.) priced higher than the favored K&N or WIX filters

Zdolak90
May 30th, 2014, 11:15 AM
Thanks guys!

jkv45
May 30th, 2014, 11:44 AM
That doesn't exist. All Mobil oils labeled "Mobil1" are synthetic.

Mobil1 10W-40 motorcycle oil (not the regular auto oil) is fine, as is synthetic Rotella T6 5W-40 or Castrol 4T 10W-40.

For a conventional oil, Rotella T 15W-40 is a good choice. Rotella T5 10W-40 synthetic-blend is good also.

Don't use standard auto oils in the Ninja.

Zdolak90
May 30th, 2014, 12:11 PM
Alright I wasn't sure about the mobil1. Thanks for clearing that up. I was told not to run synthetic until at least 2500 miles because it's too slippery? Idk I just heard that so I'm gonna go with conventional oil until then. I definitely plan on putting motorcycle specific oil in my bike. I don't want to take any chances. And I need this bad boy to last me many many years lol.

fishdip
May 30th, 2014, 12:17 PM
Alright I wasn't sure about the mobil1. Thanks for clearing that up. I was told not to run synthetic until at least 2500 miles because it's too slippery? Idk I just heard that so I'm gonna go with conventional oil until then. I definitely plan on putting motorcycle specific oil in my bike. I don't want to take any chances. And I need this bad boy to last me many many years lol.

Yes you need to brake the bike in first with normal oil.

jkv45
May 30th, 2014, 01:53 PM
Yes you need to brake the bike in first with normal oil.
Even that's debatable...

But, at much less than 2500 mi any "break-in" that needs to be done IS done. 1000 mi should be plenty.

Full synthetic isn't really more "slippery" than conventional oil, even though it does flow better in cold temps compared to conventional of the same grade. Synthetic has a closed, more stable, molecular structure that gives it advantages in temperature extremes and resists oxidation.

Synthetic isn't going to stop break-in, but most builders suggest conventional oil initially - mostly because they want you to change the oil pretty quickly (500 mi) after a rebuild - so there's no need to use expensive oil. Running synthetic oil may have some benefits in the long-term, and especially in cold temps, but for the majority of riding in normal conditions it isn't going to make a significant difference. That said - I always use it.

Clean conventional oil is better than dirty synthetic oil for the most part, meaning trying to get extended oil changes just because you are running synthetic isn't a good trade IMO.

You are safe to use any proper cycle (or diesel, but not auto) oil you choose at this point.

JohnnyBravo
May 31st, 2014, 04:45 AM
I love the funny lil nut thingy on the end of the K&N filter... I don't like the price so much though. I'm running Rotella now, have some amsoil for my next change