View Full Version : Leather Too Hot for HOT Weather

g21-30
April 29th, 2009, 07:42 AM
This past weekend, the temp was around 89-91 degrees. It was pretty miserable with leather gear, while sitting still. Initially, I was going to order an Aerostich Roadcrafter, but after a discussion with kkim and a friend at work, I decided on mesh type gear for HOT weather.

I ordered this jacket with the upgraded back armor ($9):

http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/mesh_jackets_and_pants/first_gear/torrent_mesh_motorcycle_jacket.html

and these pants:

http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/mesh_jackets_and_pants/scorpion/deuce_mesh_motorcycle_overpants.html

The jacket is on closeout and is priced $30-40 cheaper than other outlets! :thumbup:

Snake
April 29th, 2009, 07:52 AM
As soon as the weather starts getting into the 90's I switch from a leather jacket to a mesh. Much more airflow. Much cooler.

Realirony
April 29th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Even with the weather in the 90's here and almost 100 about 2 days ago I just get to the point where its uncomfortable to ride even with mesh gear on. I have taken the liner out of my jacket, opened all the extra breeze ways and I'm still sweating on the bike some days. Brings to mind something I read either here or somewhere else..."if its too hot to wear your gear, its too hot to ride" all I can say is how true that is on some days >_o

But maybe I just need a higher quality mesh jacket seeing as mine was not the cream of the crop but still does its job.

g21-30
April 29th, 2009, 09:23 AM
As Hough states in "Proficient Motorcycling....", at 99 degrees (body temp 98.6) and above, it's better to be in non-mesh gear! The wind will dehydrate your body even more in mesh gear. :eek:

BlueTyke
April 29th, 2009, 09:31 AM
I wore my leathers all summer last year... I intend to do the same.

One switch I did make was instead of full fingered gloves I have 'fingerless'. It is also when I bring out the Camelback, frozen water (ice) in bottles, and have a good time. :D

I have textile gear but I feel more comfortable in my leathers.

Snake
April 29th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Do feel extremely hot or is it bareable?

Realirony
April 29th, 2009, 09:47 AM
As Hough states in "Proficient Motorcycling....", at 99 degrees (body temp 98.6) and above, it's better to be in non-mesh gear! The wind will dehydrate your body even more in mesh gear. :eek:

never thought of that sam. I guess it would be better to just sweat it out in a full jacket rather than a mesh and just deal with the horrid feeling after the ride with a fresh shower XD

BlueTyke
April 29th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Do feel extremely hot or is it bareable?

It only gets really unbearable when I am stopped. As I generaly go routes/rides that don't have a lot of lights/traffic I do pretty well. I sweat but it cools off when I am in motion and I rehydrate with the camelback.

talldrink
April 29th, 2009, 10:22 AM
I was out this weekend in mesh and I found it almost intolerable.

So much so, that I cut my ride short and went back home and switched to the scooter (no gear).

250Rocket
April 29th, 2009, 11:03 AM
I wore my gear in 29C degree temp 2 days ago. I sweated bullets while i waited at a light with my full leather jacket and full leather gloves.

Problem was i didn't know that area. Solution: Ride places you know are going to be open (no stop and go) or ride morning/evening and night. At 100 degrees F i wouldn't be going out near high noon, you'll roast with anything.

Kurosaki
April 29th, 2009, 11:20 AM
89-91 is not that bad. I ride in temps that high or a bit higher often.

Buy gear with vents and perforations and you'll be quite cool.

Realirony
April 29th, 2009, 11:33 AM
see, the trick is to ride REALLY REALLY fast with your arms stretched out and your jacket open...isnt that how the pros do it?
>.>
<.<

get naked for extra cooling

capt_bugaloo
April 29th, 2009, 11:48 AM
I was out this weekend in mesh and I found it almost intolerable. ... So much so, that I cut my ride short and went back home and switched to the scooter (no gear).
Eh? You wear riding gear when you're on a motorcycle - but not on a scooter? What's the difference..?

djpharoah
April 29th, 2009, 12:10 PM
I ride with leathers in that kind of heat. What I do is wet a bandana and wrap it around my neck so that when I'm riding it really cools it down. Also I have a skull cap which I drench in water.

Be warned though that you need to air dry your helmet liner daily otherwise it will smell funky.

SpyderGirl
April 29th, 2009, 12:33 PM
I plan to wear my leathers year-round. I'll just wear shorts and a tank-top only underneath. For shorter trips around town (no freeway) in the summer I got myself an Alpinestars mesh bionic jacket and Tourmaster riding jeans. But that's only because there is a lot of stop and go around town.

SpyderGirl
April 29th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Ride places you know are going to be open (no stop and go) or ride morning/evening and night. At 100 degrees F i wouldn't be going out near high noon, you'll roast with anything.

This is very good advice. I avoid going out when it's too hot, motorcycle or no motorcycle. I'm just glad it's dry heat in California as compared to the humidity I had to deal with in the mid-west.

GreezMunky
April 29th, 2009, 12:37 PM
One switch I did make was instead of full fingered gloves I have 'fingerless'. It is also when I bring out the Camelback, frozen water (ice) in bottles, and have a good time. :D

I have textile gear but I feel more comfortable in my leathers.

I am the same exact way Sunny, minus the fingerless gloves. Having a camel back helped me immensely in 95 degree weather with my leathers on.

KJohnson21
April 29th, 2009, 12:40 PM
I've lived in the desert for most of my life. The high temps average (http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/92201) over 100F for four months of the year. Fortunately, the humidity is usually low ("It's a dry heat!"), but not always.

I've always ridden throughout the year, during summer I used to count on staying hydrated and wearing a jacket with good ventilation as well as protection.

Then we found another solution a few years ago called a Phase Change Cooling Vest (http://ridecool.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/22). These work well, they can be charged fairly quickly and maintain the charge for a couple of hours, long enough to go through a whole tank of gas while driving. They actually stay cold, they do not rely on evaporation. That's a great advantage, because evaporation doesn't happen when the humidity is high. The process doesn't need the "wind" effect of motion either, so, if you're stuck in traffic or something, the vest is still cold. It's comfortable. Bulky, but comfortable.

The link above is for the last company that I bought from, but if you google "phase change vest", you'll find a few others out there.

For the petite riders, the thing to keep in mind is that the "magic" isn't the vest itself, it's the Phase Change Inserts (http://ridecool.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/22/products_id/33) that do it. So, you could create or customize a vest that fits you properly with the proper sized pockets for the inserts. Make sure that the cloth is not too thick because you want the inserts to be pressing against your skin to cool your body.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=62&pictureid=1215

Bsmith
April 29th, 2009, 12:42 PM
I wear my leathers year round. I have SP6 for winter and the Apex Air jacket and soon to be pants for summer. I've ridden as cold as 10F and as hot as 106F I think it was. I definitely subscribe to if it's to hot for gear it's too hot to ride. Oh yeah I'm in the south as well so the humidity is killer.

Realirony
April 29th, 2009, 12:47 PM
humidity sucks so much. cause when you sweat it doesnt evaporate...it just sticks to the humidity on your skin...blarg. gotta love the south, bringing you water to blanket your water. d=('-')z

paterick4o8
April 29th, 2009, 12:53 PM
89-91 is not that bad. I ride in temps that high or a bit higher often.

Buy gear with vents and perforations and you'll be quite cool.

agreed :D but I'd still stay with leather, just perforated.
I think leather will protect better anyway. Plus I'd rather sweat than bleed

Apex
April 29th, 2009, 02:17 PM
I had to upgrade. My leather has ZERO pads. So I got a joe rocket mesh jacket (http://www.joerocket.com/catalog/index.cfm/113/103/Textile_Jackets/Phoenix_5.0_Jacket) with waterproof liner. NIGHT AND DAY. I am actually more comfortable in the cooler weather with the mesh than with the leather (though for general non-riding use, the leather keeps me warmer). The wind is the killer of my leather jacket.

I paid $125 for the mesh jacket, best investment I have made so far with gear. I don't even have wind going down the back of my neck anymore.

talldrink
April 29th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Eh? You wear riding gear when you're on a motorcycle - but not on a scooter? What's the difference..?

I have greater experience on the scooter. I, therefore, have greater confidence on the scooter. I guess you can't understand.

Also, the scooter may MAX out @ 35mph.

I guess I can't explain it so.....

djpharoah
April 29th, 2009, 08:34 PM
I have greater experience on the scooter. I, therefore, have greater confidence on the scooter. I guess you can't understand.

Also, the scooter may MAX out @ 35mph.

I guess I can't explain it so.....

You can still get soe serious road rash at 35mph :rolleyes:

Apex
April 29th, 2009, 09:03 PM
I have a permanent scar on my hip from wrecking my old GS500 doing 20mph. :D

Is it weird that I'm actually proud of it? lol

talldrink
April 30th, 2009, 04:05 AM

sure can :thumbup:

BlueTyke
April 30th, 2009, 06:25 AM
I have road rash on my leg from a -5mph fall... Road Rash happens if you trip and fall while walking...

sharky nrk
April 30th, 2009, 08:34 AM
I personally wear hot weather compression wicking under armour style clothing when riding in hot weather - and cold weather base layers when cold. I find it helps tremendously

paterick4o8
April 30th, 2009, 09:06 AM
^^ yeah I wear sweat wicking material too, especially under my helmet

islanderman7
April 30th, 2009, 09:15 AM
I'm confused as to how the wicking material will help you keep cool. I mean, I have some and I wear it under my leathers but I still feel like I'm burning.

g21-30
April 30th, 2009, 02:05 PM
I ordered this jacket with the upgraded back armor ($9):

http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/mesh_jackets_and_pants/first_gear/torrent_mesh_motorcycle_jacket.html
:thumbup:

Wow...the jacket was drop shipped from PA and was waiting for me when I got home today. It is alot heavier (physical weight) than I expected. Grandchildren are here, so I can't ride today!

Purspeed
April 30th, 2009, 05:56 PM
I wear leather everything and live in So California. On hot days, the suns rays actually don't bake you directly (good thing), but it can get a bit warm. It's much cooler than I would have thought?