View Full Version : Dies and Won't restart! HELP me out

Klondike1020
June 20th, 2014, 05:01 PM
Hello

My GF has been having problems with her 300 engine dying out when she is ridding or idling at a light, and the past couple times it would not immediately restart.

When it does not Re-start / start - we push the starter button and it doesn't even turn over.

The Gauges stay active. We always put it in Neutral and kick stand down clutch pulled in.

I have been waiting to POST about it because I thought I would be able to get to the bottom of it.

But it has no rhyme or reason! it is so random! and the Starter doesn't even turn over when it is acting up!

All fuses seem good, battery terminals are fine and the symptoms are not regular enough to start diagnosing ?

Has anyone had an issue like this?

It usually restarts after several minutes of standing around, turning the key off and on and scratch your head a while.

Thanks

EMSRacer07
June 20th, 2014, 06:16 PM
fuel pump prime each time the key is in on position?

Something to look at are the sensors. Possible its getting too hot = bike turn off and not want to start up again until cooled off. Or maybe oil pressure. Or a sensor might be about to go.

jkv45
June 20th, 2014, 07:07 PM
What is the hot idle set at? Is it adjustable?

The clutch lever needs to be "in" to start it - right? If so, I'd look closely at the clutch switch.

verboten1
June 20th, 2014, 07:24 PM
Possibly safety relay type of stuff? Seems like if it was anything else the starter would still work. Try a jumper across the kickstand switch, is that doesn't change it, then try the clutch switch

Klondike1020
June 21st, 2014, 10:32 AM
It's time to start packing a multi meter in my tool kit lol

csmith12
June 21st, 2014, 11:07 AM
Really? That sucks, I hope you guys get it sorted out.

cuong-nutz
June 21st, 2014, 07:04 PM
Have you checked the battery terminal connections? They can rattle loose. What about the connections at the ecu?

Linkin
June 21st, 2014, 07:10 PM
If the bike is in neutral then you shouldn't need the clutch in or the stand down, it will start.

The only time it shouldn't start is if you're in gear and the stand is down, clutch in or out, it won't even even try to start if it's in gear and the stand is down.

You can check the kickstand/clutch sensor. Start the bike in neutral, stand down. Put the stand up, shift into 1st, and put the stand down. It should cut out straight away, and not start if you try (it won't crank the engine). Keep the clutch in the whole time.

Then pop the stand back up and try to start in 1st with the clutch in. It should at least try to start.

You need to determine if the bike is failing to start, ie cranking but not starting, or if the sensors are preventing the bike from starting

If the bike is overheating while sitting in traffic, I'd be checking fluid levels. Namely oil. My bike was running really hot and was running like crap, the oil was really low. You couldn't see any in the sight glass on the side. Ideally the oil level should be in the centre of the glass, but more doesn't hurt...

JohnnyBravo
June 21st, 2014, 08:59 PM
:wave::confused::idunno::whip: