View Full Version : How to install Rear Spools on your Kawasaki Ninja 300 Motorcycle & eBay parts review!

SON1C
June 26th, 2014, 09:01 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_28RwxMAaI

Quick video review of yet again another eBay part dilemma on these carbon fiber rear spools -quick how to install on this 2013 kawasaki ninja 300 stardust pearl white
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t1.0-9/10514730_10203234573157706_2747505245030147081_n.jpg

Here's a link to a different seller with the same part ( who offers the CORRECT bolt )
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10mm-Black-Carbon-fiber-Swingarm-Sliders-Spools-For-KAWASAKI-ZX-10R-Ninja-ZX12R-/390853152933?pt=Apparel_Merchandise&var=&hash=item5b00a9d0a5&vxp=mtr

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t1.0-9/10487418_10203234597478314_1225607175680479102_n.jpg

Other colors available as well

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t1.0-9/10409609_10203234597518315_6597085034851515801_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t1.0-9/10433999_10203234601718420_6024086832500342416_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t1.0-9/10464131_10203234601678419_1666817278068130033_n.jpg

Some of the various options, more available @ www.ebay.com

Hope this helps, thanks for viewing!

Note your rear spool thread is 10x1.25 from the factory. NOT 10x1.5

The prior eBay parts review -- ninja 300 white rear seat cowl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MU9QawpmQ

csmith12
June 26th, 2014, 09:23 AM
:werd:

InvisiBill
June 26th, 2014, 11:33 AM
Note your rear spool thread is 10x1.25 from the factory. NOT 10x1.5

I would suggest checking your own bike before ordering (either with a thread gauge or another bolt of known pitch). The 250 is "supposed to be" M10x1.25, but mine was M10x1.5 (https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?p=862598#post862598) (one guy had a mismatch between the two sides even). I bought the swingarm used off eBay, but it was a very clean part with no indications it wasn't completely factory-original.

While it may very well be specified as M10x1.25, that's something that would be very simple for Kaw to change without much fanfare. If you can personally check your own bike before ordering, it just ensures that you're getting exactly what you need, on something that's been known to be off in the past.

CZroe
June 26th, 2014, 02:20 PM
I was going to say exactly that. :)
Glad to see you were on it, Bill. :thumbup:

Klondike1020
June 26th, 2014, 02:23 PM
cry me a river. if you order some spools and the threads are wrong… go buy a couple different bolts at the hardware store?

I ordered a set for the 300- literally a random chrome set of "ninja" spools

they fit perfectly.

Hero Danny
June 26th, 2014, 06:12 PM
cry me a river. if you order some spools and the threads are wrong… go buy a couple different bolts at the hardware store?

they fit perfectly.

I can sort of see why he was mad, I mean, if the ad claims they fit perfectly for the ninja 300 and they don't fit. Then that is false advertisement. And that IS annoying.

EsrTek
June 26th, 2014, 08:11 PM
Good review, not sure that kind of install really needs a video.
However, if going to make it, do it right.... you forgot to add loctite to that so it doesn't back out.

SON1C
June 26th, 2014, 08:38 PM
I would suggest checking your own bike before ordering (either with a thread gauge or another bolt of known pitch). The 250 is "supposed to be" M10x1.25, but mine was M10x1.5 (https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?p=862598#post862598) (one guy had a mismatch between the two sides even). I bought the swingarm used off eBay, but it was a very clean part with no indications it wasn't completely factory-original.

While it may very well be specified as M10x1.25, that's something that would be very simple for Kaw to change without much fanfare. If you can personally check your own bike before ordering, it just ensures that you're getting exactly what you need, on something that's been known to be off in the past.
Sure you're right. It seemed so simple and the seller listed it as literally a ninja 300 rear spools slider set. With that said there should have no reason why it didn't fit. I'm just sharing my experience.

they fit perfectly.
Why do you need to be rude and condescending?
I ordered a part specified for my bike, and it wasn't. I went to ace hardware, I went to lowes, and I went to home depot, and this other off shop that was supposed to have odd bolts. No one had m10s with 1.25 pitch
Glad it worked it better for you.
I can sort of see why he was mad, I mean, if the ad claims they fit perfectly for the ninja 300 and they don't fit. Then that is false advertisement. And that IS annoying.
Thanks Danny lol
Good review, not sure that kind of install really needs a video.
However, if going to make it, do it right.... you forgot to add loctite to that so it doesn't back out.
Thank you. I was doing the review and the install is so quick and simple I figured why not add it. Experienced guys like you take for granted the noob diy with no guidance. Maybe it'll help some guy out there somewhere. It only took a few minutes of my time and I hope it helps someone out.

Using loctite is a choice it's not required. That does not make it wrong, granted using loctite is certainly an idea if you're dead set on the spools you have.

CZroe
June 26th, 2014, 08:55 PM
I actually lost a slider spool on the road and the eBay seller no longer sold that style. :(

I still have the remaining spool lying around. Don't know what to do with it!

Klondike1020
June 27th, 2014, 12:00 AM
Sincerely sorry. I probably had a hanger moment.

Looking back at my previous post
I was a bit douschy

- I usually find the bolts at ace hardware

My advice - chrome spools next time

Shiney adds hp

Just sayin

Klondike1020
June 27th, 2014, 12:02 AM
I actually lost a slider spool on the road and the eBay seller no longer sold that style. :(

A lone spool! Put it on a shelf in a seldom seen place.

Some day you will look at a project an think"that spool would work perfectly"

The tricky part is remembering where the random bits are kept lol

Worst case scenario it would make a trick knob on a drawer

Klondike1020
June 27th, 2014, 12:12 AM
So when I was watching your video

I was thinking if you are showing your audience how to install the spools you might want to show them how to place the bike off and on a rear stand.

- I wanted to ask if the carbon fiber is actual cf or is it printed ?

SON1C
June 27th, 2014, 04:53 PM

pic?
Sincerely sorry. I probably had a hanger moment.

Looking back at my previous post
I was a bit douschy

- I usually find the bolts at ace hardware

My advice - chrome spools next time

Shiney adds hp

Just sayin
appreciate the apology. no worries
lol how many hp though? ;)
my theme is just black white and carbon fiber, going to put on white wheels once I wear these tires out
A lone spool! Put it on a shelf in a seldom seen place.

Some day you will look at a project an think"that spool would work perfectly"

The tricky part is remembering where the random bits are kept lol

Worst case scenario it would make a trick knob on a drawer
^^ yeah make it a knob lol
So when I was watching your video

I was thinking if you are showing your audience how to install the spools you might want to show them how to place the bike off and on a rear stand.

- I wanted to ask if the carbon fiber is actual cf or is it printed ?

That's a good point, maybe I'll just make a simple follow up video showing, I'll show the easy two person method and the balance my bike with one hand hope I don't drop it 1 man method lol

it's a real carbon fiber strip, if that makes sense. you can rotate it with enough pressure

Klondike1020
June 27th, 2014, 05:21 PM
That's a good point, maybe I'll just make a simple follow up video showing, I'll show the easy two person method and the balance my bike with one hand hope I don't drop it 1 man method lol
it's a real carbon fiber strip, if that makes sense. you can rotate it with enough pressure[/QUOTE]

I was thinking maybe they cut a piece of CF tube and use it to make those rings on the spools- I was going to get the same spools but I was worried it would be some sloppy sticker so I ordered a set of Chrome ZXR spools and I actually got them cheaper on Amazon than ebay after my free shipping with prime.

I am able to put my GSXR off and on the stand solo without any trouble. I used to try a bunch of stupid ways to put it off and on the stand but I finally just did it nice and slow and it works perfect.

Practice and you will never be worried about dropping it! also preparation is important, clean dry floor, double check the kick stand.

1. grab bike by kick stand side passenger peg mount and gently tip it up off of stand while lining the rear stand yokes up with the spools.
2. once both yokes are on both spools push down firmly to balance bike as I let go of passenger peg mount
3. Push down firmly and in a controlled manner until bike is safely balance on rear stand.
4. Not necessary but I like to put a live strong style band looped around the front break lever and pull it around the throttle and back to the lever to act as a parking break if I am going to be jerking the bike around at all while I work on it.

To take it down

1. Put Kick stand down and make sure it is locked in place! Remove rubber band if it is in place as a parking break.
2. Grab passenger peg mount/perch with left hand and the farthest out on the rear stand with Right hand.
3. Lift slowly and in a controlled way the rear stand not allowing it to flop out. If you have a problem with the stand rolling out to easily leave the front break rubber banded and hold the rear stand with an assertive force so that only the stand rolls and you control the rate at which it moves. As it lowers the bike gently pull the bike to lean onto the Kick Stand as the rear stand yokes separate from the spools when the rear tire touches the ground.
4. Put Rear stand away so no one trips on it or scratches fairings

I have never had a problem with my GFs 300 (its a bit top heavy compared to my GSXR)

Friendly advice- Your videos are good but in order to make a more professional tone take a minute and rehearse before you record as it seems a little rushed or ad lib. maybe compartmentalize the things you are going to discuss.

I wish I had the ambition to start a you tube channel of all the stuff I have worked on, I am not photogenic and I hate my voice on video lol

CZroe
June 27th, 2014, 08:15 PM
pic?

Sure, if I can get to it on my day off.

...l

It would also be a good place to mention that the rear should always be lifted/secured before lifting the front and should remain secured until the front is lowered. Seen a few near catastrophes from people who didn't follow this!