View Full Version : Grinding Foot Pegs

jonb08
May 3rd, 2009, 11:46 AM
Yesterday, after a nice ride through some twisty backroads, I was heading home on the parkway and I took my favorite off ramp a bit quicker and with more determination to drag knee and take it faster. I read an article which helped with my technique on taking the turn. I set up for the right turn: got my right butt off the seat, stayed loose, and cut that turn like never before while attempting to kiss my rearview mirror, keep my shoulders into the turn, left forearm on the tank and WHAT HAPPENS AT THE APEX??? My knee didn't touch the ground but damn peg did! The bike didn't seem to really enjoy it so I stopped twisting the wrist and picked up the bike more. Not cool...

Speaking from experience: Has anyone touched knee with the stock rearsets or am I going to have to change these? Is it even worth it? Should I just go ZX-6R?

Grn99Kawi
May 3rd, 2009, 11:55 AM
Off topic: I assume this was the northern state? I didn't even think of lookin at the bike in this weather.. lol..

sorry I can't help you on the tech q.

Adam

jonb08
May 3rd, 2009, 11:57 AM
Off topic: I assume this was the northern state? I didn't even think of lookin at the bike in this weather.. lol..

sorry I can't help you on the tech q.

Adam

Yep. Northern State Lakeville Rd S. Exit. We should ride some time

Viper-Byte
May 3rd, 2009, 05:16 PM
I too have been trying to drag a knee, unsuccessful so far, but if feels like the pegs will drag first... I have just ordered some Woodcraft clip-ons and Rearsets :D

jonb08
May 3rd, 2009, 05:18 PM
I too have been trying to drag a knee, unsuccessful so far, but if feels like the pegs will drag first... I have just ordered some Woodcraft clip-ons and Rearsets :D

The 08-09 might have less of a clearance issue. Trying to see about the pre 08's. Good luck with putting those on. Post up some pics when your finished.

Viper-Byte
May 3rd, 2009, 05:20 PM
Ah, True, I missed that detail! :o

I will be sure to post pics :D

Grn99Kawi
May 4th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Yep. Northern State Lakeville Rd S. Exit. We should ride some time

I work right near you actually.. Albertson/Williston Park area..

jonb08
May 5th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Well I've been given the answer by the guy who made this video. He said that as long as remove the feelers on the pegs and remove the centerstand, I'll be good to go for dragging knee. Here is his great video showcasing our bike's as their riders drag knee.

Xgty66Sim7I

Apex
May 5th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Well I've been given the answer by the guy who made this video. He said that as long as remove the feelers on the pegs and remove the centerstand, I'll be good to go for dragging knee. Here is his great video showcasing our bike's as their riders drag knee.

Xgty66Sim7I
I wouldn't fully remove the feelers for the pegs...unless you'd rather have to buy new pegs every now and again. I'd just remove the center stand and get a shorter feeler, short as in 1/4" long, if that. :D

Quiks66
May 10th, 2009, 11:22 AM
I wouldn't fully remove the feelers for the pegs...unless you'd rather have to buy new pegs every now and again. I'd just remove the center stand and get a shorter feeler, short as in 1/4" long, if that. :D

Go ahead and take the feelers off. The pegs can and will scrape, but you won't need to replace them for a long time, not really something to be concerned with. It's possible to drag knee on the pre-gens with the right form. On the track I can drag knee if I want to...for pictures ;)

But really, I don't drag knee on the track on purpose. When you become faster it will just happen. Raising the pegs up will help give a little more clearance. Some of the faster guys I know don't drag knee unless they have to. With these little bikes it's not a big deal.

BTW try to save the knee dragging for the track. You're taking huge risks trying to do that stuff on public roadways.

jonb08
May 10th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Thanks for all the good advise. The point for me is always to get faster with better form. I keep my aggressiveness primarily restricted to off ramps that won't have me sliding into traffic and backroads during low traffic times. The track is very expensive and so is time. I don't mean to put a price on it, but sometimes you got to make best with what you have and exercise caution. On that note, feelers will come off tonight or tomorrow. Thanks again for everyone's advise.

Jon
Posted via Mobile Device

kkim
May 10th, 2009, 02:22 PM
BTW try to save the knee dragging for the track. You're taking huge risks trying to do that stuff on public roadways.

agree with you 110%!!

Apex
May 10th, 2009, 04:14 PM
agree with you 110%!!
Yup, at least keep it 2" off the ground.

lol j/k :D

2WheelGuy
June 17th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Stock pegs are fine with good suspension. If you are going fast enough to drag your pegs it is time to look into suspension upgrades.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z193/Chester1469/250%20Track/MF1A1292.jpg

Also, look into doing track days. Going that fast on the street isn't going to end well.

TnNinjaGirl
June 17th, 2009, 06:57 PM
On a stock 09' with aftermarket foot pegs you can get a knee down. More often than not I catch my toe slider first, though. That is due to bad technique from what I'm told. Apparently I twist my ankle instead of my hips which is what causes that. Tighten up your technique a little and see where it takes you.

Be careful. Getting close/dragging hard parts is dangerous. By getting rear sets all you are doing is creating a potential problem far worse than grinding pegs. The next thing up is the kickstand I think. I'd much rather grind a peg, or a toe than a kickstand. Maybe try practicing in a large parking lot. I can't say anything about not dragging on public roads, because I try to all the time (on the Dragon ONLY). Be safe and good luck.