View Full Version : Anyone have a Scottoiler?

Ninjette Newsbot
November 30th, 2008, 06:31 PM
One of the first installations on the new BMW F800GS.

Click here for full story... (http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/scottoiler/)

zail
May 4th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Just found they do a model for the Fi 08/09 models:

http://www.scottoiler.com/SuitableKits/Kawasaki/Ninja%20250R%20Fi%20%282008%20onwards%29/Scottoiler+vSystem

Does anyone have this or have any views on this for the newgen ninja? Know plenty of people who have them on bigger bikes and my neighbour was praising the one he fitted to his R1 yesterday which is what prompted me to look... Any experiences/ views welcome :)

SteveL
May 4th, 2009, 02:10 AM
I have a friend with one on his ZZR 1400 claims that on big bikes it lengthens the life of the chain by up to three times.

Steve

TonyKZ1
May 4th, 2009, 11:03 AM
I've got one on my '89 Ninja 250. You don't need a specific one for your bike, as it's pretty much a universal installation. Mount the oil container, run the oil line to the rear wheel, then just one connection to a vacuum line. Actually there's a little more to it than that, but that's the quick version. They also have a model with a electric pump on it now, along side the model I've got. It works good for me, my rear wheel turns easily, my chain stays lubricated and lasts a long time.
Tony

capt_bugaloo
May 4th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Yeah, but geez:
Scottoiler vSystem (Item #: SO-1005)
Add to order £84.95
Shipping is an additional £22. According to xe.com, £107 = $160.53 US.

Seems kind of pricey to me...

Cali619
May 4th, 2009, 01:25 PM
looks like a nifty doohickey. Ive never seen em before, I have to manually lube my chain about every 300 miles or so.

zail
May 4th, 2009, 02:09 PM

Lol.. yeah but having spent £90 on tail tidy, £160 on crash protectors, £60 on hugger not to mention bubble screen, exhaust hanger, mirror extenders etc £107 seems a drop in the ocean in a way - esp as it's a practical not a farkle thing! :D

Alex
May 4th, 2009, 02:10 PM
esp as it's a practical not a farkle thing! :D

Farkles can be practical! :) They just don't help the bike actually do anything faster. :thumbup:

zail
May 4th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Farkles can be practical! :) They just don't help the bike actually do anything faster. :thumbup:

Ah.. thanks for clarifying that Alex!!!! :D

Strider
May 4th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Yeah, but geez:

Shipping is an additional £22. According to xe.com, £107 = $160.53 US.

Actually, it's not too bad if you consider the price of a new chain ...

ninja man
March 2nd, 2010, 02:57 PM
i have just fitted a scottoiler very simple to fit , had to put the reservoir under the pillion seat next to tool kit ...has anyone else fitted a scottoiler ..
fantastic bit of kit :thumbup:

kylerwhite
March 2nd, 2010, 03:41 PM
Never heard of this till now... seems pretty cool. Any pictures?

ninja man
March 3rd, 2010, 05:59 AM
will take pic . dont you have them over there :confused: extends chain life and keeps it lubricated up , fit them to all my bikes :thumbup:

karlosdajackal
March 3rd, 2010, 06:25 AM
Can't wait to see pics, I want one too. The recent weather/salt combo has hammered my chain even though I'm getting less than 100miles without having to clean and re-lube it.

Do you mind if I ask how much it was and from where you got it? I know they have a basic one and then another with 2 jets? that oils both sides of the chain which seems like what you would want. Did you have to drill any holes?

Thanks in advance :thumbup:

ninja man
March 3rd, 2010, 08:18 AM
got my oiler from scottoiler direct . cost me £80ish last year .

karlosdajackal
March 3rd, 2010, 09:01 AM
Cool stuff, i found they have ninja 250 install instructions for the old one and the e system on their site, this is the link for install of E on a fuel injected ninja. I think I might pick one up as at the moment every time I think about getting on the bike I think about all that maintenance work.

http://www.scottoiler.com/pdf/Kawasaki_Ninja%20250R%20Fi%20%282008%20onwards%29_Scottoiler%20eSystem%20%28the% 20electronic%20Scottoiler%29%20_English16-9-2009.pdf

It sure would be nice to be able to look after the chain simply by going for a ride more often :cool: Its seems a bit pricey but I think its better to be out of pocket a bit and using the bike, then have a few hundred bucks and not use the bike.

Momaru
March 3rd, 2010, 09:56 AM
From their product page for the 250
The kit gives a range of approximately 400 - 800 miles between refills of the RMV (Reservoir Metering Valve), depending on the flow setting
Am I reading that right? Seems like you need to fill the reservoir about as often as you'd need to lube the chain anyway, which defeats the whole purpose to me...

Karl, something you might also consider is a product called Corrosion-X, mentioned here
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35280 and in a couple other similar threads. Alex claims it works very well. I know your pain though; the lingering snow and road salt has done bad things to my chain as well.

ninja man
March 3rd, 2010, 01:48 PM
on my other bikes i have to fill the reservoir every 6 to 7,000miles, and only need to adjust the chain every 5,000miles ,on my zrx12 the chain has never needed to be adjusted yet and its done 10,000miles ...
plus the chain will last longer ,only need to keep an eye on the sprockets ..

karlosdajackal
March 4th, 2010, 01:08 AM
From their product page for the 250

Am I reading that right? Seems like you need to fill the reservoir about as often as you'd need to lube the chain anyway, which defeats the whole purpose to me...

Karl, something you might also consider is a product called Corrosion-X, mentioned here
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35280 and in a couple other similar threads. Alex claims it works very well. I know your pain though; the lingering snow and road salt has done bad things to my chain as well.

Yea but think about what you have to do every 600miles (every 100miles for me at the moment with the current state of the roads)

Scotoiler - lift rear seat, refill, put seat back on.
Normal - put the bike on rear stands, remove chain guard, get a couple of rags and a toothbrush, clean chain using whatever you like that cost about the same as the replacement oil for the scotoiler, drive a mile to warm up the chain, put on your chain wax, let it dry, clean your tires as you probably got some wax on them, let them dry.

I will check out the corrosion X if its available over here, i noticed cleaning the chain yesterday that I have some surface rust on some nuts, bolts, underside of the chrome exhaust. That sucks when I've been cleaning and drying the bike every week and it still is getting hammered by the elements :eek: it put me off riding at the moment.

Mr.E
May 2nd, 2011, 08:51 PM
Hey everyone. So some may know, some may not know, I one day aspire to be a motorcycle vlogger, and I'm always watching Vloggs and my favorite Vlogger is M13. If anyones seen his recent videos he just got a new bike mod called a Scottoiler. Its a great tool it seems. It automatically oils your chain and save you time. They claim to max ur chain and sprockets life up to 7 times! Heres the 3 videos he talks about them.

This is where he first talks about it.
psEpnqZUMgY

This is the installation and what it looks like and some description.
jk2vCqD8v58

Just last talk. The beggining skips back on purpose. pay no mind.
H_EkvVMhHZ4

Its not popular in america, but apparently over in the UK and all like 1 out of 10 bikers have one. It seems great. Once I get a bike you can bet ima get this for one of my first mods. I believe in the second vid he actually posts a link in the discription to the scottoiler site.

Cazper
May 3rd, 2011, 09:30 AM
I've heard of this product... here is my comment or concern with it. You are constantly putting oil on the chain which is then flinging it all over the rim and tire... does this not sound somewhat dangerous or at least messy to anyone else? I know after I cleaned and lubed my chain I was cleaning up the "flingage" for days... I couldn't imagine always having chain lube all over the rear of the bike.

WOTurtle
May 3rd, 2011, 09:33 AM
I've heard of this product... here is my comment or concern with it. You are constantly putting oil on the chain which is then flinging it all over the rim and tire... does this not sound somewhat dangerous or at least messy to anyone else? I know after I cleaned and lubed my chain I was cleaning up the "flingage" for days... I couldn't imagine always having chain lube all over the rear of the bike.

x2

CC Cowboy
May 3rd, 2011, 10:13 AM
I watched the first minute of the first video.

Where in Florida is that? There are tons of bikes and scooters?

kevinlo423
May 3rd, 2011, 11:36 AM

that's not in Florida. It's in Taiwan actually..where I'm from :D but I live in Seattle

Cazper
May 3rd, 2011, 11:36 AM

Not Florida... try Taiwan :thumbup:

lol...Kevin and I posted at the same time... what a coincidence :thumbup:

rockNroll
May 3rd, 2011, 11:42 AM
Automatic chain lube? :rolleyes: When you're down there lubing up your chain you're also down there eyeballing stuff, perhaps finding problems that need addressing/adjusting?

Green Streak
May 3rd, 2011, 12:35 PM
I have never seen one before this, but I found this on a busa site I was reading. They claim no mess when you have it set correctly. They also mention ramping it up during the rain. Looking at the site, they put the drip tube on the lower edge of the sprocket, I imagine that is so that any that does fling off will be flung backwards. Looks pretty good to me. The vacuum is cheaper at around $130. They claim up to 7x the chain/sprocket life, than without it. But that probably means if you never lube your chain you would get 7x, but if you do, who knows. But even 2x or 3x chain/sprocket life would pay for itself relatively quickly.

http://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-discussion/39259-anyone-ever-tried-scottoiler.html

Mr.E
May 3rd, 2011, 01:33 PM
I have never seen one before this, but I found this on a busa site I was reading. They claim no mess when you have it set correctly. They also mention ramping it up during the rain. Looking at the site, they put the drip tube on the lower edge of the sprocket, I imagine that is so that any that does fling off will be flung backwards. Looks pretty good to me. The vacuum is cheaper at around $130. They claim up to 7x the life without it. But that probably means if you never lube your chain you would get 7x, but if you do, who knows. But even 2x or 3x would pay for itself relatively quickly.

http://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-discussion/39259-anyone-ever-tried-scottoiler.html

:whathesaid:

It actually has to have great quality if 1 out of 10 bikers in the Uk have one. Im sure if it were a mess people wouldnt even bother. If you watch the 2nd video its a better explaination and it shows the device set up and what not.

kkim
May 3rd, 2011, 01:44 PM
buy one and let us know how it works for you. :)

If you travel great distances at a time, I can maybe see a benefit of having one, but I've heard they are messy as well and really, what do you gain over cleaning and lubing the chain yourself? If you are like most of us that use the bike for less than 400 miles per ride, I would just clean and lube the chain according to the maintenance interval, which is to lube it every 400 miles.

ztrack157
May 3rd, 2011, 01:48 PM
I can imagine someone bringing a bike to the track for a track day and forgetting not to disconnect it.

mrlmd
May 3rd, 2011, 02:25 PM
That thing is what some used to call "technology in search of a disease". Does it really need to exist? Does it serve any irreplaceable or useful purpose? Is it worth the expense?
Dupont Teflon Spray Lube. Much better and cleaner and cheaper by a long shot.

Green Streak
May 3rd, 2011, 04:28 PM
buy one and let us know how it works for you. :)

I am going to buy the vacuum style and see how it goes.

If you travel great distances at a time, I can maybe see a benefit of having one, but I've heard they are messy as well and really, what do you gain over cleaning and lubing the chain yourself? If you are like most of us that use the bike for less than 400 miles per ride, I would just clean and lube the chain according to the maintenance interval, which is to lube it every 400 miles.

I read on their site that they don't use the sticky compounds like the chain lube that I use now. Talk about a mess... I live on a sandy, dirt road and the sand just sticks all over the chain. If this keeps me from having to spray off my chain after every ride it will be worth it for me.

kkim
May 3rd, 2011, 04:33 PM
I read on their site that they don't use the sticky compounds like the chain lube that I use now. Talk about a mess... I live on a sandy, dirt road and the sand just sticks all over the chain. If this keeps me from having to spray off my chain after every ride it will be worth it for me.

lol... change chain lubes? :D

have you tried the stuff suggested by mrlmd? it works great and does not have a sticky residue like your normal petroleum based lubes.

CC Cowboy
May 3rd, 2011, 05:35 PM
So Taiwan is near Seattle? They have a lot of bikes there. It looks like a nice place. They must have a big Chinatown, looks like chinese writing on the road.

NickH
May 3rd, 2011, 06:12 PM
I wonder if the yellow bike knows what his plate means...

Nick

Mr.E
May 3rd, 2011, 06:28 PM
So Taiwan is near Seattle? They have a lot of bikes there. It looks like a nice place. They must have a big Chinatown, looks like chinese writing on the road.

:boink: Taiwan is near... china... Its an island.

Green Streak
May 3rd, 2011, 07:17 PM
lol... change chain lubes? :D

have you tried the stuff suggested by mrlmd? it works great and does not have a sticky residue like your normal petroleum based lubes.

Thanks kkim. I searched and found what mrlmd was talking about (Dupont Teflon Spray Lube). There is a review of it here... (for those like myself that weren't aware of it)

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/dupont-teflon-chain-lube.htm

I already use a wax lube but this one looks better. I'll give it a shot first. If that works without attracting all the sand, then I won't need to spend my $130 on this.

kevinlo423
May 4th, 2011, 12:52 AM
:boink: Taiwan is near... china... Its an island.

+1

it's on the other side of north america. I'm just in Seattle for university:p

mrlmd
May 4th, 2011, 05:40 AM
No sand or anything sticks to that Dupont Teflon Lube or to the chain. There is no mess. Clean your chain of all that oily stuff you have on it, then just spray it on every once in a while per your usual routine. It takes only maybe a minute and it works great. No followup cleanups with kerosene and other stuff later. Just spray it again.
You can get it at Lowe's, Home Depot, Walmart, just about any hardware store, in a blue spray can, with a straw to more closely direct the spray or liquid that comes out.

CC Cowboy
May 4th, 2011, 08:14 AM
+1

it's on the other side of north america. I'm just in Seattle for university:p

Which side is the other side? If you are in Seattle the other side would be New York? There is an island there but it's called Long Island not Taiwan!

kevinlo423
May 4th, 2011, 03:59 PM
I believe new york is also in north america? Taiwan is beside China

CC Cowboy
May 5th, 2011, 06:41 AM
I believe new york is also in north america? Taiwan is beside China

Yes, New York is in North America and they have a Chinatown, so I take it Taiwan is beside Chinatown in New York. I'll have to visit it next time I'm in the city. Do they speak English there, or New Yorkese?

SteveL
May 5th, 2011, 07:22 AM
“here is my comment or concern with it. You are constantly putting oil on the chain which is then flinging it all over the rim and tire... does this not sound somewhat dangerous or at least messy to anyone else? I know after I cleaned and lubed my chain I was cleaning up the "flingage" for days... I couldn't imagine always having chain lube all over the rear of the bike.”

The oil used is 140 so very thick and you adjust the quantity to just a few drops per minute, so oil being sprayed about does not happen not in UK anyway not hot enough. It may become an issue with temperatures over 35˚C but you could go to thicker oil.

Steve

KwackAttack
June 12th, 2011, 07:45 AM
I just bought my ninja yesterday after being on an NSR for about a year and a half. I was thinking of getting the standard one because its much cheaper. How are they to adjust the flow rate of the oil, is it easy enough to get right. I know the standard ones work off vacuum pressure from the engine so does that make it harder to set up.

Ninjette Newsbot
August 11th, 2011, 08:20 AM
New oiler is the first of its kind to meet strict California requirements.

Click here for full story... (http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/scottoiler/scottoiler-vsystem-carb-eo.htm)

Ninjette Newsbot
December 13th, 2011, 07:20 AM
New CARB-approved system is easy to install and uses no electricity.

Click here for full story... (http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/scottoiler/california-spec/)

gazmanj
April 8th, 2012, 09:54 AM
i have just fitted a scottoiler very simple to fit , had to put the reservoir under the pillion seat next to tool kit ...has anyone else fitted a scottoiler ..
fantastic bit of kit :thumbup:
Hey all. New to the forum but need some assistance.

Fitting a vSystem ScottOiler to my 2010 Ninja 250R but I appear to be stuck on the first step. I can't get the rubber bung off the vacuum spigot :( Am I missing something obvious?

I've tried for hours from each side but the damn thing won't budge and I can't get any leverage on it.

Input welcome and appreciated.

KwackAttack
April 10th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Hey all. New to the forum but need some assistance.

Fitting a vSystem ScottOiler to my 2010 Ninja 250R but I appear to be stuck on the first step. I can't get the rubber bung off the vacuum spigot :( Am I missing something obvious?

I've tried for hours from each side but the damn thing won't budge and I can't get any leverage on it.

Input welcome and appreciated.

I found I had to take the left side faring off to get a long screwdriver in to pop it off. To put the scottoiler connector on I then taped it to the long screw driver so I could get it on and then cut the tape off.

Took a bit of fiddling but I found it the easiest way. Getting the fairing off is easy enough but getting it fitted back on properly is hard.

gazmanj
April 11th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Cheers for the info. I'll report back after the weekend.

cuz
April 11th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Never heard of this till now... seems pretty cool. Any pictures?

M13 ring a bell???

gazmanj
May 28th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Finally got it sorted a few weeks ago - with the help of a long screwdriver to pry off the bung, and a helping hand from my dad (always the way to solve a DIY problem).

For those not wanting to take the spindle off - daunting - you can get a 10mm adaptor from Scottoiler, and with a paddock stand bolt holding it in place it all comes together quite well ...http://i.imgur.com/JFTCA.jpg

Falcor
February 4th, 2013, 10:40 AM
I was browsing reddit and came across this interesting product that automatically lubes your chain as needed giving you the best performance at all times and longer lifetime for your chain and sprockets.

I might consider purchasing this for my next bike.

http://www.scottoiler.com/us/Kits/Scottoiler-eSystem-Electronic-Chain-Oiler/flypage.tpl.html

cuong-nutz
February 4th, 2013, 10:45 AM
Fancy Farkle. I'll just stick to my little bottle of lube. How lazy can you be.

Falcor
February 4th, 2013, 10:48 AM
How lazy can you be.

Very, especially since I commute on a bike. The benefit of having consistent lubrication at all times sounds nice to me too.

allanoue
February 4th, 2013, 10:55 AM
himynameisjoe has one on his bike

cuong-nutz
February 4th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Very, especially since I commute on a bike. The benefit of having consistent lubrication at all times sounds nice to me too.

Yeah, it's pretty nifty and convenient but you're still going to have to clean the chain.

Falcor
February 4th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Yeah, it's pretty nifty and convenient but you're still going to have to clean the chain.

I think if it's always freshly lubricated the frequency that you would be required to clean it to keep everything working smoothly would be less since the lube stays lubricated instead of gunking up. Or would it still gunk up just as much over time?

Motofool
February 4th, 2013, 12:11 PM
I might consider purchasing this for my next bike.

http://www.scottoiler.com/us/Kits/Scottoiler-eSystem-Electronic-Chain-Oiler/flypage.tpl.html

That one is the best in the market so far.

Check these opinions:

http://forums.ninja250.org/posting.php?mode=topicreview&t=84878&tro=1

Joshorilla
February 4th, 2013, 12:16 PM
I like mine, so long as you have oil in the reservoir your chain will look brand new.

No cleaning required so long as you have oil and you ride.

They've been proven by time here, lots of people have them, and they are a respected well known product here. The only reason everyone doesn't have them is because they cost a lot, and they require tricky fitting, although the new ones you just plug into the electrics.

Falcor
February 4th, 2013, 12:17 PM
I like mine, so long as you have oil in the reservoir your chain will look brand new.

No cleaning required so long as you have oil and you ride.

That's what I figured it would do as far as cleaning goes too!

Bigballsofpaint
February 4th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Only thing you need to remember is checking your chain slack ;). Ill be getting the scottoiler for the 1000 since i use it to tour and i can rack up 500miles in a day on some of the trips im planning.

alex.s
February 4th, 2013, 12:45 PM
seems nice for a pure street bike. but i'm paranoid about everything on my race bike and i'm pretty sure these would not be legal for track use anyway

Falcor
February 4th, 2013, 12:47 PM
Some of their pictures it looks like they might be on the track. Couldn't hurt to ask whoever is in charge of those regulations?

ninjamunky85
February 4th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Look at the pics on their website. They are definitely showing a track only bike on there with this system installed.

oblivion007
February 4th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Been wanting since I saw it on one of m13's vlogs. But it be spensive.

Alex
February 4th, 2013, 01:06 PM
/merged a few scottoiler threads together

Joshorilla
February 4th, 2013, 01:26 PM
It's interesting to see how eveyone in the states are coming across scottoilers since they pushed into the americas recently.

Seems to be a mixture of doubt, disbelief, amazement, confusion, denial, enthusiasm and excitement.

They've sold in britain for years, proven and established.

lgk
February 4th, 2013, 01:54 PM
seems nice for a pure street bike. but i'm paranoid about everything on my race bike and i'm pretty sure these would not be legal for track use anyway

can't imagine how slippery the track would be if a couple hundred riders had these

Bigballsofpaint
February 4th, 2013, 01:59 PM
it drops 1 drop on your chain every minute....so i dont think it would turn the track into a slip n slide by any means. You can change the amount of drips per minute but thats the typical setting.

Falcor
February 4th, 2013, 02:00 PM
it drops 1 drop on your chain every minute....so i dont think it would turn the track into a slip n slide by any means. You can change the amount of drips per minute but thats the typical setting.

But what if someone crashes, does it have high durability to keep itself from bursting all over the track?

Bigballsofpaint
February 4th, 2013, 02:23 PM
But what if someone crashes, does it have high durability to keep itself from bursting all over the track?

Unless your swingarm gets ripped off i dont see why it wouldnt hold up. Its a rubber hose just like your fuel lines, as long as you route it a decent way it should be fine. Its not at a high pressure or anything, the style without the digital display works off vacuum and gravity.

I dont have it yet so i cant tell you for sure, but like a few posters have said, this is a normal things overseas where they use their bikes for more than liesure. I think these type of things got a bad reputation in the US from the really old bikes that had built in oilers being very messy.

Falcor
February 4th, 2013, 02:25 PM
... I think these type of things got a bad reputation in the US from the really old bikes that had built in oilers being very messy.

Well I mean what do you expect, we're messy Americans. ;D

alex.s
February 4th, 2013, 03:17 PM
i'm fairly confident you would not be allowed on a race track with something actively leaking oil. regardless of whether its intentional or not.

allanoue
February 4th, 2013, 04:50 PM
i'm fairly confident you would not be allowed on a race track with something actively leaking oil. regardless of whether its intentional or not.

Sooo your guessing, with confidants?

alex.s
February 4th, 2013, 05:05 PM
Sooo your guessing, with confidants?

http://www.cvmaracing.com/uploads/CVMA_Rulebook.pdf

you will be black flagged if your bike is leaking any fluids. the bodywork rules also state the belly pan must contain all of the bikes oil and coolant.

Falcor
February 4th, 2013, 05:14 PM
Hmm, weird that they allow them overseas on tracks but not by your rule book here in the US.

alex.s
February 4th, 2013, 05:15 PM
Hmm, weird that they allow them overseas on tracks but not by your rule book here in the US.

according to who?

himynameisjoe
February 4th, 2013, 05:19 PM
It's interesting to see how eveyone in the states are coming across scottoilers since they pushed into the americas recently.

Seems to be a mixture of doubt, disbelief, amazement, confusion, denial, enthusiasm and excitement.

They've sold in britain for years, proven and established.

lol :werd: I heard about them maybe 5 years ago? But of course I didn't have a bike to put one on.

They work fantastic. My only gripe would be that none of their oil is rated under 0 degrees Celsius, so as of recently it's been too cold to pump the oil. But I guess there aren't a lot of people that are ridding in sub 0 temps :p

Falcor
February 4th, 2013, 05:23 PM
according to who?

According to their site photos using them on tracks.

Joshorilla
February 4th, 2013, 05:58 PM
lol :werd: I heard about them maybe 5 years ago? But of course I didn't have a bike to put one on.

They work fantastic. My only gripe would be that none of their oil is rated under 0 degrees Celsius, so as of recently it's been too cold to pump the oil. But I guess there aren't a lot of people that are ridding in sub 0 temps :p

It's probably still working fine, mine pumps just fine in sub zero temps I just adjust the flow rate a notch on the dispenser.

Joshorilla
February 4th, 2013, 06:05 PM
You can use them on track days in the UK with no problems.

I park my bike in the same spot every day and it hasn't "leaked" a drop, it does however dispense nicely when I ride.

himynameisjoe
February 4th, 2013, 06:21 PM
It's probably still working fine, mine pumps just fine in sub zero temps I just adjust the flow rate a notch on the dispenser.

No there seems to just be a lot of air in the tube. It kinds spits air and a tiny bit of oil out at me, even in prime mode. I sent them an email about it, I got a new pump, but it still seemed to be doing it... it finally started dripping again, so we'll see if it continues to work now.

Joshorilla
February 4th, 2013, 06:33 PM
No there seems to just be a lot of air in the tube. It kinds spits air and a tiny bit of oil out at me, even in prime mode. I sent them an email about it, I got a new pump, but it still seemed to be doing it... it finally started dripping again, so we'll see if it continues to work now.

Weird, mine primed fine, sounds less like a problem with the oil more with the pump, liquid pumps can destroy themselves if they aren't flooded before pumping and then they leak air into the system, that or the air just needs to be allowed to bleed out so the pump can be effective.

Mine primed by filling up the reservour, setting it to prime, and waiting for the tube to fill with oil till you get a few drips from the injectors, then you dial down the flow rate till you get the desired drip per minute then forget about it.

I don't want to sound like a smug git, but this is why I like the vsystem, it has no pumps or anything to go wrong.

himynameisjoe
February 4th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Weird, mine primed fine, sounds less like a problem with the oil more with the pump, liquid pumps can destroy themselves if they aren't flooded before pumping and then they leak air into the system, that or the air just needs to be allowed to bleed out so the pump can be effective.

Mine primed by filling up the reservour, setting it to prime, and waiting for the tube to fill with oil till you get a few drips from the injectors, then you dial down the flow rate till you get the desired drip per minute then forget about it.

I don't want to sound like a smug git, but this is why I like the vsystem, it has no pumps or anything to go wrong.

Ehh like I said, I still think it has to do with the cold personally. It worked perfectly fine for the first 2 weeks. But in the last few weeks it's been dipping down to around 10 - 0 degrees fahrenheit. (-12 -12 in Celsius). The viscosity was extremely thick when I was putting on the new pump this morning.

But yes, I fill up reservoir, prime, let it drip out of the reservoir its self, connect tube, prime again (and again and again) let the tube fill until it starts dripping onto the chain and then I'm done.

As I said, worked perfect for the first 2 weeks when the temperatures weren't diving into the low teens and bellow. It's not a very big pump, and the oil is pretty thick.

Ehh maybe the vsystem does work better? I'm not sure, either way, I like the E, I like the nerdiness of it. If they had major problems I'm sure they wouldn't still be selling them ;)

menikmati
February 4th, 2013, 11:50 PM
Hm, didn't know they ship out of Atlanta, Georgia. I would consider getting one just to throw it on the bike, but once I saw the $280 price tag for the electronic version (with the addition that you have to use their lube), I decided to stick with using Chain Saver.

red5
February 5th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Where does the oil go? Is your chain guard and front sprocket cover full of sludge after 1000 or so miles??

Falcor
February 5th, 2013, 10:24 AM
It drips directly where the chain and rear sprocket meet so there SHOULDN'T be sludge everywhere. Just where you need it.

Joshorilla
February 5th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Where does the oil go? Is your chain guard and front sprocket cover full of sludge after 1000 or so miles??

It drips enough oil so that your chain has the same amount of oil on it constantly, and it maintains that level at about the same as a day after lubing your chain, it sprays no more oil over the road than you do anyway, since you spray masses of oil out for the first few miles of riding after lubing your chain.

So instead of spraying tons of oil onto the road for a few miles after lubing, most of the oil will either come off at a miniscule and constant rate, or get washed away with the rain, or come off as vapour.

These system are proven not to be messy or dirty up the road, at least no more so than any other chain oil.

Whiskey
February 6th, 2013, 04:08 PM
it delivers a drop (0.023ml) every minute or so (depending on how you set it) when the bike is running, that's less than 1ml every 40 mins.

It does fling a little, but it's far from covering the sprocket cover & chain guard in crap.
himynameisjoe At -12F I'd be putting something a little less viscous in it.

himynameisjoe
February 6th, 2013, 04:24 PM
it delivers a drop (0.023ml) every minute or so (depending on how you set it) when the bike is running, that's less than 1ml every 40 mins.

It does fling a little, but it's far from covering the sprocket cover & chain guard in crap.
himynameisjoe At -12F I'd be putting something a little less viscous in it.

Lol not -12 F :p I was using Celsius haha

NevadaWolf
December 10th, 2013, 05:19 PM
I'll be getting one before too long though going to have to order both types of oil since summer gets so hot around here. Loving the idea of not having to oil the chain two or three times on long rides especially when every minute counts.

For those of you who have this, what sort of mileage are you getting out of the reservoir? I'm seeing everything from a few hundred to a few thousand and wondering what's the truth.

lgk
December 11th, 2013, 06:44 AM
It might sound crazy, but i like oiling my chain.
gives me a chance to consistently check things, lol.

NevadaWolf
December 11th, 2013, 12:42 PM
I don't see it as a means of getting out of oiling my chain, i do every time i get to the 400 mile mark.

I like this idea because when I am trying for a IBA cert ride, those few minutes spent moving the bike to a safe place, getting gear off so i can move, and sitting there spinning the tire while oiling the chain, then putting my gear back on really add up. Then having to do that two or three times that day.

Rather check the chain at home or at the hotel when I can spend the time to do it right.

stubshaft
December 11th, 2013, 06:55 PM
It might sound crazy, but i like oiling my chain.
gives me a chance to consistently check things, lol.

Me too...It makes me feel useful!