View Full Version : Digital Camera

Snake
May 4th, 2009, 07:53 AM
I am looking to buy a digital camera. Right now I'm looking at the Nikon L20. My budget is up to $150.

What camera do you reccomend?

BlueTyke
May 4th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Hummm... I haven't looked into a point and shoot for a while...

I suppose it depends on what you want to do with it...

There are good lower end cameras that do just as good a job as the Nikons. Sony Cybershots for example or the HP Photosmart. (I have had no problems with either of these and the features are about the same.)

So once you decide what you want to do with the camera you can match the camera to what you want. Your looking at anywhere from $89 - $140.

(Though it is my suggestion that what ever you decide... Try and get it from a place that has accidental drop insurance. I have gotten my cameras through Best Buy because usually their are reasponably priced and I can get accident drop insurance incase it 'drops' and breaks. They will repair it (granted it takes about two - three weeks for the repair but it is better than having to buy a new camera everytime) Usually it is about 30 - 40 bucks... I feel it is worth it but then again I take pictures while riding and my camera goes with me pretty much everywhere (my point and shoot not the D40)

OldGuy
May 4th, 2009, 08:07 AM
The Casio EX series is also a nice line. We got one three years ago for our Lewis and Clark trip and took over 700 pictures. Nice size, a lot of presets, and good battery life.

capt_bugaloo
May 4th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Heh... I wanted a cheap easy to use digital that was expendable, so I went to the local thrift shop. I bought an old Kodak DX-3215 point and shoot for just $8. The proprietary USB cable was long gone, so I bought a cheap SD memory card for $10 and stuck that in the camera.

The camera has auto everything, and a 2X zoom lens. The pictures look good, and while the resolution is 'only' 1280 by 768, I find that's plenty good enough for emailing, uploading, etc. This Kodak is nothing fancy - but if it gets dropped or stolen I'm only out $18. I pack it in my tail bag or my pocket whenever I'm travelling and want to snap some pics, and it's very easy to plug the SD memory card into my laptop to transfer or email photos.

TnNinjaGirl
May 4th, 2009, 10:16 AM
You can't go "wrong" with a name brand camera these days. It's all in the features you want. I would look for a camera that uses an SD/MMC flash card though. Some cameras (Sony) have proprietary memory that make life difficult at times.

Strider
May 4th, 2009, 04:52 PM
I bought my son a Nikon CoolPix L10 last year , dang good little camera for under $100

But my advice is save up and get a dSLR :)

but check this place out : great reviews here : http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html

Snake
May 4th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the link. That should help a great deal.

nmd003
May 4th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Go for a canon. I had a Nikon P&S and it was a POS. Nikon only makes good DSLRs in my opinion. HP Photosmarts are also POSs, not to mention ugly. If you want a slim one to go in your pocket, go with an S-frame Canon. If you're planning on keeping it in a bag or something, the A-frame Canons are nice as well as cheaper for the equivalent quality. Both my P&S and my DSLR are Canons.

EDIT: Oh and if you're going for the accidental service plan, Staples carries the best one around.

tinng321
May 5th, 2009, 06:52 AM
I've owned several. my first ever was the canon s200, then the olympus stylus 740, then the sony cyber-shot t-300 and now the fuji 12 mega pixal slr camera.
I really like canon but the price was high for that era. The picture quality is top notch. The features are easy to use. The olympus had the worst picture quality and it was pricy for a 7.1 megal pixal. I would never get another olympus. The sony was a 10 mega pixal with touch screen technology. The picture quality was very good in day light but horrible at night. It was also expensive. It has a lot of features plus easy to use. Plus the sony style is elegant. The Fuji i got from Electronics Expo on sale for less than 300. 12 mega pixal. very nice picture and alot of auto features. From my experiences, I would say go with canon for picture quality, sony for style and design, fuji for price and over all quality. Olympus is trunk. Believe it or not, the canon s200 with 2mp takes better pictures than the olympus 740 which is a 7.1 mp camera.
My friend has a kodak with 7.1 mp. He bought it for less than 150. I forgot what model he has. It takes good pictures. I was very impressed.