View Full Version : Dropped my bike today

ARF07
May 4th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Pretty upset as I'm sure you can call imagine. I'm just not sure what I did wrong. I was coming to a stop, shifting down then when I was almost at a complete stop over it went and I couldn't stop it. The only thing I can think of is that I used the front break instead of the rear...I'm still a total newbie, so any suggestions as to what I can do to avoid this next time, or what I might have done wrong?? Oh, and one last question..when it went over, I saw some liquid come out of the bottom. What was that and do I need to check any levels? Thanks in advance

On the plus side, that even though it hit the street, there wasn't a single scratch on the fairings...A small one on the shifter peg, but thats it...:D

zail
May 4th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Know how you feel - dropped mine yesterday doing a u-turn in a car park... only mark is on my gear shift and on the crash protector... not sure about the liquid - mine didn't leak anything... main thing is you and the bike are both ok :)

noche_caliente
May 4th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Sorry to hear about the drop Nathan. Are you ok aside from the injury to your pride?

ARF07
May 4th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Thanks Kim, yea I'm ok. I didn't fall off the bike, I kinda came off it/tried to hold it up as it was going down..Zail: glad you ride is ok too!..At first I was really mad, then I saw the liquid spill and was like uuuhh wtf?? so hopefully that was nothing

Snake
May 4th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Sorry to hear that Nathan. If you had the handle bar turned as you applied the front brake that could have made you go down. Yes be sure and check the fluids to be sure all is well.

kkim
May 4th, 2009, 03:38 PM
liquid was most likely coolant. check the level in the coolant reservoir on the right side of the bike.

ARF07
May 4th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Cool, thanks Kelly. I'll go check now...Rick that may have been it because I was about to turn. This might be OT but what speed should I stop using front break and start using rear brake? Idk if that would have made a difference here or not.

kkim
May 4th, 2009, 03:53 PM
when traveling in a straight line, I always use both. The front a bit harder than the rear to avoid the rear tire from sliding. apply smoothly and progressively.

ARF07
May 4th, 2009, 04:03 PM
ok thanks. So I just checked what I hope is the correct fluids lol. I've been around bikes for a grand total of about 3 months of my life, so I'm about to sound totally retarded. Pls fill me in on the correct terminology. On the right side of the bike middle/bottom, there is a clear circle for checking some kind of fluid levels. That looks pretty empty. Brake fluid levels are in between high and low. Suggestions?

Apex
May 4th, 2009, 04:24 PM
I use both brakes all the time, unless I'm in the middle of a turn. I trail brake a lot, even on the street. Whatever you do, do not try to trailbrake into a turn. :) You still need to hone your feel of the bike. Trail braking is a bit more advanced.

You just have to get the feel for the lever. After a while you don't even think about it anymore, and you just know (for the most part) how much brake to give it. I normally use both brakes unless, like I said, I'm trail braking.

Nickds7
May 4th, 2009, 04:31 PM
As someone else suggested, if you had a lean or you were turning at the point of stopping, the bikes weight will all go in that direction. Take the motorcycle safety foundation course, they will teach you a ton about that, and hopefully prevent a future drop.

ARF07
May 4th, 2009, 04:33 PM
I did take the MSF course. They must have skipped the "Don't drop your bike at stop signs" part :D

noche_caliente
May 4th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Nathan, you're referring to the oil sight glass, and it will look empty on the side stand - you need the get the bike upright to check the oil level - good luck

kkim
May 4th, 2009, 05:04 PM
ok thanks. So I just checked what I hope is the correct fluids lol. I've been around bikes for a grand total of about 3 months of my life, so I'm about to sound totally retarded. Pls fill me in on the correct terminology. On the right side of the bike middle/bottom, there is a clear circle for checking some kind of fluid levels. That looks pretty empty. Brake fluid levels are in between high and low. Suggestions?

how to check the fluid levels is in your owner's manual. I suggest you read it thoroughly as I think you are looking at the oil level sight glass. coolant tank is under your right fairing.

Strider
May 4th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Ouch, any drop is a bad drop, but at least you weren't hurt!

ARF07
May 4th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Thanks Kim! I just did a search for coolant levels and found Old Guys thread about it, I'll go try to find it soon..Thanks for all the help :)

jonb08
May 4th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Did you check to see if there was gravel or oil in the road where you were stopping? Maybe that liquid you saw was already there? Glad your good. Doesn't just happen to newbies. If your not paying attention, it could happen to anyone.

BlueRaven
May 4th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I remember the trainer yelling don't ever try to stop while you are turning. If you are turning, straighten the bike first then brake. If you are stopping, stop straight then when you start off again then you can turn. It's engraved in my brain from practicing during the course. They would not let you go to the next challenge unless you could do the task correctly.

ARF07
May 4th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Jon, there was gravel+it had just rained. idk if that contributed or not.. I wasn't turning when it happened, but there is always the possibility that I anticipated the turn after the stop sign and began to turn my handlebars, I don't really remember though. The fluid looked like the coolant in the bike, so I'll take the fairing off tomorrow and refill it :)

BlueRaven
May 4th, 2009, 06:03 PM
don't feel bad about the drop, i dropped mine 5 min after it was delivered just trying to move it in the garage and i wasn't even sitting on it.

sm0kediver
May 4th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Sorry to hear that Nathan. I think more riders have problems with slow speed maneuvers than anything else. You looked pretty competent on that thing Sunday.

I had some business near Rockmart this evening, and found some really good twisty roads out there. I'll text you next time I head that way.

ARF07
May 4th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Thanks BlueRaven, this is actually my second drop. I dropped it getting it off the pickup truck but it was in our back yard so the grass kept it from getting hurt..Looking forward to riding again Jody, just lemme know when.

TrueFaith
May 4th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Don't let it scare you away from using the front brake. It's still your best friend in most situations and the possibility of "flipping" your bike using it is pretty remote. In fact you're much more likely to lowside if you start favoring the rear. I doubt the drop really had much to do with which brake you were using and had more to do with the angle of the bike.

thsadmin
May 4th, 2009, 10:30 PM
DoH !! It happens easily, I dropped mine the other day whilst pushing it up a small step - it got up and then back down - I am skinny and not that strong - as soon as the bike rolled back I lost my footing and nearly tripped ... and bike dropped.

Then this morning I was testing my oil leak fix ... ran low/out of oil (as the fix didn't work) - so I had to walk up a steep hill to get home ... my legs were starting to ache and I didn't want to stop (knowing that if I did I wouldn't get going again) ... by the time I got to the top of the hill I was exhausted and the bike felt so damn heavy - I felt it starting to lean and I used the rest of my energy to hold it str8 and correct the lean ... so close to dropping again.

So yeah it happens ...

CC Cowboy
May 5th, 2009, 05:07 AM
Good thing you're OK. Did you remember to put your feet down after you stopped? That could make you fall over (don't ask how I know).

Cali619
May 5th, 2009, 07:25 AM
Nathan if you want a copy of twist of the wrist(I have 1 and 2) shoot me a PM. It is easy reading and can give you things to try as you get more experience.

OldGuy
May 5th, 2009, 07:27 AM
Thanks Kim! I just did a search for coolant levels and found Old Guys thread about it, I'll go try to find it soon..Thanks for all the help :)

Careful Nathan my thread was for the pregens and there are differences on the coolant reservoir between the two generations. Concept is the same but . . .

Glad you are OK. It really sucks when you drop it but a) you are OK and b) no major damage. Now just figure out what happened for sure so you don't do it again.

One thought for you - on my road bicycle my couple of fails at stops (I use clip in shoes) were caused because I had a weight shift away from the foot that I had put down. All most impossible to recover from that. I've gotten very comfortable with low speed riding and don't put a foot down until the very end BUT, I put both feet down and keep them down until I move. That way I don't have to worry about a weight shift.

CodE-E
May 5th, 2009, 09:16 PM
I dropped mine a bit over a week ago when I tried to lift the rear wheel with a mount to clean the bike's chain. I've never lifted the rear with a mount before, and the mount I bought is a cheap generic PoS mount which doesn't make the job particularly easy or safe. Well, I somehow lost balance and made my bike tip over. It fell on its right side on a sidewalk, and the plastic body got quite a big crack. :(

That's why it's still in the workshop. I hope it'll be fixed in the next few days.

Regarding stopping, turning, and breaking: some very light, controlled breaking while cornering can be okay, but when coming to a stop, go off the brakes, straighten the bike, and then brake to a stop. Also, when I come to a stop before a tight corner, I always keep the wheel straight, even if I want to make a turn, just to slowly roll forward to check for traffic. Only when it's clear, do I start turning the handlebar and take off. I nearly dropped my Ninja twice in the first week by trying to go through corners where I might need to yield in a smooth motion like with a car.

Apex
May 6th, 2009, 10:32 AM
My retarded drop was coming to a stop just after it stopped raining. I was on a back road and slowed for a stop sign. I stopped, and proceeded to put my right foot in oil slick that was in the center of the lane. I tried to hold my footing, but the sick removed all traction and the bike fell on its side. I laughed and looked around. Lucky nobody was there to witness this. lol

I learned to watch for the slick after that, never did it again!

Glad all is well though. First things always first: a bike can be repaired or replaced, you can't. Just glad you're ok.

CC Cowboy
May 6th, 2009, 01:11 PM
My retarded drop was coming to a stop just after it stopped raining. I was on a back road and slowed for a stop sign. I stopped, and proceeded to put my right foot in oil slick that was in the center of the lane. I tried to hold my footing, but the sick removed all traction and the bike fell on its side. I laughed and looked around. Lucky nobody was there to witness this. lol

I learned to watch for the slick after that, never did it again!

Glad all is well though. First things always first: a bike can be repaired or replaced, you can't. Just glad you're ok.

I've done that at toll booths. Be careful, the amount of oil and grease adds up and when you pull in on a bike you put your feet right in it.

If you do fall over at a toll booth, look for change.

sm0kediver
May 6th, 2009, 02:42 PM
I you do fall over at a toll booth, look for change.

:p

Apex
May 6th, 2009, 02:53 PM
I've done that at toll booths. Be careful, the amount of oil and grease adds up and when you pull in on a bike you put your feet right in it.

I you do fall over at a toll booth, look for change.
Might as well try to get something to help cushion the misfortune. :D

tjkamper
May 6th, 2009, 03:33 PM
In MSF They told me to always keep my bars straight. If you have you bars turned it just pull the bike down when you use the front brake.