View Full Version : Fast help needed! Oil leak

ally99
July 8th, 2014, 11:10 AM
Hey guys. I need some really fast help here. I'm an hour and a half from home. ROde my bike to family's house. It sat for 2 hours. Went out to leave and there's a puddle of oil around the kickstand. Looks like it's coming from the overflow tube (I think??) but the oil level in the bike is low when I stand it up. :( Any ideas how serious this might be? I'm stuck deciding whether to buy some oil, fill it up, and keep checking it all the way home??? Help!

csmith12
July 8th, 2014, 11:14 AM
Fill it back up, and run it for a bit, recheck for leaks. It be hot down there right now, I bet that and some traffic had something to do with it.

CZroe
July 8th, 2014, 11:17 AM
1.5 hours could put you really close if you were heading to The South Side. Wish I had a truck. :(

jkv45
July 8th, 2014, 11:29 AM
I'm not following where it's coming from exactly, but if the oil level is low (checked with the cycle held vertical) I would add some to bring it up to the correct level before continuing.

If you were running pretty hard you may have sucked some amount of oil into the airbox, and it's dripping from the drain.

Use a diesel oil like Rotella T or Delvac if you can find it, but any oil (even car oil - temporarily only) is better than running with it too low.

Alex
July 8th, 2014, 12:00 PM
No matter what, fill it up so it is at the proper level when standing straight up. For a 50 - 75 mile ride, I'd probably ride it a bit, then see if I could determine where it was leaking from every 10 - 15 miles. Hopefully it's just out of one of the vent tubes, but perhaps not.

allanoue
July 8th, 2014, 12:02 PM
:imsorry:
Did you just fill the gas tank before parking it?
Sorry, I have to ask.

ally99
July 8th, 2014, 12:05 PM
Hey all. It's leaking from the crank breathing tube (God I suck at names of parts). GOnna fill her up and ride her up 2 hours to the shop. WIsh me luck!

And no, Al, I had put gas in her about 70 miles before parking her.

ally99
July 8th, 2014, 12:06 PM
It hasn't leaked any more since I saw the puddle 1.5 hours ago. THe guy I trust at the shop seems to think it's no big deal and it will be safe to ride that far. I hope he's right.

sharky nrk
July 8th, 2014, 01:04 PM
Any chance you overfilled it a little on your last change? A slightly high oil level, heat, and thrashing on a ride will make that sucker puke

Hero Danny
July 8th, 2014, 01:18 PM
Wow, what a NIGHTMARE!

I hope all is well, be sure to check back when everything's okay. Be careful on your ride home! Don't let the oil distract you from riding safe. I also agree with everyone on checking it out every ~10 miles

Also every minute or so glance at your oil light. If it turns red immediately hit the kill switch and coast to the side of the road (if it is safe to do so!)

alex.s
July 8th, 2014, 02:48 PM
weird, sometimes my overflow spits out gas if it has a full tank and it gets hot. other times i've had oil come out the airbox drain after a while of spirited twisties. maybe you were just having a bit 'too much fun' in the curves and sloshed the oil around enough to send it out the top? it seems odd though cause it should just go into the intake and burn up without ever seeing it

rojoracing53
July 8th, 2014, 02:56 PM
If you hold wheelie for to long oil will come out your overflow. I suggest you ease up on the freeway wheelies till you get it checked out. :thumbup:

alex.s
July 8th, 2014, 03:21 PM
If you hold wheelie for to long oil will come out your overflow. I suggest you ease up on the freeway wheelies till you get it checked out. :thumbup:

she definitely does do too many standup wheelies.

ally99
July 8th, 2014, 06:04 PM
Any chance you overfilled it a little on your last change? A slightly high oil level, heat, and thrashing on a ride will make that sucker puke

Thank you all for the advice! It was definitely oil, and a puddle large enough to make me worry. Standing the bike up (after the engine being off for 2ish house), and seeing the oil level was pretty low (only just above the bottom tick mark), I worried even more.

After consulting with a few trustworthy bike mechanics, I filled it up, rode it over 2 hours though rush hour traffic in Atlanta, made it to the shop, and left her overnight. I'll know something tomorrow.

I'm sure it's nothing. They seemed to think it was probably pretty minor, but they're checking it out and I've been told there will be no charge. So yay!

Thanks everyone for coming through so quickly in a pinch. I hate the feeling of being stranded while out on the bike!

ally99
July 8th, 2014, 06:10 PM
she definitely does do too many standup wheelies.

:lol: Yes. Every ride. :rolleyes:

ally99
July 9th, 2014, 02:19 PM
Turns out it was nothing. Apparently when the shop changed my oil last month, they overfilled it (though it looked right to me when I checked behind them). I rode nearly 1000 miles before it decided to spit the overflow oil out of the crank bleeder tube. Anyway, crisis averted. Bike and I made it fine, and she's in good shape. Thanks again for the fast help! Love this forum! :D