View Full Version : What I learned today - Thread

watcanido
May 7th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Hey fellow riders I just wanted to start a thread which will hopefully help all of us be safer out there while riding our bikes.

I was coming to a intersection on a 3 lane road doing 60 km speed limit, bus on the right side stopped to pick up commuters. I was riding along the middle lane, blocking the left side of my lane. So I was about to cross the intersection when all of a sudden a car making a right which was my heading turns without stopping for the red light, on top of that he makes it wide so he is on my lane now. I had to swerve and brake at the same time just to avoid his rear. It was a close call for sure, I ended up on the blocking position on the left lane really quickly. So what I learned today was be cautious crossing intersection especially if you are being blocked from other vehicles view like the bus in my experience, never panic stay calm, squeeze the brakes softly when trying to stop and try to have an exit route mine was the left lane, thank goodness it was clear or I would have been downed for sure. Ride safe. :)

Blue Ninja 250R
May 7th, 2009, 01:05 AM
Glad that nothing happen to you and the new paint job..:thumbup:

Sound Wave
May 7th, 2009, 01:41 AM
Glad that nothing happen to you and the new paint job..:thumbup:

+1

iirc, intersections are where most motorcycle accidents happen. also gotta be careful when approaching side streets.

Verus Cidere
May 9th, 2009, 11:11 PM
I agree, it's always good to give yourself room. Another tip in situations like this is to move over to the left lane as soon as the bus stops. That way, not only can you see around it better, but you're already in a better position to avoid something that comes around it. Just my :2cents: