View Full Version : Reflective decals... Homemade

tjkamper
May 7th, 2009, 05:38 AM
I just put my decals on. I'm a cheap skate so Instead of paying for custom cut decals I went to a local vinyl distributor and purchased a yard of Industrial Sticker Vinyl. I got retro-reflective white. I have a roatory wheel and mat at home and I went to work. I first made templates with masking tape and printer paper. Then I used a combination of scissors, exacto knifes and the roatory wheel to cut the stickers. I have one bubble that I am not happy with, but it can't be seen from three feet away. I will probably pop a hole in it and then try to squigy the air out of it agail. That has worked on other decals I have put on cars in the past.

Let me know what you think.

Sorry for the grainy pics, but it was dawn when I took them.

Snake
May 7th, 2009, 05:41 AM
I think those are cool. You get style and added safety.

tjkamper
May 7th, 2009, 05:43 AM
Yeah. It was easy too. only took a few hours. Good time spent with my bike and it only cost about $15 not counting the masking tape I used

BlueTyke
May 7th, 2009, 06:01 AM
Very nice! I like it! Can't wait to see a less grainy picture :D I really like the sticker in front above the head light!

tjkamper
May 7th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Yeah the front ones were a PITA. But they look really good. The curves made it really difficult. I originally wasn't going to do it, but after the Retread incident I had no choice. I'm really glad it turned out so well.

BlueTyke
May 7th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Next time your doing pictures get one from the front too. I would like to see what it looks like with the head light pointing at the camera. :D

tinng321
May 7th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Well done...how much was the total cost?

edit: nvm on the cost. hehe...i'm at work...started the reply but couldn't hit submit right away.:D

Rynownd
May 7th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Very nice. I'm hoping to add some white vinyl to mine too. I don't plan to cut it myself, but it's cool to see how good a custom job can look.
:thumbup:

tjkamper
May 7th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Here are some better pics.

Buffalony
May 7th, 2009, 12:57 PM
very nice.

Jiu Jitsu Player
May 7th, 2009, 04:44 PM
That looks killer. Nice job. You don't happen to have any templates for the upper part of the side fairing by any chance?

SpyderGirl
May 7th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Looks nice. I'm sorta a cheapskate too. I was thinking of doing something similar with mine.

TnNinjaGirl
May 7th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Looks good. Decals are hard to pull off without looking dorky. Your bike does not look dorky.

Strider
May 7th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Your not a cheapskate, your a Frugal DoItYourself-er :)

Smooth job btw , it looks great to me!

M-Oorb
May 7th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Wow that looks amazing. I really wish I could do something like that. How much would it cost for you to design something and make a template for me:rolleyes:

Buffalony
May 8th, 2009, 03:39 AM
wish you did a DIY on this. I'd love to play with some vinyl on the ninjettes curves :)
I've never done vinyl work before. Anyone know any good sites for getting into this?

ninjabrewer
May 8th, 2009, 08:00 PM
I would love to be able to do that, maybe when I get to socal, I will have the time to do that.

nb

noche_caliente
May 9th, 2009, 01:50 PM
looks good!

Techno250
May 9th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Looks great, it's a fraction the price of some decal kits I've seen, and totally unique. Impressive!

cmac
May 11th, 2009, 04:32 AM
Dang! I had the same idea. Althought I dont have a bike yet I was thinking about putting some cool looking reflective tape on there, espeically on the windscreen. Ive done this on my road bike in the past for when I ride at look. It helps a lot to be seen.

tjkamper
May 11th, 2009, 05:32 AM
Thanks for all the support. I'm really glad with how it turned out... Next on the list. Fender Chop!