View Full Version : 08+ Rearset Adjusters

NinjetteMan
May 9th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Don't know if this has been mentioned, but I stumbled upon this thread on the other forum. Looks to be a nice product and a good price...

http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?t=134166

islanderman7
May 9th, 2009, 12:03 PM
I think kelly has a pair of these. Check the DIY.

NinjetteMan
May 9th, 2009, 12:09 PM
These are somewhat lower priced than Kelly's and U.S. made

thebulbousone
May 9th, 2009, 01:00 PM
made by ian at cycle control out of pittsburgh pa. ... nice stuff and making american made adjustable levers also.... www.cyclecontrol.com ...250 stuff in 2 weeks approximately...

thebulbousone
May 16th, 2009, 01:37 PM
a sneak peak.... ian does awesome work.....

zail
May 16th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Have just put my name on the list for a set of these - he's hoping to be shipping by next Monday with the adjustable levers ready in 10 -14 days...

Buffalony
May 16th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Have just put my name on the list for a set of these - he's hoping to be shipping by next Monday with the adjustable levers ready in 10 -14 days...

I hope so. I cant stand being cramped any longer. Theres no way in hell I'm goin to ride the NE rally in the fetal position.

Tubesock
June 12th, 2009, 03:20 PM
I just put mine on, I love them! I had one small snag but Ian's going out of his way to help me with it. Awesome product from an awesome company.

Ken
June 12th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Looks great! My box is waiting at home so I can't wait to install them! :D

RaceBikeRentals
June 13th, 2009, 06:53 PM
I just put mine on, I love them! I had one small snag but Ian's going out of his way to help me with it. Awesome product from an awesome company.

Maybe shorten that rear brake line a bit? Looks a bit pinched. If you don't use your rear brake, no big deal eh? :)

Tubesock
June 14th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Hasn't caused me any problems yet, but that is something to be done. I just haven't done it yet. :o

ninjablk08
June 20th, 2009, 10:19 PM
a sneak peak.... ian does awesome work.....

got mine in black, total 65.00 bucks shipped , they are great,no problems installing them and adjusting shifter

CANTFUNCTION
July 1st, 2009, 06:12 PM
I just installed mine. I also ran into same snags.

1. Had to retap all the holes because the bolts wouldn't go all the way through adjusters. Good thing I had the tap and didn't have to go buy one.

2. Left side didn't line up right. Had to make the holes a little bigger.

3. Made a plate to move the brake reservoir back to prevent the hose from kinking.

ShelbyOne
July 2nd, 2009, 02:05 PM
yeah, the threads on the provided hardware were a little rough. I had to force one on the left side. (probably a re-tap later) I think if you cleaned them up a little bit before installation they would go in smooth.
Otherwise I am happy with these. I thought they would give a little more leg room. (33" inseam) but I really like the sportier feel!

Banzai
July 3rd, 2009, 06:12 AM
I just installed mine. I also ran into same snags.

1. Had to retap all the holes because the bolts wouldn't go all the way through adjusters. Good thing I had the tap and didn't have to go buy one. That sucks. No good reason to have to retap the holes out of the box!

2. Left side didn't line up right. Had to make the holes a little bigger. Could be possible variations in the frames, but still a "Fail" for a product that offered so much promise.

3. Made a plate to move the brake reservoir back to prevent the hose from kinking. Good deal on that one. Throw a black wrist band on the brake resivoir and it'll dissapear.

sharky nrk
July 3rd, 2009, 06:20 AM
looks like a little QA work is all they need to be a good product

kylerwhite
July 3rd, 2009, 05:34 PM
I've ordered a set myself. It's been a week and a half so they should be here soon. I can't wait to get them mounted. Now I just need my clip-ons to show up.

CANTFUNCTION
July 3rd, 2009, 05:38 PM
Thomas

I was going to return them but being a holiday weekend it would take another week or more to get a new set. I think I will still call Cycle Control up and tell Ian that he does need to check these things before he send them out.

I only need about 2 more threads for the bolt to go through the adjusters. I think the adjusters were taped on a table. So the tap just stop when it hit the table.

I think you may be right about variations in the frames. It also might be poor workmanship. But that's what you get for $65.

I am happy with them I just wished Ian would have gotten all the bugs out before he put them into production

IanYoung
July 4th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Hey guys,

I just want to clear some things up about our adjusters.

1.) The threads are intentionally left tight at the end. This acts as a fool proof self-locking mechanism. We can not expect people to use a thread locker on the bolts.

Partially because I'm sure there would be that one person that uses a type that is permanent and destroy the threads/hardware trying to remove them. Also because I'm sure many people installing them don't have thread locker sitting around, and would just put them on without.... which would be OK 99% of the time, but there would be that one where the bolts came loose and something happened.

So, that is why the bolts get tight at the end of the threads. You just need to use a little pressure and run them in. You WILL NOT hurt the threads. They are formed (not cut) with a Roll Tap. Meaning that instead of your normal tap that CUTS the threads into the metal, the Roll Tap FORMS the threads by pushing material into the thread shape. This yields a VERY STRONG thread, even in aluminum.

2.) The few of you that had trouble with the left (shifter) side bracket not fitting quite right.

After I became aware of this I went and measured a few more bikes. I measured a total of 8 08-09 250's and got 5 different measurements! (all within 0.5mm) What this tells me is that Kawi's tolerances are a bit less strict than I have seen on other bikes... even other Kawis. (maybe they have frames coming from more than one place?)

We were basically making the brackets to a tolerance of 0.1mm of our original measurements... so if you have one of the bikes that was toward the far end of the spectrum you're bracket/frame combination could be off by 0.5mm... not much, but enough to make things a little tight.

This has now been fixed and all the kits we have in stock have slightly larger mounting holes to allow for this slight variation. Also, any kit shipped within the last week or so is also the updated part.

So if you have a part that isn't quite right, please bring it to my attention. I will do what ever I can to make it right. If you have one of the brackets that isn't lining up quite right and would like a replacement please let me know. The best way to get a hold of me is via e-mail to Ian@cyclecontrol.com.

Thanks guys, have a great 4th of July! I'm off to a BBQ then some dirtbike riding :D I'll be back to work first thing Monday :thumbup:

kkim
July 4th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Welcome Ian,

How about running a special on your products here on Ninjette for our members?

:)

zail
July 4th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Waiting for mine to arrive... hurry up overseas post!!!!!

noche_caliente
July 4th, 2009, 11:11 AM
great to see that you made it over Ian!

CANTFUNCTION
July 4th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Ian,

Thanks for taking the time to clearing up the problems that I was having. I see why there were no threads at the end of the adjusters now. I've never hear of this type fool proof self-locking system before. Was this your design? I was afraid of stripping out the adjusters this is why I used a tap so the bolt would go in smoothly. And just to let you know I did use blue lock tight on them. All the changes I made to the adjusters were because I wanted them on and didn't want to have to return them.

Again Ian thanks clarifying my problems that I had with the adjusters. I hope you will become a regular member here.:thumbup:

JaeL
July 5th, 2009, 01:44 PM
what's everyone doing about the brake line?

NJD022588
July 6th, 2009, 03:29 AM

I have woodcraft rearsets, but I'm sure its the same issue... At first I forgot I needed to do something with it and ended up driving 15 miles with it rubbing the tire. :eek: Since then, I have hooked it on the on the outside of the rearset, preventing it from swinging out into the tire. You could also zip-tie it out of the way. Its too much of a pain to take one end loose and cut it.

ShelbyOne
July 11th, 2009, 05:10 PM

I just re-routed mine up under the seat. Like this:

With the rearsets adjusted to the full rear position there is enough hose. If you wanted to mount the fluid reservoir completely horizontal you will need to get a slightly longer one. Use a 5/8' drill bit for a tight fit.

backinthesaddleagain
July 11th, 2009, 08:42 PM
looks like there are a couple different sets of holes for different placements. how far back and up can these move the pegs?

CANTFUNCTION
July 12th, 2009, 12:28 AM
looks like there are a couple different sets of holes for different placements. how far back and up can these move the pegs?

There are 5 different setting. Mine are set at the lowest setting which is about 2 3/4 inches back 1 1/2 inches up.

backinthesaddleagain
July 12th, 2009, 06:29 PM
There are 5 different setting. Mine are set at the lowest setting which is about 2 3/4 inches back 1 1/2 inches up.

Thanks - much appreciated.

IanYoung
July 14th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Thank you all for the welcome. Sorry it's taken me so long to come back to post :o

I've been working very hard to get a prototype steering damper ready for our July 24th track day. :eek:

Welcome Ian,

How about running a special on your products here on Ninjette for our members?

:)

I think I could put something together for the month of August. Can someone put me in contact with the the Admins of the board?

Ian,

Thanks for taking the time to clearing up the problems that I was having. I see why there were no threads at the end of the adjusters now. I've never hear of this type fool proof self-locking system before. Was this your design? I was afraid of stripping out the adjusters this is why I used a tap so the bolt would go in smoothly. And just to let you know I did use blue lock tight on them. All the changes I made to the adjusters were because I wanted them on and didn't want to have to return them.

Again Ian thanks clarifying my problems that I had with the adjusters. I hope you will become a regular member here.:thumbup:

No problem, I like to make sure ALL our customers are happy. Like I said, if you have issues, please don't hesitate to bring them to my attention, we'll make it good.

The way we thread the adjusters IS part of the design. We're always thinking :D

Like posted there are 5 positions. (measurements in MM)

http://cyclecontrol.com/pics/250_positions.jpg

kkim
July 14th, 2009, 12:14 PM
I think I could put something together for the month of August. Can someone put me in contact with the the Admins of the board?

PM forum user/owner Alex. :)

Thank you for your consideration for placing specials here.

M-Oorb
July 14th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Woohoo...more money spendinggg

sugizo_esp
July 15th, 2009, 06:14 AM
How does this work with the stock shift linkage?

Will the gear shift be pointed to the ground when adjusted to the far top and back setting?

dimeified
July 15th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Can anyone post pictures of seating positions with the bike in stock form, and also with the rearset adjusters set for max legroom? I am interested in how much a difference this makes, at 6'1 i feel my bike could use a little more legroom.

CANTFUNCTION
July 15th, 2009, 09:30 AM
How does this work with the stock shift linkage?

Will the gear shift be pointed to the ground when adjusted to the far top and back setting?

No Cycle Control sends you 2 different size rods that attach to the the stock shift linkage.

CANTFUNCTION
July 15th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Can anyone post pictures of seating positions with the bike in stock form, and also with the rearset adjusters set for max legroom? I am interested in how much a difference this makes, at 6'1 i feel my bike could use a little more legroom.

Bill

Sorry, I didn't have any pictures of the stock setting. But in post 13 there are pictures of the adjusters in lowest setting. Which gave me the most legroom with the adjusters. I would say you would loss legroom by putting these on, because you are going to move the foot peg up and back. Hopes this helps.

dimeified
July 16th, 2009, 06:03 AM
It does, thanks for the info. Actually after riding around for the first time ever yesterday, its amazing how much roomier the bike feels when your not cramped between 100 others in the bike shop!

M-Oorb
July 21st, 2009, 08:18 PM
So any new news on a possible group buy? I hope interest is up there so we can drive down the price as low as possible :)

gizmogamez
July 22nd, 2009, 05:16 AM
I'd be interested in these for sure.

IanYoung
July 22nd, 2009, 05:30 PM
So any new news on a possible group buy? I hope interest is up there so we can drive down the price as low as possible :)

Sure, let's start a list... how's 1% off per person up to 20% sound?

We'll collect names for 2 weeks, then see where we're at.

Sound good? Let me know, maybe want to start a new thread?

:thumbup:

kkim
July 22nd, 2009, 05:32 PM

is this in addition to offering August specials here? :D

M-Oorb
July 22nd, 2009, 05:39 PM

I think that sounds like a great idea :thumbup: Im sure we could get 20 people. As for a new thread...yea probably do it would be easier...with a link to this thread in the beg. so you dont need to repeat a lot of information.

IanYoung
July 22nd, 2009, 05:43 PM
is this in addition to offering August specials here? :D

Yes, I'm going to offer a special on our levers for the entire month of August. :cool:

But you'll have to wait and see ;)

kkim
July 22nd, 2009, 05:46 PM
Yes, I'm going to offer a special on our levers for the entire month of August. :cool:

okay... thanks!!

:jumping40:

gizmogamez
July 23rd, 2009, 01:20 PM
but i want them NOW!!!!!

rockNroll
July 23rd, 2009, 01:58 PM

Pics/details on these levers? I'm thinkin I might need both items :thumbup:

IanYoung
July 23rd, 2009, 04:02 PM

Everything is on our site at http://cyclecontrol.com

I'll be away for the weekend... Track Day tomorrow:D I'll start a GB thread on Monday.

Have a nice weekend guys :thumbup:

ShelbyOne
July 23rd, 2009, 04:03 PM

Check it! http://www.cyclecontrol.com/index.php?page=products/levers:thumbup:

rockNroll
July 24th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Check it! http://www.cyclecontrol.com/index.php?page=products/levers:thumbup:

Them look tasty!

zail
July 24th, 2009, 03:44 PM
I've got the levers and the adjusters - should be fitting them this weekend and am looking forward to seeing how they feel...

CANTFUNCTION
July 24th, 2009, 09:25 PM
I've got the levers and the adjusters - should be fitting them this weekend and am looking forward to seeing how they feel...

What size levers did you get? If you got the short ones, how much shorter are the levers compared to stock?

Thanks

zail
July 25th, 2009, 01:06 PM
What size levers did you get? If you got the short ones, how much shorter are the levers compared to stock?

Thanks

I got the normal sized ones - I have short levers on my push bike and really don't like them (I have small hands and the short levers don't suit them...)

ShelbyOne
August 1st, 2009, 03:50 AM

Ok..... It's August...... :woot2:

IanYoung
August 5th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Here ya go!!!

2 Great Offers From Cycle Control!! - ninjette.org (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?p=90642)

JaeL
August 16th, 2009, 06:44 AM
bump

zail
August 16th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Just got these fitted today - my main aim was to move the footpegs to allow me to get my feet (at the end of my short legs!) straighter down to the floor without the pegs getting in the way - they've made that happen no probs and they're only at the minimum adjustment atm! Thanks Ian for such a great product :)

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o177/CRMCC/zail/DSC_0459.jpg http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o177/CRMCC/zail/DSC_0463.jpg

Seth
September 28th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Sorry guys, has anyone had news from cyclecontrol. I purchased a set of these about a week ago, they don't answer the phone, reply to emails, nothing.

Just wondering if they are still in business?

Mr_Pete
November 20th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Sorry guys, has anyone had news from cyclecontrol. I purchased a set of these about a week ago, they don't answer the phone, reply to emails, nothing.

Just wondering if they are still in business?

Same here. Ordered the rear adjusters about a week ago and read that shipping would be 2-3 days per their website. Tried to email them, but no response... Probably will try and give them a call today after class.

matts250r
November 20th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Same here. Ordered the rear adjusters about a week ago and read that shipping would be 2-3 days per their website. Tried to email them, but no response... Probably will try and give them a call today after class.

I ordered a set as well. Same deal here. They took a bit longer than expected but worth the wait.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr_Pete
November 20th, 2009, 03:31 PM
I ordered a set as well. Same deal here. They took a bit longer than expected but worth the wait.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, tried calling the place today but no answer so I had to leave a message. When did you order your set, Matts250r? And how long did it take for you to receive it?
Posted via Mobile Device

matts250r
November 20th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Yeah, tried calling the place today but no answer so I had to leave a message. When did you order your set, Matts250r? And how long did it take for you to receive it?
Posted via Mobile Device

About 2 1/2weeks. They look great. None of my buddies even noticed them. Just send Ian a few a messages. You'll get those extenders
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr_Pete
November 30th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Got the rear adjusters in and installed and they're great. Makes the riding position much more comfortable. Only thing was I had a bit of trouble with the left adjuster and getting it to mount correctly. The mounting bolt was resistant and I ended up striping it and still unable to get the bolt in completely. Contacted Ian and he said he'd be able to get some new bolts in the mail :thumbup:

Betlog
February 2nd, 2010, 12:56 PM
Has anyone else purchased these recently? I'm wondering if their turn-around-time has improved?

ryandward
March 6th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Can anybody please post some detailed pics of what you did with the brake fluid AND the brake like on the right side, has anybody perfected this without drilling? Also, the brake like has a VERY thick rubber shield on it...

k-os
March 7th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Here are some pictures I took. I got a piece of 1/4 Aluminum and cut it 3 inches by .75 inches, I think. I drilled some holes in it so that where it attaches to the reservoir holder it doesn't wiggle around, then I painted it black.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/CHEESEWHiZ/2008%20Ninja%20250R/2010-03-07133417.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/CHEESEWHiZ/2008%20Ninja%20250R/2010-03-07133434.jpg

Here's the brake light wiring

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/CHEESEWHiZ/2008%20Ninja%20250R/2010-03-07133517.jpg

ryandward
March 7th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Holy smokes Batman, that looks cramped! What about the left side? Thanks for the pics! Also that metal lip screwed into the bolt behind the passenger footpeg needs to be right next to the brake fluid, it keeps the lid from opening accidentally. Just move it to the end of the piece you created.

miks
April 10th, 2010, 11:29 PM
Got a smokin' deal for these from a private seller. Installation of the LHS adjuster was very fiddly getting the shift rod right. Had to zip-tie the brake hose so it doesn't rub against the tyre.

I put it on the most furthest and most highest setting, loving it so far! Great product.

Buffalony
May 7th, 2010, 10:03 PM
these good or bad for a longer inseam?

ShelbyOne
May 18th, 2010, 10:48 AM

I would say, not good or bad, just different. They move your foot back, AND up so it's just a more sporty position. You don't get any more legroom with these. I have a 33" inseam, and i like the more "forward" position these give you.
I also think clip-ons will help if you have longer arms.

g21-30
May 18th, 2010, 01:12 PM

I think you saw these:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17572

I have a 34" inseam! :)

Buffalony
May 18th, 2010, 11:56 PM
I would say, not good or bad, just different. They move your foot back, AND up so it's just a more sporty position. You don't get any more legroom with these. I have a 33" inseam, and i like the more "forward" position these give you.
I also think clip-ons will help if you have longer arms.

Makes sense. Thanks for the reply. :thumbup:

I think you saw these:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17572

I have a 34" inseam! :)

Actually I happened to miss that thread.
Last year I jumped on those aluminum Ebay foot rests in black and I still love em I also havent had any problems with sag.

I do have the same inseam and have been looking for an option but not another mod process as I have too many in progress. But for the future now I'll have this one in mind. Thank you

Dr Honda
May 20th, 2010, 04:57 AM
Hi Guys,

I was just in contact with a member here, and I thought I would joint to help clear up some issues.

Let me start by saying... Cycle Control is still up and running. But it is more or less a one person company. Ian Young... the owner/operator has had some very serious medical issues. He spent 6 weeks in the hospital due to complications of a lung transplant. Since then, he has been in and out of the hospital, and unfortunately, his company has suffered a little. Right now, he is in the hospital again because of an infection in a tube that is used for Dialysis. If all goes well, he should be out by the weekend.

Because of this, Ian has not been able to answer emails, or phone calls as quickly as needed, and as I fully understand... this can be frustrating when trying to spend your hard earned money.

OK... this is where I step in.

My name is Tony Ferraro, and I'm with A&L Motorsports. I work with Ian in the R&D stages of his products, and I do the manufacturing for him. Cycle control, and A&L Motorsports are what you would call sister companies. We are independent, but rely on each other.

Since I have full knowledge of his products, I am always here to answer questions. I may not know an answer about shipping times, or specific to your order... but I normally know if things are in stock, or can answer a technical question. Also... and more importantly, I can get in touch with Ian when he is unavailable to the public. So... if there are ever any issues with a Cycle control product, and Ian can not be reached, please contact me at:

tony@a-lmotorsports.com

Sorry for any inconvenience, and confusion there has been with Cycle Control Products.