View Full Version : Reflective rim tape

capt_bugaloo
May 9th, 2009, 08:02 PM
I put some reflective red rim tape on my 2008 Ninja 250r. Before the wheels were plain black.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o272/LS650/250r_A.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o272/LS650/250r_B.jpg

I washed the wheels with mild soap and water, then wiped the rims down with a rag and some rubbing alcohol to cut any grease left behind. The reflective strips were pre-curved, and not TOO difficult to apply. The whole job took me less than an hour.

I think the strips not only look better, but they are highly reflective so add more night-time visibility for safety! :thumbup:

OldGuy
May 9th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Nice bike and nice look Bruce. :thumbup:

Next job is to get rid of the wheele bar :rolleyes:

capt_bugaloo
May 9th, 2009, 09:02 PM
I ride quite a bit in the rain (Pacific northwest and all) so I think I'll be leaving the rear fender alone...

Sound Wave
May 10th, 2009, 03:29 AM
stripes look good. welcome to the club. :)

yeah, that fender looks really ugly, but it sure works in preventing the water from flinging up on your back. if i were in your situation, i would leave it too.

bogdanb
May 10th, 2009, 04:16 AM
Look great ! What is the appropriate colour for black Ninja?

Sound Wave
May 10th, 2009, 04:17 AM
Look great ! What is the appropriate colour for black Ninja?

i don't know about "appropriate", but i got the stereotypical black bike with red stripes

bogdanb
May 10th, 2009, 04:34 AM
i don't know about "appropriate", but i got the stereotypical black bike with red stripes

Well, please excuse my English. What I actually meant, was "Which colour will match best for a black bike?"

Sound Wave
May 10th, 2009, 04:44 AM
oh. sorry. the good thing about black is that pretty much everything matches it. the most common combination i have seen is red stripes with the black bike. personally i think that looks the best. i think lime green stripes looks really good on the black kawi's as well. i was debating between the two.

bogdanb
May 10th, 2009, 04:57 AM
oh. sorry. the good thing about black is that pretty much everything matches it. the most common combination i have seen is red stripes with the black bike. personally i think that looks the best. i think lime green stripes looks really good on the black kawi's as well. i was debating between the two.

No problem. I am for the lime green as well. :cool: And I will buy a tank protector in black & green. I don't think that the bike will look good with more than two colors on it.
Speaking about tanks... has anyone ever disassemble the reservoir cap? It seem that I have to clean the breather.

noche_caliente
May 10th, 2009, 08:17 AM
My bike has blue rim stripes, and I have blue gear, and have recently added blue pazzos to her - I think it's a really sharp combination!

capt_bugaloo
May 10th, 2009, 08:44 AM
that fender looks really ugly, but it sure works in preventing the water from flinging up on your back.
Yes, I was thinking of removing the rear fender (it does look ugly) but I've read several comments about how well it stops rain and road grit from flying up onto the rider's back.

Around here, if you won't ride in rain you can go for weeks without riding at all.

Jiu Jitsu Player
May 10th, 2009, 05:42 PM
What size thickness are those rim stripes? They look fatter than the ones on my bike and others I've seen. I think these look a lot better IMO.

Strider
May 10th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Well, please excuse my English. What I actually meant, was "Which colour will match best for a black bike?"

If I re-do mine ... it will be in Gold

capt_bugaloo
May 10th, 2009, 10:11 PM
The stripes are 8 mm wide, and pre-curved for a 17" wheel.
I bought them on eBay for $6 US plus shipping from this guy:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/REFLECTIVE-Wheel-Rim-Stripe-Tape-Sticker-Fits-Superbike_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZQ7c301Q3a0Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a30QQ_trksidZp 4634Q2ec0Q2em14Q2el1262QQhashZitem3ef461894bQQitemZ270388005195QQptZMotorcyclesQ 5fPartsQ5fAccessories

He has them in different colours and for different size wheels. I received enough tape to do both sides of both wheels, with enough extra to do one side of one wheel.

Ash
May 11th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Looks good!

I just added rim stripes, and it did not turn out nearly as smooth as yours. Especially the first attempt. I'm hoping it won't be as noticeable once I get used to the irregularities.

Edit - I just added a pic, the other stripes improved with each attempt. I have one extra roll left so I will eventually attempt it again.

Jiu Jitsu Player
May 11th, 2009, 10:04 PM
That's the exact same guy I got mine from! I guess your stripes just look thicker in the pics.

ninjablk08
May 12th, 2009, 03:33 PM
here are mine , got them on e-bay Krayzie Graphics

Sound Wave
May 12th, 2009, 03:40 PM
nice jinjablk08! that is what i was planning on doing, except that i was also going to add the "monster" stripes on the side.

ninjablk08
May 12th, 2009, 05:20 PM
nice jinjablk08! that is what i was planning on doing, except that i was also going to add the "monster" stripes on the side.

me too lol