View Full Version : Consensus on a nice tank bag for 08 250

DsmRacing
May 11th, 2009, 07:11 AM
I'm tired of wearing a backpack, so it's time to purchase a tank bag. I'm looking for one that can hold close to what a backpack can do, but also fit on an 08 250. Maybe they all do, I have no idea, so looking for suggestions and what works for others.

Thanks,

Chad

Nemy
May 11th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Here's what I posted in the backpack thread. But it doubles as a tank bag when I carry heavier stuff.

I was in the same boat a couple weeks ago - looking for a pack for touring and commuting. For me, though, I was preparing for a tour down in the States so in an effort to save my back I ended up looking at backpacks that convert into tankbags.

Two of the best I found out there are the:
1) Rapid Transit Recon 19 Tankbag
2) Icon Urban Tankbag

Like you I was worried about my laptop, but I've seen a couple of reviews with no problems at all to their HDD. So I've ended up with the Icon just cause the RT wouldn't have fit my 15 inch. Construction seems a little flimsy and the zippers don't seem to be the best quality, but it still feels like it'll last awhile (hopefully).

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/ProductImages/OG/2007_Icon_Urban_Tank_Bag_Black_633244968082110306.jpg

and IMO it looks alot better in person

wyckedflesh
May 11th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Define: "Carries what a backpack can"

The 250R has a narrow tank, so alot of the tankbags don't want to sit right, the taller the tank bag the easier it is to obscure the gauges.

I have a Tourmaster "set"
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/ProductImages/300/633023082910070968tribag-tank.jpg

The set is three parts, and there is a strap base available seperately for non-magnetic tanks. I use the top bag which can carry about 1/4 of what my Oakley pack can for a weekend trip. For daily use...it carries what I need, which generally is a small flexible lunch cooler with a light lunch, 2 1ltr bottles of water.

The LARGER bag by itself can carry quite a bit. I would say it can carry just shy of what I can stuff in my Oakley Pack if I still plan to attach my helmet to the bag. I used to pack a pair of jeans, a couple of shirts, socks, and a sweatshirt in the main compartment and then what ever sundries/toiletries I needed for a weekend jaunt. On the 250R though, that bag is to big for the tank. Constantly shifts around because the side magnets can't get a good hold. Not to mention, for me, it tends to get in the way when doing very slow speed maneuvers.

From the same company, I have the http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/71/5581/ITEM/Cortech-TriBag-Tail-Bag.aspx

Which I believe is more like what you are looking for, and about $30 less then I paid for mine when I got it. It does include 4 bungee hooks, so it can be attached with the solo cowl, however, the pack will sit better on the passenger seat.

camaroz1985
May 11th, 2009, 09:08 AM
I use a Rapid Transport Recon 19. It is very useful and can hold just about anything you need for day trips or commuting.

zail
May 11th, 2009, 12:19 PM
I've got one of these:

http://www.oxford-shop.co.uk/item3121.htm

suits me better than a tankbag but you can buy tank or tail bag bases (or both!). On my daily commute it will fit my lunch, litre bottle of water, water proofs, spare shoes and jeans plus disk lock... It will also expand and expanded it would take enough for a couple of changes of clothes and stuff for a weekend away...

py2e
May 11th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Here's what I posted in the backpack thread. But it doubles as a tank bag when I carry heavier stuff.

+1

sm0kediver
May 11th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I got this one from 6th Gear, and I love it. It carries a lot of stuff and it's expandable. It will carry a full face helmet. It has hidden backpack straps. $59

speedgsx98
May 11th, 2009, 05:12 PM
I got the fieldsheer eiffel 2 tank bag from www.motorcycle-superstore.com

Basically two tanks bags. One slightly bigger than the other. It was $59.95. I ordered the one with a strap mount, but it came with a magnetic base also...pleasant surprise. The larger bag can fit a helmet inside. The smaller bag can fit inside the larger bag too. I keep a cargo net inside, and have the option of using both bags by putting one on the tail. You can zip them too each other so they are stacked vertically, but that gets a bit tall.

Sidenote: When looking at the dimensions on their website, their including the sidepockets on the slightly larger bag being fully stiffed. But really, the larger bag is only an inch wider and longer and one or two inches deeper.

I think it's great. Most of the time I just travel with the smaller bag. I ever took the large bag to North Carolina on my flight from San Diego on a 5 day trip as my luggage. I'm sold on it.

Suey250
May 13th, 2009, 05:32 PM
I have the Tourmaster Super 14 tank bag and it works well for me and the ninja :thumbup:

Flashmonkey
May 13th, 2009, 07:16 PM

OoOooOo i like that!! Where'd you get it? I'm copying you.

Nemy
May 13th, 2009, 09:58 PM
OoOooOo i like that!! Where'd you get it? I'm copying you.

I usually only go to two stores and you can always get them there - GP bikes in Ajax and Royal Distributing in Innisfill or Guelph. Great stores too btw

Flashmonkey
May 14th, 2009, 06:14 PM
I usually only go to two stores and you can always get them there - GP bikes in Ajax and Royal Distributing in Innisfill or Guelph. Great stores too btw

Yea I actually just came back from GP where I ended up buying a Scorpion jacket.....All of this fancy luggage is gonna have to wait until the next pay cheque :D

dmonaco05
May 14th, 2009, 07:13 PM
my joe rocket manta should be here monday. wont hold as much as a backpack but i dont really carry a lot of stuff and its small and not in the way. what do you bring with you on everyday rides and ill test fit and let you know if it can hold them or not.

addy126
May 14th, 2009, 07:25 PM
I use Joe Rocket Manta Bag... great for small run arounds and to offset for more storage I love the Fast Pack from "thecycleguys.com". Fit is for back pillion seat of the new gen 250.. no scratches on paint from bungee cords and hides away when not needed. Easy to get a leg up and over too. Also has luggage and racks specifically for sport style bikes.. I'm very pleased with the Fast Pack.... Has a video on its website.. check it out if you can. :thumbup:

00v_Lucky
May 17th, 2009, 11:28 PM
im with tim on the tank bags. My sister saw mine and wanted one too lol, little did she know it cost 100+. My point is, the icon urban tank bag is the best of both worlds. looks like a normal backpack and is an excellent tank bag as well.

ninjabrewer
June 19th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Has anyone tried or use the Firstgear Silverstone tank bag?

nb

Grn99Kawi
June 20th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Ya know what I would really like? A tank bag with a cupholder.. I NEED my coffee when I get to work... so I have a backpack that originally had a small water bottle that sits into a mesh pouch.. so I grab a coffee cup (sealable) and toss it in there.

At least Im almost ready for vacation anyway.. but would be nice to keep it straight for the 4 blocks that I go from Dunkin D's to work..

Adam