View Full Version : fuel gauge query

ninjanewby
August 18th, 2014, 01:36 AM
It's only happened to me twice. But the full light was flashing. I know that indicates low level get to a petrol station ASAP! But how many kilometers can u go before it runs out?!? Just wondering...... Not planning on trying it out either.

Alex
August 18th, 2014, 08:58 PM
The last bar should start blinking when there are 0.9 US gallons left in the tank, at least according to the manual:

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=840&pictureid=11866

If you don't have a copy of your owners manual, there is a sticky thread at the top of the 300 tech section.

ninjanewby
August 19th, 2014, 04:35 AM
Does anyone know the mpg whilst not going really hard? E.g. When the ECO is registering.

cadd
September 8th, 2014, 10:31 AM
I get 60mpg+

cadd
April 25th, 2015, 09:51 PM
Not to bring back an old topic....but I just experienced the fuel gauge blinking for the first time with 1 bar left. I normally fill up once I hit one bar (not blinking). It would just suck big time if I have to push the bike or wait for a buddy to bring me gas. *walk of shame* (been there, done that on previous bikes).

Anyways, does that last bar ever disappear before we run completely dry? Or is that last bar blinking the last warning we get before we run out of gas?

I'll be interested to see how much gas will go in the tank tomorrow. I only rode about 5 miles with the fuel gauge blinking.

I'll update you guys when I fill up tomorrow morning.

Hero Danny
April 30th, 2015, 08:37 AM
Not to bring back an old topic....but I just experienced the fuel gauge blinking for the first time with 1 bar left. I normally fill up once I hit one bar (not blinking). It would just suck big time if I have to push the bike or wait for a buddy to bring me gas. *walk of shame* (been there, done that on previous bikes).

Not to mention it damages the bike having it run out of fuel.

Also, If i'm good to the bike I get 70mpg (eco button on 24/7) my usually mix of nice riding and slight aggression nets me about 65mpg usually. And If I go crazy i'll get high 50's low 60's.

Gotta love these bikes!

APEmike
May 19th, 2015, 11:06 AM
When my 2nd to last bar turns of, 1 solid bar remaining, it only takes 2.6 gallons to fill up. I think my gauge is off...

cadd
May 19th, 2015, 11:20 AM
Yup. Sounds off to me. How many miles were ridden? I normally fill up around the 200 mile range and still only takes 3.5gal.

Alex
May 19th, 2015, 11:48 AM
When my 2nd to last bar turns of, 1 solid bar remaining, it only takes 2.6 gallons to fill up. I think my gauge is off...

How high are you filling up before stopping the pump?

APEmike
May 20th, 2015, 04:50 PM
Yup. Sounds off to me. How many miles were ridden? I normally fill up around the 200 mile range and still only takes 3.5gal.

158 miles. :dancecool: 62.5 MPG pushing 75-85 on the 14 speedway in SoCal between Lancaster and Newhall.

How high are you filling up before stopping the pump?

The only time I pay attention to how much goes in and milage is when I leave for a long trip, and want to figure milage. I fill it right to where it touches the bottom of the filler guide thingy (technical term) on a level surface so I can be consistant. Otherwise I let the pump stop it so I dont have to worry about expansion and the charcoal filter.

choneofakind
May 20th, 2015, 05:11 PM

[citation needed]

Sure about that, Danny?

APEmike
May 21st, 2015, 09:11 AM
[citation needed]

Sure about that, Danny?

It *can* damage the bike.

For injected bikes getting air in the line after the pump makes it run lean. Depending on the situation there could be no issues or detonation/heat issues. It can also cause the pump to overheat and shorten its life because its not immersed in a cooling liquid (fuel)

For carbed bikes, as fuel supply runs lower and lower the fuel pressure will drop due to being gravity fed. Less fuel = less weight = less pressure.

That being said on a street driven 250 or 300, chances of bad things happening to the engine are fairly small...

choneofakind
May 21st, 2015, 03:34 PM
You're forgetting that if the fuel pump runs dry, the engine will stop and the whole system will experience a no-run condition and everything shuts down. It won't run dry forever and burn itself out, which takes quite a while for an OE-quality fuel pump, not a couple seconds. Also, it sits in the fuel level, so it's always primed after you add more gas to it when it has run dry. So all you have to do to get back to regular, undamaged operation is cycle the key on and off to cycle the fuel pump a couple times and pressurize the system. I also would hazard a guess that a significant change in fuel pump amperage due to overheating or sucking air is cause for a no-run condition and would throw a light on the dash, at the very least.

Yes, I know well how head works, but the effect in this situation is minimal because vacuum from the carbs sucks fuel in. Suction from Venturi effect pulling fuel through the jets >>>> fuel supply head. It's only supplied by gravity, not fed and metered by gravity.

I was more asking for Danny to think his statement through and justify it, rather than just accept and regurgitate a random "fact" he read somewhere on the Internet. He should have said there was a risk of damage from running empty, not that the bike WILL GET DAMAGED if it runs out of gas.

reggae5
June 23rd, 2015, 03:46 PM
Had a chance to experience the blinking fuel light just a couple days ago. And I was on back roads so I went about 10 miles or so with the light blinking ( bar never did disappear ) parked it at home for the night. Then the next morning went out to the bike wondering if it would start up and it did and I drove about 1.5 miles to the gas station and it took 3.558 gallons. Does make one wonder if you drove carefully and the light started blinking if you could get 60 more miles mmm?

Tim Fox
July 31st, 2016, 08:35 PM

Also, If i'm good to the bike I get 70mpg (eco button on 24/7) my usually mix of nice riding and slight aggression nets me about 65mpg usually. And If I go crazy i'll get high 50's low 60's.

Gotta love these bikes!

Tim Fox
July 31st, 2016, 08:36 PM
There is a eco button?

cadd
August 1st, 2016, 06:25 PM
There is a eco button?

Yup. It's right next to the NOS button. Make sure you press the right one.