View Full Version : Securing Your Riding Gear

PitBull
May 12th, 2009, 11:08 AM
What does everyone do with their riding gear when making stops (going to a restaurant, shopping, etc.)? I wear riding pants, jacket, gloves & helmet so it can be alot of stuff to hang on to when you carry it with you. Any ideas you guys could pass along my way would be greatly appreciated.

BlueTyke
May 12th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Well I generaly don't take my motorcycle to window shop. When I go I usually have leathers on so I don't take the pants off. Helmet, gloves, jacket, camelback, backpack (which has cameras and other odds and ends). Usually gloves and camelback fit nicely in the backpack when not in use. I leave my pants on ( :eek: ) my stops are usually for food so I take everything in with me and try not to take up to much room. Usually we choose a table which I can then drape my jacket over and I safely tuck my helmet under my chair with my backpack beside me.

If I am traveling with my harley friends they let me stow stuff in their saddlebags :D

Apex
May 12th, 2009, 11:58 AM
I have a backpack that I put a lot of stuff in. For the most part, I carry everything else. :)

I may rethink that later on, but for now, it works.

ARF07
May 12th, 2009, 12:07 PM
I leave the jacket on (unzipped so it doesn't get hot)..buckle up the helmet and use it to hold my gloves. That way you've got a free hand and lots of pockets :)

PitBull
May 12th, 2009, 12:24 PM
I was thinking about getting one of those bicycle cable locks to use to run it through the sleeve of my jacket & pants leg...then secure it to my bike. I'm just not sure if people might mess with my stuff if I leave it locked to the bike....

Snake
May 12th, 2009, 12:35 PM
I was thinking about getting one of those bicycle cable locks to use to run it through the sleeve of my jacket & pants leg...then secure it to my bike. I'm just not sure if people might mess with my stuff if I leave it locked to the bike....

Thats actualy not a bad idea. Once people see the lock they won't mess with it. Too afraid that the big bad biker might catch them.

Snake
May 12th, 2009, 12:36 PM
For quick stops to eat at a fast food joint I put everything in my tank bag and park by a window so I can watch my bike while eating.

bob706
May 12th, 2009, 12:58 PM
I leave the jacket on (unzipped so it doesn't get hot)..buckle up the helmet and use it to hold my gloves. That way you've got a free hand and lots of pockets :)

+1. Also it looks cool walking around with motorcycle gear in the home depot:D

ManyCavies
May 12th, 2009, 01:13 PM
I have an 08 so my helmet fits under the rear seat but I also have a kryptonite that I use to secure my bike and gear when I am at work and such
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=125&pictureid=1432
you can see the silver cable around the fender. I got it at Big Five for 15 bucks.

BlueTyke
May 12th, 2009, 01:20 PM
There you go!! Another reason to get an 08! Helmet under the rear!

Can't do that on mine because of clearance and pipes... ><' Even still if I was to use the built in lock on the side I wouldn't do it if I am going to be long or out of sight of the bike... That pin just doesn't look sturdy enough.

On the other hand there are helmet locks that go onto your handlebars... ANyone use those?

ManyCavies
May 12th, 2009, 01:30 PM
What makes you say the pins aren't strong enough? I have been doing it all the times I ride, is there something I should know?

kkim
May 12th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Crissy,

can't you store that cable store under the passenger seat?

ManyCavies
May 12th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Not with my inhaler and glasses:D

tjkamper
May 12th, 2009, 02:03 PM
I am usually commuting to the office, so I have a hanger and shelf in my Office to hold my gear. But when I go to Classes, it is a PITA to take everything with me. I usually just find a chair in the back and dump my gear there. I leave my helmet on the bike using the hangers. If someone really wants to steal it, they either have to cut the strap and the helmet is useless or pick a lock. So I don't worry about it too much. At work I take my lid in and put it on the shelf.

PitBull
May 12th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Does anyone have a problem using the supplied helmet hook under the passenger seat? I can't seem to get the seat back on if I use it. I have a size small helmet so maybe that is the problem. It seems like the strap is too short.

kkim
May 12th, 2009, 02:27 PM
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_geC920GCq38/SPeIXTXp6mI/AAAAAAAABOo/A3kuIb5sYok/s512/DSC04131-1b.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_geC920GCq38/SPeIXM3wcSI/AAAAAAAABOg/6ctxP6pIgv8/s512/DSC04129-1.JPG

tjkamper
May 12th, 2009, 02:40 PM
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_geC920GCq38/SPeIXTXp6mI/AAAAAAAABOo/A3kuIb5sYok/s512/DSC04131-1b.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_geC920GCq38/SPeIXM3wcSI/AAAAAAAABOg/6ctxP6pIgv8/s512/DSC04129-1.JPG

I had the problem when I first got the bike. I learned that if you hook only one of the metal loops from the helmet under so it falls in the little groove on the hook, the problem goes away and the seat snaps down perfectly.

PitBull
May 12th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Just went out and tried it and that's exactly what I had to do. I just put one of the loops on the hook. It was still a tight fit though because the strap on my helmet is really short. Thanks!

tjkamper
May 12th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Here it is on your bike. Just get the loop to go into the goove. Try holding it upright and then slipping it into place and pulling it flat.

Snake
May 12th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Does anyone have a problem using the supplied helmet hook under the passenger seat? I can't seem to get the seat back on if I use it. I have a size small helmet so maybe that is the problem. It seems like the strap is too short.

Like blue Tyke said. The gen helmet lock is dificult to use due to clearance issues with the pipe and if you manage to hook the strap without burning your hand you winde up burning the helmet. I'll be glad when I put on the Area P full exhaust and won't have a pipe there.

speedgsx98
May 12th, 2009, 03:34 PM
i like the idea of running a cable ock through the jacket and pant leg. You could even run the cable through the helmet as well. But I just take everything with me.

I got a $0 deductible for comprehensive(theft/vandalism) so I don't lock my bike. My insurance is only $9.90 a month =)

Jiu Jitsu Player
May 12th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Im not comfortable leaving my gear on the bike while Im not around. All it takes is for someone to cut your helmet strap. They may not be able to use it but they've also just screwed you out of your helmet too. Not to mention people who just like to mess with stuff. I see people leave their helmets on their bikes all the time at the movie theater and restaurants. Not me. I know a guy who did that and came back to find a melted cup of ice cream inside his lid. No thanks!

ManyCavies
May 12th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Im not comfortable leaving my gear on the bike while Im not around. All it takes is for someone to cut your helmet strap. They may not be able to use it but they've also just screwed you out of your helmet too. Not to mention people who just like to mess with stuff. I see people leave their helmets on their bikes all the time at the movie theater and restaurants. Not me. I know a guy who did that and came back to find a melted cup of ice cream inside his lid. No thanks!

That sucks :(

motorcycle_munge
May 12th, 2009, 06:03 PM
I secure my helmet to the helmet lock on the back seat. I run a cable lock through the sleeves on my jacket and secure it to the bike being sure not to get it on any hot spots. So far I haven't had any problems with anyone messing with my stuff. Occasionally I'll have my back pack or tank bag with me, I just carry those around.

DirtyBoy
May 12th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Thats actualy not a bad idea. Once people see the lock they won't mess with it. Too afraid that the big bad biker might catch them.
I'm not so sure that theory works on a 250. Most people think they're 'girl' bikes anyway. A pair of bolt cutters that will cut through those cables like nothing. Also a cable lock will not prevent vandalism, so i leave nothing behind.

ninjabrewer
May 12th, 2009, 06:55 PM

I heard about someone else that went out to his bike and found that someone had peed in his helmet.

nb

ScraitT
May 12th, 2009, 07:52 PM
My helmet just sits on the ground next to the bike and my jacket gets swung over the front of the bike...gloves usually tucked up under the windshield so they don't blow away.

If someone REALLY wants my stuff that bad then they can have it. Just like bike bike, it's never locked up in any way (it'll be in the garage in a couple of months though).

I'll probably come out one day and have my stuff missing and I'll be pissed, but I'd rather just ride and enjoy things then constantly try to lock everything up and carry everything around with me.

thsadmin
May 12th, 2009, 08:14 PM
I just lock my helmet to the handle bars with a cable & lock, the rest goes in my back pack, I wear my gear around when I shop or use my legs around town. Back pack gets a little annoying.

Nemy
May 12th, 2009, 08:36 PM
There you go!! Another reason to get an 08! Helmet under the rear!

Can't do that on mine because of clearance and pipes... ><' Even still if I was to use the built in lock on the side I wouldn't do it if I am going to be long or out of sight of the bike... That pin just doesn't look sturdy enough.

On the other hand there are helmet locks that go onto your handlebars... ANyone use those?

how come? I used to use the helmet hook on the 06 all the time. No clearance problems with the stock pipes and I think it's actually sturdier and alot easier to place than the new ones.

On the 09 I do the same. If I don't feel like the helmet will get in the way, I'll carry it with the gloves inside. Otherwise, I'll hook em up to the bike under the seat

tjkamper
May 13th, 2009, 05:18 AM
i like the idea of running a cable ock through the jacket and pant leg. You could even run the cable through the helmet as well. But I just take everything with me.

I got a $0 deductible for comprehensive(theft/vandalism) so I don't lock my bike. My insurance is only $9.90 a month =)

Who is your insurance with?

addy126
May 13th, 2009, 05:37 AM
Hey Sunny.. I had an 07 N-250 and relocated the helmet lock to the rear licence plate bar upper left corner. Just use a bolt and locknut set up then angle it up left to right to clear that little seated nub over the plate. Worked great when popping in and out of places and I didnt want to be loaded down with helmet. Left stock screw in original hole for returning it to stock position when traded in.. Really u should try it.. Pics below and the set up clears all pipes. Butts up against nothing if done on the left side of plate... Addy

addy126
May 13th, 2009, 05:42 AM
2007 N-250 Helmet Lock Relocation

BlueTyke
May 15th, 2009, 06:07 AM
That is an interesting solution but I would be to worried of someone walking by and bumping the helmet. Knocking it around doesn't seem like a good idea. It just hangs there right?

With the handlebar lock it just rests on the handlebars...

Like this http://www.helmetsecure.com/

Cali619
May 15th, 2009, 06:11 AM

Thats all I use to lock up my jacket and helmet to the bike with. If your planning to leave the stuff in an area where you think people will steal your stuff just take it with you.

addy126
May 15th, 2009, 06:21 PM
I never use anything that locks with "cables" of any length. Those guys and their "bolt cutters" make fast work of any cable. The relocation of helmet lock never let the helmet swing... besides one small bump and the gorilla alarm chirps warning. I'm very picky about my helmets and protecting the finish.. I didnt hesitate at using the relocation. Unless you park on a subway platform cant see bumping on the helmet is a big issue unless its deliberate. On a fast jaunt into a store I used it. A long shopping event I carry in. Carrying it in... great! I love watching women stare and whisper... "a woman riding a sport bike?? Ewwwwww" lol... "idiots" .. :censored: but that's a whole other thread! lol

Banzai
June 26th, 2009, 11:55 AM
It all comes with me, all the time. Too much opportunity for vandalism, especially now that school is out and all of the hoods have nothing better to do with their time all day.