View Full Version : just mounted Pirelli MT-75's

speedgsx98
May 12th, 2009, 02:26 PM
And like I thought, I am finally able to get the rear tire off the ground under hard braking on the right pavement. A feat unattainable with the OEM tires that were 8 years old, even though there was plenty of tread remaining. I never pushed the old tires. Never wanted to try. After mounting these today, I got out on the road and began to lean the bike over in the turns and actually accelerate a bit with the bike leaned over. I think this will be fun.

I'm too cheap, so I changed them myself with flathead screwdrivers using cut up pieces of plastic milk jug to protect the rims. I live in a condo, so there was a lot of up and down the stairs, and I had to take them to the gas station to seat the beads. But, I got it done in a couple hours time. If I had a garage it would've taken half the time. Oh, and balancing on jackstands using the axles sux. They prob aren't well balanced, but whatever. I rarely take this thing over 85 anyway.

A note about these tires...

Just the other day I changed from the stock 14t frt sprocket to a 15t.

That changed my RPM's from 8900 @75mph to 8175. Now with the smaller Pirelli rear mounted, the RPM is now 8550 @ 75mph. So, gained back half the RPM I had lost with the gear change. If I keep the bike long enough, I'll change the rear sprocket to one tooth smaller when the time comes.

Also, the Pirelli looks NOTICEABLY skinnier on the rear. But, as long as it grips, who cares?

That's it!

Snake
May 12th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Congadulations on the new tires.
I just changed over from OEM to Pirelli Sport Demons and noticed improvement in handling as well. I haven't tried to lift the rear tire though and probably won't. I'm too old for that.

Apex
May 12th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Congadulations on the new tires.
I just changed over from OEM to Pirelli Sport Demons and noticed improvement in handling as well. I haven't tried to lift the rear tire though and probably won't. I'm too old for that.
Same here. Swapped them, but haven't been on the bike yet. Found out my chain (clip style) was missing the clip. So I had to order another chain (Rivet style). Waiting for that to come in. So th earliest I can ride would be Thursday evening, maybe Friday.

nate-bama
May 31st, 2009, 03:35 PM
got it mounted today im spining 9000 @75 , i like the tire so far and i plan on getting the 15 tooth front to knock it down a bit

nate-bama
June 19th, 2009, 07:46 PM
my rears been on a few weeks now and my stock front scares me so i ordered a mt front last night. grip is great on the rear , wind can cause the rear to feel loose at high speed but no biggie

Apex
June 21st, 2009, 01:27 PM
I've been on my PSD's for a while now, WOW. Dunlop's are pieces of, well, you know... lol

I love the sport demons. I think I have found a favorite tyre. I'm ready for a track day now!

nate-bama
June 26th, 2009, 08:43 PM
now that the bike has no dunrocks it feels great. my rear mt has been on a few weeks and when cornering hard i could feel the fronts lack of grip ive only put 50 or so miles on it so far but wow big diff..oh and i dont think theres a much cheaper tire that can be used