View Full Version : I got a new toy tonight :)

noche_caliente
May 12th, 2009, 09:15 PM
And unfortunately, it will be taking the place of my baby ninja for a little while. Went to see the ortho today and the prognosis on the knees isn't good - I threw the left one out on Friday by rolling over in bed when I woke up - ugh - and the right one is still all 'buggered up' from 'the incident' in August. Since I don't particularly trust either one of them to walk right now, I am not going to put my baby at risk.
So after getting the MRI orders, we went and bought an elliptical trainer to help strengthen the quads and hopefully snap the knees back into alignment. I tried the fat burning program, and made it to all of 5 minutes before I felt like I was going to puke! The only thing that made me feel better was that the hubby didn't make it quite that long :)
Still waiting for the MRI to be scheduled, and then we'll go from there....

zartan
May 12th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Enjoy the new toy.. I think UGH. Sorry you are hurting.

thsadmin
May 12th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Sorry to here that ... maybe invest in a (Ninja) Trike ... if only they made them. Ninja Trike would be a cool mod though ...

0I78lHTMfJk

komohana
May 12th, 2009, 11:15 PM
glad (though i know you might not be) you've decided to 'heal thy-self' and got the trainer. take yer time, work up to goals on that puppy slowly, and you'll reap the rewards i'm certain.
(know ya know that...but wanted to say it anyway)

thoughts to ya,
aloha

Jiu Jitsu Player
May 12th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Swimming is also great excercise for strengthening your joints while placing minimal stress on them. I don't know what your pool/beach access is like, but if you get the chance to swim you should go for it. Its alot less strain on your body than the elliptical.

Sound Wave
May 13th, 2009, 12:24 AM
i didn't realize that your knees were that bad... or maybe i forgot. sorry to hear that. not sure if i told you before, but my wife had to get both her knees and her left elbow replaced due to arthritis. i can understand how something as simple as rolling in bed can cause an injury. she has injuries from seemingly simple things.

i hope your eliptical trainer helps. that is a good no impact exercise. along the lines of what jiu jistu said, for some variety, you could also try walking back and forth in the pool. it will help to strengthen your muscles with minimum impact. plus you will be able to work on your tan. :)

Snake
May 13th, 2009, 04:20 AM
I'm sorry to hear that you are hurting.
I have trained on an eliptical trainer and you get a lower and upper body workout from it. It's also low impact.

Apex
May 13th, 2009, 05:28 AM
Get better soon! I know what it is like to be held back from something you enjoy. :)

Keep a positive attitude!

NICUNinja
May 13th, 2009, 05:59 AM
Ouch...both knees thats terrible. The elliptical will help but swimming is even better with less impact on your knees. Good luck and take care, your baby will be waiting for when you can safely ride again. :)

OldGuy
May 13th, 2009, 07:10 AM
:whatshesaid: Only takes one word to describe your situation - SUCKS. As Trista and other said pool work is great for building overall strength and cardio without impact on the joints. We'll be thinking of you.

noche_caliente
May 13th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Thanks everyone. The MRI was scheduled for next Tuesday, and my follow-up is the week after that, so it will be a while beforew I know anything more. I miss my baby - not riding is killing my, but I don't want to make the situation worse if there were an emergency and I needed my right leg for something :(
Posted via Mobile Device

Snake
May 13th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Sorry to here that ... maybe invest in a (Ninja) Trike ... if only they made them. Ninja Trike would be a cool mod though ...

0I78lHTMfJk

Leave it up to my buddy. Just ask and he can do it.