View Full Version : Now I know why old3 has no balls

eddiekay
August 31st, 2014, 05:27 PM
I read a number of his posts warning about the steering bearings on the 300 as well as a reasonable amount of other comments that agreed.
The dealer said don’t worry about it, a few friends said don’t worry about it so I stopped thinking about it. The dealer and my friends were wrong.
7200 miles on the bike, upper bearing set.
I never felt like there was anything wrong until old3 put the Hard Racing bearing kit in and I felt the diffrerence…I can only describe the steering now as feeling very precise without a hint of any wiggle. Not like it used to feel wrong but now it feels right.
Is it a big deal to have 1 bearing broke ? Maybe not to a street rider like me.
But I do know that the broken ball would have damaged the others, which would’ve damage even more others. So, the problem was solved before it became a problem . Thanks to old3 for being generous with his time and skill.

ninjamunky85
August 31st, 2014, 06:17 PM
Yeah, I should probably replace the steering bearings in my 300 too. But everything feels fine to me. I can take my hands off the bars at 50 mph and they don't even wiggle. :idunno:

eddiekay
August 31st, 2014, 07:12 PM
Evrything felt fine to me too because I got the bike that way....felt just the same as the 250...no probs, no wiggle nothing wrong. But after the tapered roller bearings were put in I got t thinking that "Ohh, yeah...this is what an expensive bike feels like". Is it worth having a shop do it...not for me until it was really necessary but if I were able to do stuff like this myself, I'd do all the stuff you read about here.

JohnnyBravo
August 31st, 2014, 08:06 PM
Might be what I buy after grips :thumbup:

Sirref
August 31st, 2014, 11:29 PM
can you provide a link to the bearing set that you used?

tfkrocks
August 31st, 2014, 11:42 PM
can you provide a link to the bearing set that you used?

It's just the All-Balls bearing set. Amazon is cheapest. Same set for the pre-gen, new-gen, and 300.

choneofakind
September 1st, 2014, 06:03 AM
All balls has 2 sets that work; replacement balls or a set of tapered rollers. I use the rollers.