View Full Version : DIY Fender Chop

Tubesock
May 15th, 2009, 03:16 PM
I really want to chop the fender off myself and save my money, but I can't find anything that has good instructions and advice. Does anyone have a site they can send me to or advice from personal experience?

New pictures of results at the bottom!!!

kkim
May 15th, 2009, 03:20 PM
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=964&highlight=rear+fender+modification

Tubesock
May 15th, 2009, 03:27 PM
how did HKr1 do his?

kkim
May 15th, 2009, 03:30 PM
how did HKr1 do his?

pm him and ask. :)

Tubesock
May 15th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Good idea!

kkim
May 15th, 2009, 03:40 PM
sorry... found something for ya! :)

http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?t=104802

Tubesock
May 16th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Ok so I did a DIY job on my fender, went to my friends houses and borrowed his dad's tools. Not that bad if I do say so myself, the only thing left to do is paint the parts that are white from sanding.

Buffalony
May 16th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Dont paint em....heat em.

a regular cigarette lighter works just fine.

Thats what I did. I chopped mine for nothing too.:D:thumbup:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=105&pictureid=1250
No LP wire loom in that pic though.

If you run the lighter over it back and forth, It'll smooth right over and looked rounded and formed, Instead of jagged and painted.Ya know? Good luck

Tubesock
May 16th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Wow thats a really good idea thanx!

Buffalony
May 18th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Wow thats a really good idea thanx!

:thumbup: what forums are for my friend.

kkim
May 18th, 2009, 08:45 PM
:thumbup: what forums are for my friend.

ahhh... so that's what they are for. :thumbup:

from some recent threads here, I thought is was about getting into pissing matches to see who's is bigger. :p

I do not want this forum to even consider going down the road KF has. :mad:

Buffalony
May 18th, 2009, 10:47 PM
ahhh... so that's what they are for. :thumbup:

from some recent threads here, I thought is was about getting into pissing matches to see who's is bigger. :p

I do not want this forum to even consider going down the road KF has. :mad:

HEEEEYYY KELLY

Following me in another thread I assume :rolleyes::D

I agree with the "Happy positive online community experience"

This cant go that route. There are so many great members here. I fear the trolls are catching on. Bad seeders are starting to sprout more frequently round here lately. I even find it hard to promote positiveness with out first lashing out at members because they have already gone overboard on another member.

I remember seeing folks who never used a forum ever, joining KF. Theyd ask a question only to get horribly flamed on using the search.. instead of answering the simple question then instructing on where/how to use the search.

I'd like some rules here to prevent or hamper what happens to most aged forums. It would saden me to not want to be here as ive been through that with so many other forums.

Alex
May 18th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Joe -

We all have a hand in making it work. In general, rules alone don't work. Egregious flaming always stands out and will be handled promptly, but I don't think that's sufficient. All it takes is realizing that sometimes the best way to handle something you wish you didn't read is to simply not respond. We're all guilty (and I'm definitely included in this) from time to time of posting something we wish we hadn't, and over time we learn that the best response to something that ticked us off may have been to not have one.

Growth is good, it gives us many more interesting people that we want to hear from and who want to hear from us. I'm hopeful it'll all work out. It's up to us. :thumbup:

kkim
May 18th, 2009, 11:03 PM
The best forums I've been on have been self moderated. it's up to each of us to guide others when we think guidance is needed.

When the animals get ahold of the forum, it's too late. Alex has a great way of staying out of things until some help is needed getting back on track. One of the better things I like about this forum is how well moderated it is in letting the members decide the direction for growth.

It also helps that Alex has no life and seems to be on here 24/7. :p

Buffalony
May 18th, 2009, 11:10 PM

+1 lol
This has to be a strength against other forums with 10+ moderators all with different tolerances. Will there ever be a time when its too much for one man to handle?

Alex
May 18th, 2009, 11:11 PM

Well, there is that. :ranger:

kkim
May 18th, 2009, 11:12 PM
...don't know, but he's doing a hellava job to this point. :thumbup:

Buffalony
May 18th, 2009, 11:15 PM
wow he caught that quick...lol good job sir

Back on topic:

kkim can you recall any $0 diy fender chop tutorials? If you have to buy L-brackets or LP lights would that count as a $0 chop?

I was thinking about doing one but mine is all finished and I really didnt grab any pics along the way. I think I might be able to half arse it with a couple of pics of mine ?

kkim
May 18th, 2009, 11:21 PM
I think a zero cost DIY on a fender chop would be priceless. :D

so many want to do this, but it's a bit intimidating whacking off something on a brand new bike. We don't have a DIY here yet, so if you could put something together, that would be super. :thumbup:

If you need some shots to help out, lemme know and I can give you access to my pictures for you to browse.

Buffalony
May 18th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Ok. thanks kelly. I originally fumbled around with the L-bracket chop. They didnt work well at all. I realized kawi already had everything needed for a cheap chop included with the bike. I'll just disassemble mine soon to take some pics of the parts I modified then have a DIY up by say the weekend at the latest. I'll pm ya for any pics I need that I cant find. Aloha auinapo

kkim
May 18th, 2009, 11:47 PM
cool... looking forward to it. I think a DIY for chopping the rear is very needed here... much along the lines of the shimming the carbs thread.

lemme know how I can help.

:)