View Full Version : Loud Exhaust

tjkamper
May 15th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Who has the loudest exhaust? What do you have? How much did it cost? How did you rejet your carb...Kit or Washers?

kkim
May 15th, 2009, 04:21 PM
loud exhausts suck!! :mad:

OldGuy
May 15th, 2009, 04:22 PM
OK - trick question. How are you going to judge who has the loudest exhaust. Without some readings (such as dba on the C-scale of a sound meter) you're headed down a rabbit hole. The rest of the questions are good.

OldGuy
May 15th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Hey Kelly get in line will you?

kkim
May 15th, 2009, 04:25 PM
hell no... no political correctness on this one. hot button!!:bash:

OldGuy
May 15th, 2009, 04:27 PM
How could I tell :rolleyes: Aren't you supposed to be tracking a satellite or something?

tjkamper
May 15th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Okay. Refraising the first question... If you have a loud exhaust please rate it on your experience with other exhausts on a scale of 1-10. (1 being about as loud as a humming bird and 10 being an Opeth Concert).

kkim
May 15th, 2009, 04:48 PM
and why is it you feel you need the loudest exhaust in existence?

mcteague
May 15th, 2009, 04:51 PM

I'm with you buddy. Technically they blow but, either way, it makes us all look bad. I almost feel like I have to qualify the type of rider I am when people learn I ride. I hate to be lumped into the loud, reckless, bad-ass biker group. I just love the feeling of scooting through tight turns. It's about the feeling, not the image.

Tim

tjkamper
May 15th, 2009, 05:08 PM
I don't necessarily need the loudest. I just am tired of the quiet stock can. I used to have an SV650 (Stock) and it was a lot louder than the little ninjette and I just want more sound. I can't even hear the bike over wind noise on the freeway so I have to ride by feel. I want something I can hear and others can hear.

dmonaco05
May 15th, 2009, 05:21 PM
get a 2bros, everyone says their really loud and their pretty cheap. im getting the slip on when i hit 1000 miles, but im getting the silencer power tip thingy too

ztrack157
May 15th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Sportisi VR with the supressor out is loud with it in its still loud. You wn'ot make as much hp as you woul with it in though. $335 for a full exhaust shipped to your door.

tjkamper
May 15th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Sportisi VR with the supressor out is loud with it in its still loud. You wn'ot make as much hp as you woul with it in though. $335 for a full exhaust shipped to your door.

So you are saying that with the silencer you get more power?
Is that the same if you rejet?

ztrack157
May 15th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Bram's brother confirmed I just asked him that remvoing it will reduce the low power band but I need to ask bram himself since I know he has done testing with it. Rejets on a full system is a given. It will be loud and give you the performance of the other exhausts For $150 less.

xpander37
May 15th, 2009, 05:45 PM

haha sup kelly! thanks for the invite on ninjette...nice forum it is....

well super loud isnt something i want... but i do want something that can be heard a bit.... more so for safety... when people hear a bike coming around the corner or zipping by em from the side.... it makes them be a little more aware that a two wheeler is nearby=)

GreezMunky
May 15th, 2009, 06:14 PM

loud exhausts rock!! :D

kkim
May 15th, 2009, 06:16 PM
it usually irritates the hell out of them, too, which makes all bikes look bad.

face it, the one that really needs to hear you... that soccer mom in her well insulated, air conditioned SUV with the stereo turned up or yakking on the cell, will never hear your loud pipe to make a difference in her trajectory.

It's up to you to avoid crashing into them by riding alert. Ride defensively, not offensively loud.

GreezMunky
May 15th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Ouch Kkim, a lil grumpy today?..

ztrack157
May 15th, 2009, 06:23 PM
KKIM has a point. there is a point between nice sounding exhausts and overboard to the point where it sounds like crap. Kkim do you want me to hold a green hugger for you.

kkim
May 15th, 2009, 06:24 PM
no... just tired of seeing the "loud pipes saves lives" gain any type of credence on this board.

and besides... i'm grumpy everyday... along with those other 6 dwarfs! :p

capt_bugaloo
May 15th, 2009, 06:25 PM
If you need to make a loud noise occasionally to get a cager's attention, your bike has a device called a 'horn'.

If you need to make loud noise constantly to stay safe, you need to take a very serious look at your riding ability.

GreezMunky
May 15th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Different strokes for different folks :whistle:

:beatdeadhorse: :focus:

xpander37
May 15th, 2009, 06:29 PM
either way, loud or not.... the perception of us crotch rocket riders will never change... we will always be the speed demon hungry riders to them....

even if not everyone can hear us with other distractions as in music, children, etc... every little bit helps imo.... drivers using two senses while driving is much better than one.... eyes only cover about 180 degrees of whats in front, but ears cover 360 degrees of whats around a person =), thats how i think of it anyway....

kkim
May 15th, 2009, 06:37 PM
eyes only cover about 180 degrees of whats in front, but ears cover 360 degrees of whats around a person =), thats how i think of it anyway....

entirely false. Do some reading of motorcycle accident analysis. Most people in cars don't hear the exhaust of the bike until they are behind the bike as it passes them or pulled up behind them.

The majority of people who really hear the bikes are the people not in cars, but on the sidewalks or roadsides. You can spot them by the cringing they are doing as that loud bike goes by.

OldGuy
May 15th, 2009, 06:44 PM
There are three or four HD's that I am occasionally behind on my commute in the morning and I will try to change my path/route to get out from behind them. They are so (*$&# loud I can't hear my own bike. Good news is I have enough feel for my bike that I don't need to hear it for a smooth start but . . .

Racer x
May 15th, 2009, 06:52 PM
ME

kkim
May 15th, 2009, 06:55 PM
you ride it on the street that way?

xpander37
May 15th, 2009, 07:01 PM
haha in all respect im not here to argue with u kelly.... you have your own opinion and i got mine.... being heard is still a helpful way to be seen in conjunction with defensive riding.... HD riders are the ones who should tone dwn the dba... im just here saying some sound is good.... and im assuming from your comments that you think i want to blow every persons eardrum out.....

Racer x
May 15th, 2009, 07:01 PM
O no way, I ran it at Maxton in the heat of June in 2008 . I got 106 mph .005 off a record .The noise and I mean noise was so loud the announcer said" "Here comes the angry bumble bee." when I would go by at 12000 rpm .

Since then I have purchased a Moto GP exhaust it has a 57 mm outlet . It is very loud but has better flow and scavaging.I ride a baffled Yoshi for the street.

kkim
May 15th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Tony,

Did you read the OP first post? He's looking for the loudest exhaust. Not which make the most gains or price/power ratio or even which looks the best... he wants the LOUDEST!!!!

Hell, I own an aftermarket exhaust, so I'm making more noise than a stock muffler, but I went looking for the quietest unit on the market and am still wanting it quieter.

Difference of opinion is great, but when your decision starts impacting the general public's perception of all sport riders due to overly loud exhausts, I get lumped in there too and feel a need to speak out about it. If it served a purpose... maybe, but most times it doesn't.

To me it's the same problem of the kids that get a dirt bike. The first thing they do is pull out the damned baffle so the bike makes more noise. They "think" the bike is faster and they love the attention they get from others when they ride by, but these kids don't realize that noise and dust are the two main factors that more and more offroad lands get closed down every year as the public's reaction turns disgust into laws. They are killing their own sport and they don't even realize it.

Sound familiar?

Racer x
May 15th, 2009, 07:34 PM
I don't like loud exhaust. Besides the loss of torque . You feel it when you run an open exhaust . I have to go to work at 6:30 am. I have a Yoshi with the baffle . I was looking at ways to quiet it some more.What I found was the baffle comes out with 1 allen screw. A 1/2 inch drive chrome Craftsman socket 1 inch size fits perfectly into the baffle.A spot weld will hold it . I am thinking off grinding the 1/2 inch drive hole out a little bigger and jetting to keihin#102 or keihin #104. It would loose some power but when not on the track I don't care.And I can take it out if I wanted to .

MrTiddles
May 15th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Area P short. So loud it hurts some times. Wanna buy it? I'll make you a deal.

kkim
May 15th, 2009, 07:39 PM
I have an Area P quiet core exhaust and like you, have been looking at ways to make it quieter. I just installed an insert made by AP for their line of mufflers. Still experimenting to balance sound level output with power output.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17448

Jiu Jitsu Player
May 15th, 2009, 08:43 PM
I have a loud 2 Bros and I love the sound. I'm not going around revving the engine excessively or anything. I just like the deep roar of the exhaust. Does that mean I'm making all riders look bad because my exhaust is a bit louder than normal?
Posted via Mobile Device

kkim
May 15th, 2009, 08:48 PM
that depends... do you see people cringing? ... and mothers running with their babies to get out of earshot from your bike? :p

Jiu Jitsu Player
May 15th, 2009, 09:18 PM
I do. But not because its loud. Because they're jealous they don't have a 250!
Posted via Mobile Device

Shift250R
May 15th, 2009, 10:38 PM
since the 250 revs kinda high to get going a loud exhaust can be really annoying and in my own opinion it gives away just how slow the bike really is. When I had the stock exhaust nobody could tell I was killing it to keep up with traffic lol.

Cali619
May 15th, 2009, 11:34 PM
I dont see why people argue about their personal preference on sound level of an exhaust. We all live in different places so it cant be that everyone shares the same stereotype one may have about "image" of one or the other...

Cochese
May 16th, 2009, 12:19 AM
Mine is pretty loud. I've put a hundred miles on it since I got it put together, but I like it. Not for the loudness. I'd kill for the small size and appearance of my exhaust with stock sound and more low end torque.

I had to decide what I wanted more (most) and the GSXR can won. One day, I'll get bored and cut it open and fill it with baffling.

capt_bugaloo
May 16th, 2009, 07:52 AM
I don't see why people argue about their personal preference on sound level of an exhaust.
Maybe it's because some people don't appreciate it when they get woken up at 7 AM by someone else's "personal preference"..?