View Full Version : Should I "Invade San Diego" Memorial Day Weekend?

paterick4o8
May 16th, 2009, 02:19 PM
So there's a ride from Northen Cali all the way down to SD 5/22 - 5/25

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270607&page=2

I'm really debating on if I should do this as I've been itchin to hit up So Cal since it's been a while, and I know I wanted to ride during this weekend since I'll be off work

I've never ridden this far or with this group of riders. It is newbie friendly, tho I'd say I'm more of a Veteran Newbie :D

Any opinions, suggestions on doing such a long ride?

I know I'll have to check my bike and make sure everything is working good, tire pressure is good, etc.

Also, any fellow ninjette SD riders willing to meet and greet as well or even ride with us??..

"About the ride once we get to San Diego: 356 mi – about 8 hours 43 mins of pure clean twisty road bliss around San Diego county. I'm talking about Palomar Mountain, Borrego Spings, Telegraph Canyon Road, Julian (Best Apple Pie), Hwy 94, Mt. Laguna, Sunrise Hwy, and Hwy 79. I would compare most of the roads to our very own Hwy 49 (east of Modesto). This is a newb friendly ride and we will follow the normal A, B and C formats with sweepers. 90% sure that we will have a pace truck with us."

Buffalony
May 16th, 2009, 02:21 PM
DO IT
I wouldnt miss that opportunity buddy.

Cali619
May 16th, 2009, 07:59 PM
those are nice roads and would be a good experience for you i think. I may be able to meet you and greet/ride on a sat or sunday.

Snake
May 16th, 2009, 08:35 PM
I say go for it. No telling what new friends you will meet.

islanderman7
May 17th, 2009, 06:15 AM
Do It

NINJETTE09
May 18th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Please keep me posted. I wanna join the ride....e-mail me at EDITED with whatever your plans are...I'm in Southbay san Diego (close to Telegraph canyon)...

paterick4o8
May 19th, 2009, 06:12 AM
Please keep me posted. I wanna join the ride....e-mail me at EDITED with whatever your plans are...I'm in Southbay san Diego (close to Telegraph canyon)...

yo. PM sent.. it'd be dope to have you join us. FYI.. we're cutting out to ride at about 7am!!! besta see you there :p

paterick4o8
May 20th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Looks like I'll be doin the damn thang and riding down to SD :)

Buffalony
May 20th, 2009, 08:11 PM
sweeeeet. Have fun. give us ride report.

paterick4o8
May 25th, 2009, 10:23 PM
so just got back from SD this evening after leaving on Friday morning.
MAN what an experience! SD has some nice a$$ smooth, clean roads :) my favorite of the bunch, Telegraph and Palomar Mt.

We rode all day Saturday as planned.
Some highlights:
1) PALOMAR! one of the coolest roads I've ever ridden and probably in the state of CA! non-stop twisties climbing up to an elevation of 5000 ft! view was nice. It's a challenging road yes, but definitely doable. The real challenge is, riding it FAST, like knee draggin fast!
2) Mother's kitchen at the top of Palomar--some nice healthy food, no meat is in their dishes
3) Getting riding tips and, on Palomar I touched knee for the first time, 3x in a row, once was toe slider and knee slider at the same time haha
4) getting into Prospect Bar & Lounge in La Jolla and Sin Niteclub in downtown with ease, since the organizer of this trip knew the the owners since back in the day
5) meeting the other riders from Blazin Squad and SD
6) seeing how the bad ass riders ride on Palomar on Sunday mornings
7) on Saturday, 1 rider went down in a black R1.. I don't feel sorry really as he and some other local SD riders with us were acting like squids. He was trying to pass on the opposite lane with car heading right for him and then cut back in the lane again, but locked up his brake to avoid hitting the car in front of him. he wasn't in full gear either.
some other stupid also had an all chromed silver R1 with very loose leather 1-piece suit and was trying to pass other riders who were already passing cars at the same time. he was riding like a douche

but yeah mostly Palomar is my highlight, I'm lovin that hill. If you practice riding that thing, it will help boost your skill as a rider... almost felt like a mini track day haha

some scary news: I'm running the stock Bridgestones and a bunch of the people who were watching and taking pictures of us trying to knee drag said that my back tire was wobbling.. it was spinning faster on the side I was leaning on, on my very very thin chicken strip.. so apparently, if I'm gonna keep trying to drag they said I should get some new tires, or if not, at least just be smoother on the throttle

some shots bellow from locals who do it as a hobby/job.. not the greatest shots of me, but eh, cool

Alex
May 25th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Nice pics! Thread moved to Ride Reports...

Cali619
May 25th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Sweet pics, the 94 between dulzura and campo is one of my favorites to cruise on with a few twisties. Palomar is hands down a good way to get your lean on. glad you had a good time and back in one piece unlike the squids.(unfortunately there are some squids/a-holes) but most riders on palomar are cool about slow riders like myself just learning.

Hey bro you missed these killer shots reppin the 250 on mama palomar

http://www.jpimagery.com/www/palomar/052409/index.html?show=pages/63198.html

http://www.jpimagery.com/www/palomar/052409/index.html?show=pages/63199.html

paterick4o8
May 29th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Sweet pics, the 94 between dulzura and campo is one of my favorites to cruise on with a few twisties. Palomar is hands down a good way to get your lean on. glad you had a good time and back in one piece unlike the squids.(unfortunately there are some squids/a-holes) but most riders on palomar are cool about slow riders like myself just learning.

Hey bro you missed these killer shots reppin the 250 on mama palomar

http://www.jpimagery.com/www/palomar/052409/index.html?show=pages/63198.html

http://www.jpimagery.com/www/palomar/052409/index.html?show=pages/63199.html

Sweet! Thanks for the links bro.
keep practicin and riding palomar, so you can rep and show how much potential our bikes have in the twisties :thumbup:

paterick4o8
May 30th, 2009, 09:54 AM
so thanks to the socal ninjette ride, here's a video of Palomar shown at a good speed so you can see what the road is like:

bpMQAkmFwfU

Only difference you can say for me is that I was going a bit faster and was pretty much in 2nd and 3rd gear, usually in the 9K or above RPM range in 2nd gear on the tighter turns

Buffalony
May 31st, 2009, 07:32 AM
Awesome. Thanks for the ride report. I'll be out there again....someday

paterick4o8
June 8th, 2009, 10:50 AM
so I just got some of the pics from the trip back from one of the other riders...

here's one of them (excuse crossing the white line, I did it b/c there was a lot of room and it was safe at the time):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/slmboypnoy/SD%20Invasion%20May%202009/IMG_1678-1.jpg

Alex
June 8th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Looking good! :kewlpics: