View Full Version : Zero to Daytona in 14 Days!

sam_wang
September 30th, 2014, 02:28 PM
I picked up a new 2014 Ninja 300 2 days ago with the intent to race it at Daytona in October. I'll start the 16-hour drive to FL on Oct 14, so I have 14 days to prep the bike. I decided to share the process on the forum - I know I enjoy following others' builds too.

Day 1

Put 56 miles on the bike as break-in before hitting the dyno once build is complete. I put my last race bike on the dyno with 0 miles on it and my tuner had me ride it on the dyno for 6 miles to break it in... it's no fun riding the bike on a dyno!

Replace kitchen table with bike :D. Not enough daylight in Ohio any more after work.

ninjamunky85
September 30th, 2014, 02:53 PM
Looks like fun, can't wait to see this build.

CC Cowboy
September 30th, 2014, 03:51 PM
I picked up a new 2014 Ninja 300 2 days ago with the intent to race it at Daytona in October. .

Are you using it for CCS? I can't see the Ninja 300 being fun at Daytona it's just too big a track to go around slowly.

Last year a 250 rider took out a faster bike. They both died.

bruce71198
September 30th, 2014, 04:58 PM
The trip from Ohio to Daytona will take less time than your 4 lap sprint race on a 300! Why not use the extra week for prep and go run the WERA GNF at barber the following weekend? And if your real adventurous skip the WERA nationals on Sunday and run up to the corvette museum in bowling green and run the first ever bike race on that track with MCRA. Both orgs have a way better ninja program than CCS.

csmith12
September 30th, 2014, 05:06 PM
Hi Sam!!!! Good luck and hope you do well. See ya at a MotoSeries banquette?

csmith12
September 30th, 2014, 05:07 PM
OH darn!!!! Does this mean you will be racing that 300 in the 250 class next year? :lolsign:

snot
September 30th, 2014, 06:15 PM
What part of Ohio are you in?
Good luck, I will be watching this thread.

Foxrider64
October 1st, 2014, 06:28 AM
Are you using it for CCS? I can't see the Ninja 300 being fun at Daytona it's just too big a track to go around slowly.

Last year a 250 rider took out a faster bike. They both died.

That's actually not the right story.

The two people who lost their lives were on 1000's. One was an instructor working with someone who was there for their first track day- not on a 250 or involved in the crash. The other person who passed away was coming off the banking and took a very strange dive down causing a collision.

BlownWideOpen
October 1st, 2014, 06:49 AM

The two people who lost their lives were on 1000's. One was an instructor working with someone who was there for their first track day- not on a 250 or involved in the crash. The other person who passed away was coming off the banking and took a very strange dive down causing a collision.

I think what he's saying, is that a 250 rider took a quicker bike for a spin on the track and he ended up crashing and dying.

sam_wang
October 1st, 2014, 07:57 AM
What part of Ohio are you in?
Good luck, I will be watching this thread.

Thanks, I live in Dublin, which is on the northwest side of Columbus.

sam_wang
October 1st, 2014, 08:00 AM
Hi Sam!!!! Good luck and hope you do well. See ya at a MotoSeries banquette?

Hey Chris, hope all is well! Yes, I am planning to be at the banquet... it will be good to see everybody again. Hopefully Todd will let me race the 300 with you guys, even if just for fun.

sam_wang
October 1st, 2014, 08:04 AM
The trip from Ohio to Daytona will take less time than your 4 lap sprint race on a 300! Why not use the extra week for prep and go run the WERA GNF at barber the following weekend? And if your real adventurous skip the WERA nationals on Sunday and run up to the corvette museum in bowling green and run the first ever bike race on that track with MCRA. Both orgs have a way better ninja program than CCS.

Barber is a great track! I've been there twice this year, but I haven't been to Daytona since 2008. I'll also be racing my Triumph Daytona 675. I'm looking forward to the weekend... it's fun to hang with the Biketoberfest crowd too.

sam_wang
October 1st, 2014, 09:18 AM
Day 2 (AM)

Started removing the stock bodywork, exhaust, and non-essentials. Initial impression is build quality is good. The stock bodywork boasts an impressive number of panels, bolts, and fasteners!

Opened up box to new Yosh R-77 exhaust and was surprised by how it was packaged. Contents were all in plastic bags and expanding foam was squirted everywhere in the box. I can guarantee you nothing shifted during shipping! It took me 10 minutes just to dislodge everything from the foam, and what a mess!

csmith12
October 1st, 2014, 09:20 AM
^^^^^ hahahahahahhahahah

CC Cowboy
October 1st, 2014, 12:42 PM

The truth is never as thrilling!

JohnnyBravo
October 1st, 2014, 02:34 PM
:smile-beerglass:

sam_wang
October 2nd, 2014, 10:03 AM
Day 2 (PM)

No real time to work on bike tonight. Installed Vortex swingarm spools and just started to test fit Armour Bodies before drilling. I've never used race bodywork that requires parts of the stock bodywork. The tailsection mounts to the stock plastic piece that runs up alongside of the fuel tank.

sam_wang
October 2nd, 2014, 09:11 PM
Day 3

No time to work on bike again today other than to install SSR 1/4 turn gas cap, but a bunch of parts were delivered. Like Christmas morning, but I'm also Santa!

Parts received:

Vortex sprockets
DID ERV3 chain
Woodcraft rearsets
Woodcraft clipons
R&G engine covers
R&G radiator guard
Dynojet PCV
Shorai battery
Spiegler front brake lines
Dunlop Unbeaten 02

I ran Pirellis on my 250, but since I've been running Dunlops on my Daytona 675 I thought I'd give them a try on the 300.

csmith12
October 2nd, 2014, 09:14 PM
Dunlop Unbeaten 02

Inquiring minds wanna know!

sam_wang
October 4th, 2014, 01:02 AM
Day 4

Finished drilling bodywork, taking it to the painter tomorrow. Blocked off the kleen air with a SSR block off plate and installed the power commander.

sam_wang
October 9th, 2014, 12:27 PM
Day 10

Unfortunately I've been too busy to make a lot of progress quickly. The lighting in my kitchen is horrible for photos, but I'll take pics this weekend when I take it to the dyno. Completed since Day 4:

Dunlops mounted and balanced
Vortex rear sprocket, will keep OEM chain for now
Yosh R-77 exhaust installed with Yosh muffler bracket. Very pleased with the bracket, which also has a place to mount the rear brake reservoir.
Spiegler front brake lines installed
R&G engine covers and radiator guard installed
SSR preload adjusters installed
Woodcraft rearsets almost finished

My painter should be finished with the bodywork this weekend.

csmith12
October 9th, 2014, 12:31 PM
Git r done!

Looking forward to seeing it all snazzy and ready for track.

JohnnyBravo
October 9th, 2014, 04:58 PM
I needa pull my durn air whatever stuff off and throw on some block off plates... How ya do it?

Dmj_88
October 22nd, 2014, 12:10 PM
Nice running with you this weekend Sam!

Foxrider64
October 23rd, 2014, 09:18 AM
Better question is how was Daytona???

csmith12
October 23rd, 2014, 09:24 AM

This and.... can we get a pic of the finished bike? Pretty please? Sam's stuff always looks hot.

Dmj_88
October 23rd, 2014, 09:32 AM
*Spoiler* it has a boo boo (but so does mine, it just adds character really...)

sam_wang
October 23rd, 2014, 11:22 AM
Nice running with you this weekend Sam!

You too Drew, maybe next time I can give you more of a run for your money!

:bow:

sam_wang
October 23rd, 2014, 11:32 AM

Daytona was great fun, even on the smaller Ninja 300. The adrenaline rush was less compared to the Triumph Daytona 675, but still a blast! I took second place in GT Ultralight and third place in Ultralight Thunderbike. I was very impressed and humbled by both Drew and Walter :bow:.

Overall my Ninja 300 ran well! I'm not satisfied with the feel of the front brakes, and I'm undecided on the Dunlop Unbeaten 02's. But overall I am pleased with the bike.

sam_wang
October 23rd, 2014, 11:36 AM
This and.... can we get a pic of the finished bike? Pretty please? Sam's stuff always looks hot.

Chris you might be disappointed this time... I did not have time to decorate the bike with decals. As Drew mentioned, I lowsided in Saturday morning practice and rashed up the bodywork. These photos were taken before the mishap!

Foxrider64
October 23rd, 2014, 11:57 AM
I was very impressed and humbled by both Drew and Walter :bow:.

Walter is a BEAST!!

A miniature beast, but a beast none the less.