View Full Version : Slip-on: Exhaust Popping?

Manimal
October 1st, 2014, 05:58 AM
As some of you may know, I had recently acquired a 300, used. It came with a Yosh slip-on already mounted. Any how, when rolling off the throttle, I hear an occasional popping ...... something similar and very common when upgrading the exhaust on the new gen 250; which required jetting or shimming, and or removing some emission plumbing.

Anyone know a fix for this?

BlownWideOpen
October 1st, 2014, 06:14 AM
Flux capacitor

thisisbenji
October 1st, 2014, 06:23 AM
You know.... some companies go through extra trouble to have their vehicles pop on deceleration. Ever hear an F-Type?

Hero Danny
October 1st, 2014, 06:40 AM
The popping I believe is because the exhaust makes your bike too lean. Only way to fix it would be a power commander to adjust the fueling map.

On a side note: I like the popping sound, especially when deceleration, my mussari did that... I really need to get a slip on for my 300.

BlownWideOpen
October 1st, 2014, 06:52 AM
I like the popping too, I removed my KLEEN air system on my bike and thought it'd kill it. But now it's crazier than ever, sounds like a banshee.

Malicious Logic
October 1st, 2014, 06:52 AM
I love the popping. Used to happen on my 250 with the 2 bros slip-on and my mustang pops pretty regularly.

Definitely think it's a bit funny that so many people strive for it and you're trying to get rid of it.

LittleRedNinjette
October 1st, 2014, 06:53 AM
Mine does it all the time (i have a two brothers slip-on). Feather the clutch a bit as you roll off the throttle and it stops. Not sure if there is a true 100% "fix" for it. I don't mind it myself, its not hurting anything i know of.

If it dose not have a power commander i would highly recommend getting one and mapping it for your pipe.

mania
October 1st, 2014, 07:02 AM
As some of you may know, I had recently acquired a 300, used. It came with a Yosh slip-on already mounted. Any how, when rolling off the throttle, I hear an occasional popping ...... something similar and very common when upgrading the exhaust on the new gen 250; which required jetting or shimming, and or removing some emission plumbing.

Anyone know a fix for this?

Actually all bikes pop but with the stock exhaust so heavily baffled you do not hear it.

Even if you put in a power commander/dynojet etc. EFI controller you will likely still have some popping on deceleration because the lack of baffling will let you hear it.

But.....If you want to decrease it to almost unnoticeable just close the throttle all the way when decelerating.
Try it you will see how well it works.
most dont realize they have it slightly cracked open even when they decelerate & think they are off throttle.

Just try it as it is easier done than explained. You will see a big improvement/reduction in popping

Somchai
October 1st, 2014, 07:14 AM
But.....If you want to decrease it to almost unnoticeable just close the throttle all the way when decelerating.

:thumbup:

subxero
October 1st, 2014, 10:16 AM
popping can be a symptom of an exhaust leak.

check all exhaust gaskets, joints in the pipe, ect...

alex.s
October 1st, 2014, 11:04 AM
when you close the butterfly valve it chokes on air. extra fuel goes past and doesn't burn and hits the hot exhaust pipe where there is a tiny bit of left over oxygen (compared to inside the cylinder where there is none left) and has a very small backfire. normally you don't hear it because of the heavy baffling in the stock exhausts. the extra fuel going through actually helps cool the valves when engine braking.

JohnnyBravo
October 1st, 2014, 04:03 PM
My exhaust sounded like 💩 till I changed to a high flow air filter... Probly not your issue, just on topic

JohnnyBravo
October 1st, 2014, 04:06 PM
If it dose not have a power commander i would highly recommend getting one and mapping it for your pipe.

The fuel moto is better :p

tfkrocks
October 1st, 2014, 04:38 PM
I had popping with the stock exhaust and I still have popping now with an aftermarket full exhaust with PCV. It amuses me so I don't worry about it *shrug*

JohnnyBravo
October 1st, 2014, 06:39 PM
I don't think I've ever heard a bike that didn't pop in one way or another... Just wait till your bike shoots flames out the pipe:dancecool:

Manimal
October 2nd, 2014, 08:11 AM
Flux capacitor

Only if I wanna sh*t myself anytime I wanna crack the throttle above 55+mph ..... lol

Thanks for the responses and insight as to why. FWIW, I have read posts that for a slip-on, an ECU change is not necessary. Any case, seems more common than not. Honestly, it doesn't bother or really concern me. And yes, it does add some additional character from the pipe, aside from the throaty rumble.

BlownWideOpen
October 2nd, 2014, 08:26 AM
Only if I wanna sh*t myself anytime I wanna crack the throttle above 55+mph ..... lol

Thanks for the responses and insight as to why. FWIW, I have read another posts that for a slip-on, an ECU change is not necessary. Any case, seems more common than not. Honestly, it doesn't bother or really concern me. And yes, it does add some additional character from the pipe, aside from the throaty rumble.

Throaty rumble? Sounds like... never mind. ;)