View Full Version : Ninja left out in the rain, bad?

joecool
October 7th, 2014, 06:19 AM
Hey guys.

I'm interested in a 2013 ninja 300 SE, the owner has left the bike in the rain with no tarp everyday in the summer to fall months. In the winter he stores it in his garage at least!

My question is, do you think any damage was caused by doing this? It's only a 2013 so the bike must of been improperly stored for only 2 years, will the electrical connections rust or digital display malfunction?

Thanks for any inputs!!:bow:

BlownWideOpen
October 7th, 2014, 06:22 AM
Montreal? Write off.

joecool
October 7th, 2014, 09:14 AM
Montreal? Write off.

lol! the bike is a 2013, I would say that its been left outside during the summer days while it rains or shines for 2 years, you think its to late? the damage is done?

Thanks!

Roark
October 7th, 2014, 09:16 AM
Without seeing the bike, there's no sure fire answer..

Go check the thing out! If connections look clean, metal is strong, and electrics work properly, there should be no reason to write it off.

Granted, the paint and seats may be prematurely faded. Worst case, low ball him!

csmith12
October 7th, 2014, 09:18 AM
Most likely there will be little to no damage. Fresh fluids (including gas), check the tires and chain. Should be good to go, but might need a few miles to fully wake up from it's hibernation.

BlownWideOpen
October 7th, 2014, 09:18 AM
lol! the bike is a 2013, I would say that its been left outside during the summer days while it rains or shines for 2 years, you think its to late? the damage is done?

Thanks!

I wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole. Just ask yourself how bad it's rained in the last 2 years (if you live in Montreal). Taking the risk is entirely up to you, obviously.

jkv45
October 7th, 2014, 09:44 AM
Is it running? Running well?

Look at the chain, brake rotors, and the fork tubes (between the upper and lower clamps mostly) for rust. Look inside the tank for rust.

I wouldn't personally write it off as junk just because it sat outside uncovered for some time, but it would have to be running for me to give any amount for it.

I would definitely offer significantly less for it than one that had been better cared for, but I would buy it at the right price.

dcj13
October 7th, 2014, 10:27 AM
How's it run?

allanoue
October 7th, 2014, 10:35 AM
Does it run? How many miles? Rain will not hurt it, the sun does more damage.

JohnnyBravo
October 7th, 2014, 10:41 AM
Ill take it

KawiKid860
October 7th, 2014, 11:02 AM
All of my bikes sit outside and everything I've owned is over a decade old and I've had exactly 0 electrical problems. The previous owners of my old CBR put it through a lot worse than just sitting outside lol. I wouldn't worry about it, especially on a bike that's only a couple years old, use it as a bargaining chip to knock the price down though. If anything a tarp probably would've rubbed off some of the paint.

salcuta88
October 7th, 2014, 11:29 AM
Why not just take it to a mechanic for an inspection. If it's good and it's a good deal, why not?

broken neck
October 7th, 2014, 12:10 PM
Come on,

That thing is made of plastic and steel... Since we can't ride motorcycle during winter months, that bike won't have seen salt or calcium in its life...

If it's clean, looks good, properly maintained and the price is right, buy it... There's not enough little Ninja in Montreal...

joecool
October 7th, 2014, 06:02 PM
Hey guys, thxs for the replys, the bike seems to run fine, no rust that i can see, it is lowered so i have to raise it.

Its has 3000miles and hes asking 3800$ cdn, thats prob $4200 us
Posted via Mobile Device

allanoue
October 7th, 2014, 06:57 PM
Hey guys, thxs for the replys, the bike seems to run fine, no rust that i can see, it is lowered so i have to raise it.

Posted via Mobile Device

More like $3200 US

joecool
October 7th, 2014, 06:59 PM
Sorry, yeah 3200$ us
Posted via Mobile Device

salcuta88
October 7th, 2014, 07:11 PM
Sorry, yeah 3200$ us
Posted via Mobile Device

Not a bad deal.

Kayakzack
October 7th, 2014, 07:21 PM
You can find a better deal. There are a ton of them listed in toronto that would be a better deal. I say keep searching.

Kayakzack
October 7th, 2014, 07:28 PM
Didn't realize you posted its a 300. Not a bad price. But the fact it's been left outside would still have me worried.

JohnnyBravo
October 7th, 2014, 07:33 PM
:clapping:

jkv45
October 7th, 2014, 07:36 PM

What's a current book value? I'd find a "low retail" or "trade in" price and get close to that for this one.

Also look around and see what other similar ones (in better condition) are going for in your area, and deduct at least $500.

joecool
October 7th, 2014, 07:41 PM
I have to consider also that a new 2014 ninja 300 se is $4500 + tax here, prob $4150 US, but i dont like the graphics of the 2014 se
Posted via Mobile Device

Klondike1020
October 7th, 2014, 09:09 PM
\
My question is, do you think any damage was caused by doing this?
Thanks for any inputs!!:bow:

The bike will suffer extreme emotional damage, experiencing resentment, isolation, loneliness.

The bike will neither care for him or respect him.

Making the bike primed and ready to run to your caring embrace.

- Mechanically, rain dont bother nothing . Neglect maybe would be an issue. salt certainly. But rain aint nothing but water from the sky.

Hardly anything to worry about . You can see if its a rusty hunk of junk.
And believe me these bikes dont melt in the rain..... even though some of their riders do ;)