View Full Version : DIY Lunch Bag Tank bag

Proteus
October 9th, 2014, 07:19 AM
Hey everyone, I haven't posted on here in a while. We went to Barcelona and things have been hectic with work and school and pets since we got back. I've still been riding every day and have been meaning to write up a couple ride report threads.

Anyway, to the point.

I take a bag and a lunch bag to work with me every day. I've been just stacking them on the pillion seat and strapping it down with a cargo net. It's worked just fine, but it's a hassle to strap everything down getting on and off the bike. Also if I need to get anything out of the bag or the storage compartment it's basically a 5 minute operation.

Lately I've been riding with just my backpack and it's actually pretty comfortable, doesn't strain me at all. That works great for the days I don't bring my lunch.

So I'm wondering if I could just stick some strong magnets in the bottom of my lunch bag and use it like a tank bag? I didn't find any DIY tank bag threads on here.

I work in industrial supply so I've got ready access to crazy strong magnets. My plan is to glue one in the bottom of the bag at each corner and then glue a sheet of vinyl over them.

I'm trying to figure out which magnets to get, my lunch is actually pretty heavy because we use all glass storage containers, but not more than a few pounds. How much of a load do I need to account for with momentum and wind?

JohnnyBravo
October 9th, 2014, 09:04 AM
I can't help your quest for knowledge, but I can commend you on your use of glass; it hurts my feelings anytime I buy real plastic... The plastic that's natural an biodegradable not so much, but it's a bit rare at this stage of its development.

LittleRedNinjette
October 9th, 2014, 09:08 AM
Check this out:https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108643

You could probably so something similar. I don't see why it wouldn't work for a lunch bag. :thumbup:

Proteus
October 9th, 2014, 09:37 AM
JohnnyBravo I'm not thrilled about putting plastic in the microwave either.
LittleRedNinjette thanks for the link. I'm going to give this a shot tonight!

JohnnyBravo
October 9th, 2014, 09:44 AM
Indeed... How about those folks that happily put styrofoam in the radiation machine an nuke it till it begins to melt, then pull it right out and go to eating.
I like living without any extra mutant parts growing in or on me :thumbup:

LittleRedNinjette
October 9th, 2014, 10:02 AM
Yuck... I've seen people do that..

greenaero
October 9th, 2014, 10:09 PM
@ Proteus, I regularly use a conventional duffle bag as my tank bag using 4 very strong magnets to secure it. The magnets I use came from Harbor Freight and were rated to hold 60# on a vertical surface if I recall correctly. They work great and I can easily carry pretty heavy loads in the duffle bag. I don't permenently secure the magnets to the bag; I just position them in the 4 corners. The only down side is that you need to be careful when removing the magnets that you don't let them stick together as you will need a vise and a lever to separate them. Cheap , effective and dirt simple.

Proteus
October 10th, 2014, 05:49 AM
Thanks, I'm going to try this out.

I didn't read the dimensions correctly on the magnets I got yesterday so now I have 8 little neodymium magnets the size of a pencil eraser. Not exactly what I was going for.

LittleRedNinjette
October 10th, 2014, 06:18 AM
:lol: oops!

JohnnyBravo
October 10th, 2014, 08:17 AM
I'm still pictureing these magnets stuck together an needing a vise an a stick to separate them :rotflmao:

CZroe
October 10th, 2014, 11:30 AM
Need a way to carry carbonated beverages!

Klondike1020
October 11th, 2014, 04:42 PM
So I'm wondering if I could just stick some strong magnets in the bottom of my lunch bag and use it like a tank bag? I didn't find any DIY tank bag threads on here.

I work in industrial supply so I've got ready access to crazy strong magnets. My plan is to glue one in the bottom of the bag at each corner and then glue a sheet of vinyl over them.

I'm trying to figure out which magnets to get, my lunch is actually pretty heavy because we use all glass storage containers, but not more than a few pounds. How much of a load do I need to account for with momentum and wind?

Please search for "hello kitty bag" to see another forum members home made magnetic tank bag/.

ALSO 0 - opportunity for you to step up at this point and make a great DIY video!

Also I use the rare earth magnets out of hard drives that I retire. They work great and I get the added benefit of recycling.

You can use any random magnets. If you look at the magnetic tank bags for sale they have flaps that hold the magnets that fold out and wrap even further around the tank for better attachment. We used my GFs bilt magnetic tank bag and it worked great all weekend being totally loaded. It would make a great little lunch caddy.

I would sew, or zip tie the magnets on before covering them to be certain that it would not detach. I would use an old lunch bag.

Proteus
October 13th, 2014, 06:54 AM
When I finally get around to it I'll make a DIY. We just got another dog so things are bit hectic with the two of them running around all day long.

JohnnyBravo
October 14th, 2014, 09:19 AM
:popcorn:

iamjacob
October 16th, 2014, 12:38 AM
I know it's not a tank bag but for the $70 I have invested in the aluminum and top case, I don't think you can beat my luggage. I take a laptop bag an lunch to work every single day.

You say that you''re comfortable with your backpack but I couldn't do it. I dreaded my ride with my laptop bag loaded with all of my stuff.

Proteus
October 16th, 2014, 01:05 PM
I know it's not a tank bag but for the $70 I have invested in the aluminum and top case, I don't think you can beat my luggage. I take a laptop bag an lunch to work every single day.

You say that you''re comfortable with your backpack but I couldn't do it. I dreaded my ride with my laptop bag loaded with all of my stuff.

That looks nice! I've been thinking about picking up an ebay pillion seat and bolting a small duffle bag or something to it like I saw someone post on here.

iamjacob
October 16th, 2014, 03:06 PM
That's exactly how I started. I bough a rashed up pilon seat for cheap and stripped it down to use for the base of the top case.

Unfortunately once I had it all mocked up I just didn't trust the lock to hold the case with my laptop and stuff inside. It might work fine if all you plan on putting in it is your lunch.

wardie
May 13th, 2015, 01:51 PM

I did the same thing and carried enough clothes and rainsuit for 11 days on the 250 Ninja from Ohio to Barber Motorsports Park then to Daytona ad 2700 miles later back to Ohio!

My plate uses well nuts that push through the tail frame cross members. It's not going anywhere. The 32 liter case snaps on and locks with a key. I do not have any question that it is securely fastened and mine like iamjacob sits directly over the rear axle making handling easy pessey.